Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Since we have a wide field of different backgrounds and experiences, I thought I'd pose this question...

If you were to retire outside the US, where would it be. Firearm ownership is a concern, but probably not to the level most here would think. If I'm able to own a shotgun and a .22 rifle, I could be happy.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Several years ago, while I still had a high-ranking officer of the Costa Rica National Police (Costa Rica has no army) on my mailing list, I was able to get most of my questions answered about gun ownership and retirement in Costa Rica, because my former teaching partner was considering the option.

You need to demonstrate a minimum income (which I don't recall) to move to Costa Rica as a "pensioner." You can also move there as an "investor," if you invest a minimum quantity (which I also no longer recall) in a business there. Firearm permits are granted routinely, normally for up to three firearms, but the judge can allow more, so long as you don't seek registration for a quantity larger than 1% of what is held in the armories of the National Police. You cannot register anything that has ever been a machine gun, such as an AK-47, even if it has been rendered semi-auto.

If you wish to visit Costa Rica periodically and carry firearms while you are there, you can charter a business there, the business can purchase the firearms, and, as an officer of the corporation, you can lawfully carry them.

I was told that firearms are fairly expensive there (roughly twice MSRP in the US), due to high import duties, but, around the time I inquired about being able to import firearms from your own collection, my informant fell off the radar screen with multiple assignments on border-security operations.

Costa Rica is the most democratic and politically stable nation in Latin America and, as a Spanish-speaker, I might have given some thought to retiring there myself were it not for the fact that I do not enjoy tropical climates.

As to the crime picture, the reason my informant had made his initial contact with me is that he also operated a private training academy, most of whose clientele were private security officers, for which there was obviously a need.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If anyone wants to retire to a place where they can have a shotgun & a .22lr I'm quite willing to see if the US will accept myself in exchange. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Oddbod said:
If anyone wants to retire to a place where they can have a shotgun & a .22lr I'm quite willing to see if the US will accept myself in exchange. :mrgreen:
I'd take you up on that, but for the fact that I don't speak Welch.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
Switzerland.
Can you share any details about immigration requirements? I'm under the impression that you basically have to have something to offer, either in the form of a needed job skill or a substantial amount of cash to invest or deposit, in order to qualify for long-term residency.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
You have the needed skills, firearms instructors are very well-respected in Switzerland, as are Gunsmiths.

·
Registered
840 Posts
...Yeah, but you have to be fluent in French...and German, and Italian, and Romanch. :roll:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I dunno Steve, from what I've read and seen on TV Documentaries, most of the Swiss population speaks passable english.
I converse, over both snail-mail and E-mail with a Gentleman living just outside of the Capital who says most Swiss love a chance to practice their English. I've known Paul for almost five years. I met him via mail believe it or not, over me finding his Name and unit number on a piece of paper inside the buttplate of a K31 I bought. Swiss Embassy hooked me up with him.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know—I have a Swiss friend too. Well, Swiss-American, anyway.
But in the sticks, you really do need to work with the local language.
Anyway, my comment was meant more to be humorous than trenchant.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What about the US VI? Like to go someplace warm. Love the islands and we will be going there again, hopefully soon. Where would one start checking?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
ExSarge said:
What about the US VI? Like to go someplace warm. Love the islands and we will be going there again, hopefully soon. Where would one start checking?
I have a friend who used to be the approved source for training for pistol permits in the USVI. I have not been in touch with him for a little over five years. If you get serious about this destination, contact me and I'll see if I can get back in touch with him.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Steve M1911A1 said:
Oddbod said:
I'd take you up on that, but for the fact that I don't speak Welch.
That's OK because nobody else does. :thumbsup:
If you don't want to retire then I'll sell you my fishing tackle retail business too. :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ah, to live in the Lake District...or, that is, to be able to afford to live in the Lake District, fishing-tackle business notwithstanding.
Understand that I'd tell you to move to the US anyway, but we have no place quite like where you live. Some parts of new York, New Hampshire, and Vermont come close, and have their own superlative charms, but it just isn't the same as a good view of Windermere.
I guess you are just going to have to do something about your country's silly anti-gun laws, and its present tendency to Politically Correct social repression. Anyway, I refuse to come for a visit until you do.
Let me know, will you please, when things improve.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you want a healthy shooting culture how about Israel?

Warm climate, historical sites a plenty, and lots of people speak English.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Alas, the Isreali shrinks who must rule on your fitness would probably decide that your participation in this board and subscribtions to various publications displays an unhealthy obsession.

At least that's what several folks have suggested to me. Have we an authoritative source?

·
Registered
840 Posts
DavidE said:
If you want a healthy shooting culture how about Israel?

Warm climate, historical sites a plenty, and lots of people speak English.
...And there are lots and lots of targets, too. And some of 'em even shoot back.

(The bad part is having to put up with Israelis. See, for instance, several of my relatives...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts