1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Larry Hagman passed on yesterday at 81. He brought a lot of joy and entertainment to millions of people, and he seemed to be having fun doing it. God bless him.

Larry Hagman, 'Dallas' star, dies | Inside TV | EW.com
Yep. Growing up with him as Major Nelson, it was a real kick watching him play the mean and manipulative J.R. Ewing in Dallas. I think he really enjoyed chewing up the scenery in that character. He always seemed to have a gleam in his eye, especially when he got to do something really despicable. :D

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I feel bad to see him pass on. He was the son of Mary Martin; some may remember her as Peter Pan.
I have DVDs of him --- Fail Safe that classic cold war movie in which he plays the translator, a DVD of I Dream of Jeannie (don't remember the year; it was a gift from a friend) and ... yes .... every season of DALLAS.
Speaking of that I wonder what will happen with the new iteration of DALLAS on the TNT network. Without Larry Hagman there is no J.R. and without J.R., can there really be a DALLAS?
I was getting into that series ... too.:(

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what will happen with the new iteration of DALLAS on the TNT network. Without Larry Hagman there is no J.R. and without J.R., can there really be a DALLAS?
I was getting into that series ... too.:(
Let's see, hadn't JR gone off somewhere to see if John Ross could handle his problems without him? Did he come back? I don't remember....

In the original, Jock died, and they dealt with it. And then there was something with Miss Ellie, too...did Barbara Bel Geddes die, or just leave for a season or two? Didn't Donna Reed play Miss Ellie for a while? Been so long and I'm so old, getting hard to remember. :(:(:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Let's see, hadn't JR gone off somewhere to see if John Ross could handle his problems without him? Did he come back? I don't remember....

In the original, Jock died, and they dealt with it. And then there was something with Miss Ellie, too...did Barbara Bel Geddes die, or just leave for a season or two? Didn't Donna Reed play Miss Ellie for a while? Been so long and I'm so old, getting hard to remember. :(:(:confused::confused::confused:
When Jim Davis died they had Jock go to South America to advise someone on oil production and a helicopter crashed, leaving Bobby, JR and Ray Krebbs to go down there and search. They found only a belt buckle, IIRC, that belonged to Jock.
Barbara Bel Geddes left for a year after heart surgery and her role was played by Donna Reed. When Ms. Bel Geddes recovered, Donna Reed was rather unmercifully (IMHO) shoved aside so Barbara Bel Geddes could resume her role.

In so far as the new DALLAS is concerned, yes JR has returned from the mystery exodus.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I miss him already... J.R. was a sidewinder and an ornery cuss, but he was straight-up about what he was, unlike these spineless passive-aggressive crapweasels of today.

Vaya con Dios, J.R.--put another boot up Ceaucescu's butt over on the Flip Side. (Seems the Romanian Commies thought Dallas would be good for showing the "evil" of capitalism, only to have the populace decide "hey, that looks like a good life, we just have to bust a couple caps in these turdsuckers' you-know-whats first and we can have it too...")

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
From Article linked to in Snake's post said:
Rick Santorum |NO NO NO... here's how they'll handle it.

1) JR? Oh, you JUST missed that lying, no good...
2) Is that JR on the phone? Let me talk to that lying, no good...
3) JR left a message? Let me listen to that lying, no good...
4) JR, you come in from that other room and talk to me, you lying, no good...
5) I was just saying to JR before he walked out of the room that he was a lying, no good...
6) Oh, look-there's Sue Ellen and JR, up on the ridge. That lying, no good...
7) JR, stop the car! Stop! He must not have heard me, that lying, no good...

It's not that hard. And then they'll kill him.

show more show less
A Like F 2 Likes in reply to GFX
I'm sure there will be more "backstory" but Mr. Santorum's "reply" is actually essentially true .... there was a LOT of that in the original when Jim Davis passed.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Damn good actor from Tony Nelson to John Ross Ewing.
This time I hope they shoot the character dead with a .45 or a .44, after all the whole of the original Dallas boiled down to the old joke, Don't shoot a Texan with a .38, you'll jest make him mad!

Geoff
Who spent 39 months at Fort Hood, two lifetimes agone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts