Gun Hub Forums banner

Remington 870 express tactical arrived today.

3K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  590a1 
#1 ·
Well the Remington 870 express tactical arrived today. It's model number 81198.

I replaced the mim extractor with a machined one. I also replaced the follower with an S&J delrin type 3 follower in orange. It loads smooth as butter and loads all 6 rounds in the tube consistently without binding.

Tomorrow when it gets here I'll install the limbsaver butt pad.

This one came with the lifetime warranty. Which may not mean anything if Remington goes under lol.

The bluing is the blackest bluing I've ever seen. It almost looks like a deep maganese black parkerizing.

I got it all oiled up and cleaned, sprayed down the outside with eezox and put it in a silicone gun sock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
I got the police trigger group installed and the Wilson combat jumbo safety installed in it.

I also installed an upgraded black carrier dog spring in the stock polymer trigger group. Having the silver bullet tool makes this a breeze.

#7 ·
Well I put 50 more rounds of the federal field and target loads through it and it cycled fine. I moved on to some fiocchi low recoil buck and it had 6 stove pipes in 50 rounds. I don't know if it was a lubrication issue or what. I'm probably gonna send it back to Remington at some point.

#8 ·
You know, I was following the "if you can't say something nice" rule when you said you picked up a Remington, but I wish I'd known you wanted an Express Tactical...I'd have sold you one for a good price.

After trying Mossbergs and Remingtons side-by-side I switched all my home defense shotguns over to Mossbergs, and the Remy's are sitting unused in the back of a closet, waiting to be sold. I first became disappointed with Remington when they made it so difficult to install mag extensions by pounding "dimples" into the ends of their mag tubes, thus limiting capacity. When their quality started to drop, I tried a 590 and never looked back.

I hope you get satisfaction from Remington, but in the throes of bankruptcy they might not be too responsive. The good news is that you haven't got a lot invested...yet. I strongly urge you to pick up a 590 in any of it's various configurations and do a comparison. If you still like the Remington, you won't have any problem selling the Mossy.

#13 · (Edited)
CaptainGyro,

When were the Remington shotguns, that you don't like, made??

The truth is that I've not, in over 3 decades, ever had trouble with either a Remington or a Mossberg.
(Most of my collection of long guns, whether rifle or shotgun, are Remington products.)

That said, as a southpaw, my favorite shotgun is an Ithaca Model 37 Riotgun.

yours, sw

#15 · (Edited)
590a1,

The Army's Military Police had a huge number of the 870 & Mossberg shotguns (over my time from 1970-2006) & I cannot remember such problems with either brand.

Could it be that you department had POOR maintainence and/or your officers don't even take minimal care of their equipment??

yours, sw

#16 · (Edited)
To All,

Rethinking the above comments, I find myself wondering what some members are talking about.

When I was "seconded to" the OAS "way down South" in 1991, we advisors qualified THOUSANDS of National Police, Guardia Civil, Military Police, railway & waterway guards & "local hamlet security" personnel with Mossberg, Remington & Winchester pump shotguns of several "vintages" & W/O any major problems of the sort that are mentioned here.
(Some of the "range shotguns" were fired > 100X a day, with various brands of 2.75 & 3 inch 00 buckshot shells, for well over a year W/O any significant problems = The "range guns" probably fire more rounds in a month that most shotguns EVER fire in anyone's lifetime. - NONE of them were "worn out" in range use, though they got "pretty beat up looking" over time)

MOST of our "local hamlet security volunteers" & border guard volunteers were (at best) "semi-literate" civilians, who had in the vast majority of cases NO previous experience in firearms. = Because of the majority's lack of firearms knowledge, we chose S&W Model 64 revolvers, Model 1893 Mauser bolt-action rifles in 7x57mm & pump shotguns to qualify & arm those personnel. = Those firearms were chosen because of their availability, modest cost, simplicity & ruggedness.
(In 99% of cases, the volunteer personnel were found to be "acceptably competent with" their issued rifle or shotgun after 2 days of range familiarization/qualification, by our "NCO instructor teams".).
Note: The S&W .38SPL revolvers/holsters were only issued to the local "supervisors".

ADDENDA: The most common reason that we had to replace firearms was their LOSS in the commonplace "running gunfights in the jungle" with Los Narcotrafficantes, terrorist groups & the "border bandits".

yours, sw

#18 ·
I find it a bit ironic that Remington originated the feeding system found on the Mossberg. When the Marines tested the 870 against the Mossberg, the Mossberg destroyed the 870 in reliability tests. And the famous 870 short stroke issue is still an issue unless you address it with after market modifications.

Me, I'm an Ithaca 37 kind of guy...but those are getting hard to find and quite pricey when you do find them. I don't have my 37 anymore. My around the house shotgun is a Remington model 11 20ga.

#20 ·
GunGeek,

Just yesterday AM, I attended the Austin Hwy Gun-show here in the Alamo City.

While there, I saw three used Model 37 for sale. = 2 in 12 gauge & one "plain Jane" in 20 gauge. All were 300.oo or less.
(I started to buy the 20 gauge at 260.oo OTD but the vendor doesn't take anything but cash or personal checks & I had neither. = He doesn't have a way to accept check/credit cards.)

Is Ithaca back in business?? = They have been IN/OUT of business so many times in the last 20 years that I'm getting dizzy.
(CHUCKLE)

yours, sw

#26 ·
To All,

IF I was again (unlikely given my age) an advisor to a foreign military/police force in Latin America, I would pick "Stainless Marine" shotguns. = The biggest problem that we had with any of the pump-guns was RUST, as the "rainy season" is LONG & it rains every afternoon there for 6+ months.

Btw, we had a FEW Winchester 1200 pumps in the inventory & those were "not liked" by our "range guys".
Otoh, the 50+ YO Winchester Model 12 riot-guns (with the metal HG & bayonet lug) WERE WELL-LIKED by all who got one.

yours, sw

#27 · (Edited)
To All,

Btw, IF you were going to buy a shotgun for a 60" tall, 92# female & who wears a size 1-2 dress, which shotgun would you pick for her?? = My 12 gauge shotguns are "too much gun" for her.
("A certain XYL" has informed me that, "I'm NOT staying home, twiddling my thumbs, while you go hunting.".)

yours, sw

#29 ·
GunGeek has 11 shotguns? I've cut back to where I'm down to 6 shotguns. I'd settle for 3; both of my riot pumps and a 20 gage double.

stand watie, I like 20s for anyone, male, female, large or small. I don't do ducks or geese and a 20 will do just fine if you can figure out how to hit a South Texas white wing dove. :(

#30 ·
SW - I agree with Sam; 20 bore is the way to go (male or female). With buckshot (#4 or larger) it is absolutely devastating out to 20m. Most 20 bores are sized for the cartridge so with heavy loads felt recoil ends up being pretty dimilar to a 12ga. If she can physically handle a 12ga, you might find more options for reduced loads which can bring recoil down below that of a 20ga even.

I did manage to find at least one maker of reduced recoil 20ga buckshot.

Shotgun Ammo 20 Gauge Tactical 00 Buck Shot Specialty Ammunition

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.