Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a pretty nice Remington Rand 1911A1. It seems to be all correct and in good shape. It's nice and tight unlike some of those we had in the Army with a war or two behind them. Some of them would rattle like castanets if you shook them. Anyway here's a pic, the light spots on the frame are reflections of the flash which I had to use because we are having a typical Oregon fall. Gray and gloomy.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Looks like a nice piece of history there, bearcat. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
I'm now old enough to remember when these sold for $100, or not much more, and that price might well include a GI leather holster, web belt, mag pouch, and possibly a spare mag or two (maybe even a box of GI ammo). Today, if you got it for less than four figures, you did very well indeed.

It's very nice, regardless of its cost, of course. ;)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I just wish I would have picked a case or 2 of those "specials" way back when- as it was I went through 4 through the "lost in combat" channels- and I wonder what moron decided black was a better color than russet brown- the worst ones were the mix- masters- you know- colt frame, remmy barrel, whatever grips the cpo had on hand , and lord knows what magazines- I think the ones we had were produced in a Filipino garage- you forgot the cleaning/disassembly rod and brush

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
y'know, if I was to go back into all the stores in every ship and all the q/m stores, i'll bet we could still find some Remington rand 45s brand new in box- somewhere- q/ms and supply sergeants being what they are, pistols are "trade goods" and hoarded, squirreled behind shelving or a desk somewhere-things that don't appear on any inventory list, anywhere

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'll bet you...my original Ruger Bearcat against your Remington Rand that Thomas Jefferson never said or wrote "Those that beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
I'll take that bet, and put up a Les Baer.

I'm well aware that the sentence can't be found in his published writings, but I'm also aware that you can't prove a negative, i.e., that he never said it.

I'll forward my FFL's address. ;)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...my original Ruger Bearcat against your Remington Rand that Thomas Jefferson never said or wrote "Those that beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
I don't know for sure but I like it it makes a lot of sense to me. I read somewhere that he said it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm now old enough to remember when these sold for $100, or not much more, and that price might well include a GI leather holster, web belt, mag pouch, and possibly a spare mag or two (maybe even a box of GI ammo). Today, if you got it for less than four figures, you did very well indeed.

It's very nice, regardless of its cost, of course. ;)
I can remember going ito a pawn shop in Kansas City, Kansas in the early 60s, they had a display case with about three shelves that were full of P38s. Your choice $35.00 each

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
They Can't Put It on the Internet...

I don't know for sure but I like it it makes a lot of sense to me. I read somewhere that he said it.
...if it's not true. :banghead:

There's actually a long American tradition of attributing witty sayings to well respected figures but I guarantee you that an internet search will fail to connect that one with Jefferson. If you've collected as many legitimate Jefferson quotations as I have you develop a sense of his wording and style.

If you're seriously interested in legitimate quotations from Jefferson, you may enjoy this website.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
spwenger,

I, too, have seen that quote attributed to Jefferson in print & it certainly sounds like him. - He had an ironic (some scholars have said "odd & peculiar") sense of humor, especially in his enormous amount of private correspondence. = He wrote so many private letters throughout his life that you almost wonder how he had time to do anything else.
(As you may be aware, I quote TJ often on a variety of subjects.)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
snake45,

As I'm an EOF, I remember when surplus 1911 pistols were "all over the place" here in TX for 35-50 bucks & in NICE shape.
I once bought a US&S switch (that looked new, as it had been rebuilt/refinished at RRAD) 1911A1 at the huge flea market in Canton, TX for 60.oo and friends laughed at me for "wasting your money on a 'refinished' gun".
I gave it & a Don Hume OTB holster to a school chum of mine for Christmas about 1973 (He was a "new hire" with the local Sheriff's Office then & needed a handgun.) & I think that he's still carrying it as his duty weapon. - He's a City Marshal in NE Texas.

I wish that I'd been smart enough to buy a passel of 1911 pistols & "squirreled them away", as that would have been a better investment than stocks & bonds.
(I also well remember when pre-WWII Lugers, in NICE shape, were 100.oo or less, too.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I just picked up a pretty nice Remington Rand 1911A1. It seems to be all correct and in good shape. It's nice and tight unlike some of those we had in the Army with a war or two behind them. Some of them would rattle like castanets if you shook them. Anyway here's a pic, the light spots on the frame are reflections of the flash which I had to use because we are having a typical Oregon fall. Gray and gloomy.
That's a very cool pistol you have there sir. And loaded with ball ammunition I'm sure she's just as willing and able to defend today as it when it came out of the crate.

Don't make it a safe queen, take it out and shoot it from time to time and enjoy it. Shooting it will never take away from its value, only abuse can do that.

VERY nice gun sir.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I intend to put it to good use.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
bearcat6,

I predict that it will serve you as well as the "ole slab-sides" did for several generations of GIs.
(I turned mine in for a new M-9, kicking & screaming.)

yours, sw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts