Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local law enforcement agency in my area is contemplating authorization of the Kel Tec P-32 pistol as a "back up" weapon.

There was a time when this agency would only authorize certain pistols for use as "off duty" weapons and none as "back up."

Then, they changed their position to essentially having no position on off duty weapons and letting the individual LEOs carry whatever they wanted under the provision of Florida law that says a LEO is authorized to carry a "firearm" anywhere in the state. (They probably thought that limited their liability.)

Now they are preparing to recognize an authorized back up pistol. This is partially, I think, in response to the fact that a large number of LEOs are carrying P-32s on duty anyway without permission.

Now, disregarding the fact that we all probably agree upon, that the .32 ACP is an inadequate round, could I have some opinions about the reliability of the Kel Tec P-32 please?

Also, I realize that Kel Tec has recently come out with the same design in .380 ACP, but that is still an inadequate round, the pistol is slightly larger and there hasn't been enough experience with it to evaluate its reliability - so I am primarily interested in the P-32.

The staff at the agency has asked for my opinion. I would like to give them an informed opinion so your replies are appreciated.

:lurking:

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Oldstar ---

I have personally carried a P32 since its introduction. Currently it is in my back pocket with a Pocket Slipper Laser attached to it (it squares off the gun and makes it print like a wallet, yet is BATFE legal)
I have also sold over 30 of them and have yet to hear the first complaint from a customer. I only shoot Winchester Silvertips in mine and with a couple of hundred rounds through mine, it has never burpedr had any problems. I have read on some forums of people having problems, but I think they may have been associated with failure to feed a specific ammo. Kel Tec has been known to have a very good customer service department and have been noted in the forums to attempt to resolve problems with guns expediently and have even replaced guns they were unable to bring to a customers satisfaction level.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
OldStar said:
Also, I realize that Kel Tec has recently come out with the same design in .380 ACP, but that is still an inadequate round, the pistol is slightly larger and there hasn't been enough experience with it to evaluate its reliability - so I am primarily interested in the P-32.

The staff at the agency has asked for my opinion. I would like to give them an informed opinion so your replies are appreciated.
I don't have personal experience with either the P32 or its big brother in .380ACP. I know that my CHL instructor carries a P32 for deep cover. He's a DA investigator in juvenile section here in Bexar County, Texas. He says he seldom bothered to carry when he was working with adults but this is a whole different world. Anyway, he loads his with Winchester SilverTips and doesn't feel too handicapped.

One of the students was a FFL dealer. He says there's currently a backlog on the .380 Kel Tecs.

Most of Florida that I've been in was hot and humid. The Kel Tec is a polymer and steel gun, light in weight and should be a good back up if it's reliable. Not all small semis are. Buck, the gun dealer, said that he polished the feed ramp on his and it will now handle anything he loads it with.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses. I was particularly interested to learn about the pocket Slipper laser, although I doubt that I will get one. I suspect that the squared off shape would be difficult to remove from a right front pocket.

The information about polishing the feed ramp also sounds like good advice.

Mike: Virtually all of the states within a two day drive of my home in Tampa, except South Carolina and West Virginia now have reciprocity agreements with Florida on their CCW licenses. Do you have any idea why West Virginia is not with the program?

:?:

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Re: Thanks for the responses.

OldStar said:
Thanks for the responses. I was particularly interested to learn about the pocket Slipper laser, although I doubt that I will get one. I suspect that the squared off shape would be difficult to remove from a right front pocket.

The information about polishing the feed ramp also sounds like good advice.

Mike: Virtually all of the states within a two day drive of my home in Tampa, except South Carolina and West Virginia now have reciprocity agreements with Florida on their CCW licenses. Do you have any idea why West Virginia is not with the program?

:?:
Because our Governor handles all reciprocity issues and our current pc of crap is a DEMOCRAT who formerly served in congress (voted in support of Brady, yada yada yada.) The only reciprocity agreements were done by our former Governor who was a republican. I have cornered our weasel Governor on a radio talk show on multiple occasions and he just gives a "handjob" statement how he is the "sportsmans friend" and has gotten an A rating from the NRA. Last time I remarked that what he said was all and good, but his inaction spoke louder volumes.
Old, bet ya can't tell you stepped on a nerve with me?? ;)

PS --

The pocket slipper is best suited for a rear pocket carry, and I can tell you it works real well and is real comfortable to wear on a daily basis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife and I have a pair of P-32's. Were trade ins from police officers who upgraded to 380. Wifes is box stock. The one I have has had the fluff and buff. All we shoot is PMC FMJ ammo. Both eat it without failure of any kind. As to the inadequacy part, everybody that says this refuses to be shot by them to prove their point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 2 of them...LOVE the things

1 thing...You need to beware of "rimlock" while using 32jhp ammo in the P-32...goto http://www.ktog.org to see what I am referring to..

I use S&B fmj's in mine with no worries...One resides in my rear pocket most of the time..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oldstar- I recently purchased a Kel-Tec P3AT (the .380). It was in the store case next to the original .32 version, and they looked the same size to me, so I went with the .380. On its first outing, I put 100 rounds of PMC ball through it, followed by a box of Starfires- no misfeeds. I'm very happy with it so far. It absolutely dissapears in your pocket, and has no noticeable weight. I've ordered the belt clip from Kel-Tec, and couldn't be happier.
By the way, I had occasion to see Mikegunners' .32 w/ the Pocket Slipper Laser that he mentions above this weekend @ Gunstock. It really does print just like a wallet in a rear pocket, and also has the added advantage of keeping the weapon grip up- it keeps it from rotating around as you move.
A very neat thing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again.

Thanks again for the responses.

I just got back in town from a vacation in Daytona Beach, just a couple of jumps ahead of Hurricane Frances. We left on Wednesday night because they were going to start mandatory evacuation of the beach areas at 2PM on Thursday and we didn't want to get caught up in all that traffic.

Wow! Two category 4 hurricanes hitting Florida in a three-week period. Simply amazing. Before we left Daytona we had dinner in a restaurant where there were still workers on the roof repairing the damage from Hurricane Charley.

I will look into the information on rim lock. I don't believe I'm familiar with the phenomenon. I don't usually have much to do with .32 ACP. Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Munenn said:
By the way, I had occasion to see Mikegunners' .32 w/ the Pocket Slipper Laser that he mentions above this weekend @ Gunstock. It really does print just like a wallet in a rear pocket, and also has the added advantage of keeping the weapon grip up- it keeps it from rotating around as you move. A very neat thing.
Munenn,

With it in my pocket, no one notices that it has the baby blue grip frame :oops: :lol:
And, should you have interest, the Pocket Slipper DOES fit the P3AT also. If you have any interest and want further info, PM or E-Mail me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts