Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to CharliePetty et. al.,

be REALLY careful what you leave in your POV & where you park it! = i've been RIPPED OFF (and i'm an oldtime LEO) in daytime in the parking lot of my apartment house.
(right outside the front door, too!)

the [email protected]#$%^& jackass stole my favorite Sam Browne belt, holster, handcuffs, maglight AND the spare magazines for my beloved Sig P6. - i was WEARING the P6 at the time, thank goodness, otherwise that would be gone, too!
(YEP, the POV was locked up but that didn't stop the creep.)

now i'm looking for TWO spare magazines for the P6, if anyone here knows of any for sale. - see my classified ad on this site's "for sale" section.
(NOBODY here has any REAL Sig mags for sale.)\

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss and I know you knew better.

My rules are 1. Never leave the keys in the ignition and NEVER leave the engine running if you leave the seat of your vehicle no matter how far away you are going or how long you are going to be away.

2. Always lock your vehicle.
3. NEVER leave anything in plain sight. A friend of mine had his window broken because he left some change on the dashboard and a pair of gloves on the seat.
4. Try and park defensively, i.e. in an open and well lit area if possible. If survelance cameras are noticable, try and get into the range of one.

Yes, I know many years back the keys were left in a car parked in the driveway but that's not the case today.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ExSarge,

WELL SAID!

otoh, i had the vehicle LOCKED up & still got ripped off. = it comes down to this: if a thief wants what you have or even thinks that you have something of value, he will get it.

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
sad but true. I live out in the country a bit and rarely locked the car although no guns live there but one night someone shopped through my CD collection. Didn't take anything though... they must not have liked my taste in tunes...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
stand watie said:
ExSarge,

WELL SAID!

otoh, i had the vehicle LOCKED up & still got ripped off. = it comes down to this: if a thief wants what you have or even thinks that you have something of value, he will get it.

yours, sw
True. My father once quiped; "locks only keep out the honest thieves." Now the term "honest thief" is of course an oxymoron. The point of course is a determined thief will simply smash through -- like a window.
Once, living in Connecticut I returned home from work. A funny piece of metal was lying on the floor by the front door. I had no idea what it was until I examined it, then I quickly saw it was the DEADBOLT LOCK BOLT from the front door. And sure enough the door frame was bashed apart at the point of the deadbolt lock, and the door knob bolt had simply been pushed in.
The thief had simply kicked in until he achieved what The Six Million Dollar Man would have done in one quick bionic blow. WHAM! That was a pretty solid door too, as I recall. But it didn't help we still got robbed.
Thankfully no guns were taken (too well hidden I suppose) but a lot of jewelry and electronics went by-by.
Sorry about your problem Stand Watie; I hope everything works out, and that the lowlives who did this are caught.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yep, you can do everything right...lock your doors and windows, park in a well lit area, no valuables in view, even have dogs or an alarm system...and it still won't stop them if they want in your car, house or office.

People who are burglarized immediately gravitate towards an alarm system. I would always tell them to get one that that sounds a loud, audible alarm at the site...silent alarms are useless for home burglaries. They might not leave immediately, but they won't stay long, which means they can't steal as much. Downside is that ALL systems give false alarms, and some agencies actually charge a fee for answering them.

SW, I know this was an auto burglary. I am sorry for your trouble. I suppose one of those horn-blowing-goes-off-if-you-touch-the-car-alarms might dissuade the little punks, but the price for an aftermarket might be prohibitive.

Too bad claymores aren't civilian legal, huh? :wink:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IrishCop,

reference claymores: ALL TOO TRUE! =========> ROTFLMRAO!

yours, sw

·
Registered
921 Posts
Grew up in Chicago . . . locking doors is a reflex. Still hate thieves.

Charlie Petty said:
. . . one night someone shopped through my CD collection. Didn't take anything though... they must not have liked my taste in tunes...
Or else they just didn't realize the value of Lawrence Welk and Slim Whitman's greatest hits . . .

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Al Capones distant nephew (anyhow that's what he told me) taught me how to pick a common lock one Sunday
in Parris Island. His comment was "Locks only keep honest people honest".

Think he was a Join up or go to Lock up person.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
WE have a wildlife area near here that is popular with bird watchers. Almost every time one of them parks in the lot and goes off into the refuge some low life breaks their car wnidows and helps themselves to whatever they can find. One guy who had been victimized before went out there with nothing in his car to steal and he left it unlocked, they broke his windows anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
bearcat: That reminds me of a story from the era when folks in NYC would post a sign stating "No Radio in Car" in hopes of preventing break-ins. Some of these cars were broken into anyway, and to add insult to injury, were then tagged "Buy a radio!"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sheesh...Would it be wrong to leave a Post-It® on the radio knob that said,"Your asss completely fills my 10-power scope."??

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Daniel Watters et. al.,

fwiw, speaking of NYC, an old army buddy of mine took a job & moved to NYC upon ETS/end of his tour in RVN, bought a Doberman attack dog, a quality (read: $$$$$$$) alarm system & posted the following sign on the apartment door:

WARNING
attack-trained K-9 on premises
premises are alarmed.
GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE.

about a month later he returned home from work to discover that he had been burglarized of nearly everything of value that he had, the ALARM itself stolen, the Doberman missing & the sign itself also gone. ======> fyi, he moved OUT of NY to Dallas that very same month.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yea, and you can't even arm yourself in NY. No thanks, I don't/wouldn't want to live in NY for anything.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ExSarge,

ME NEITHER! - fyi, i worked for JDST in NYC for a short period & absent the Broadway shows i saw NOTHING that i wanted any part of.

yours, sw

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hello SW,

You're in luck! CDNN Investments just got a shipment of Sig factory P225/P6 mags for $40 each. They have been absent on the market for years, but they are back now. Get them while you can.

Sorry to hear about your loss of property. That stinks. Glad you had the gun with you, though.

V/R
Mike

·
Registered
671 Posts
Too bad the "Trunk Monkey" was just an advertising gimmick and doesn't actually exist. I want one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts