Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a gun topic but something I am curious about. Maybe someone here knows the answer.
In June I was driving home from Indiana, in eastern New Mexico while driving about 80 I was passed by about 6 sports cars that had numbers painted on them like race cars. I'm sure they were going at 100mph or more. They acted like they had immunity from the law or something. The next day in western Arizona I was passed by tail end Charlie. I noticed one of the cars had Cruise.com painted on it. I looked it up when I got home and it took me to a cruise line. Do any of you guys know what this could have been. Color me curious.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right TStar. I've nener heard of it. How do they get away with those speeds? I mean they were flying.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'm not sure the Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash is still being run. The year Dan Gurney participated, and won, he didn't. Got one ticket in Arizona(?).

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I think you are right TStar. I've nener heard of it. How do they get away with those speeds? I mean they were flying.
the trick is to "occupy" law enforcement with other duties ; ie you can't persue if you're out of the vehicle writing a ticket- or were you in the back seat during "smokey and the bandit?" i actually saw the show

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
call it gumball, cannonball, or just plain old wide open road racing(which it really is) it's pretty irresponsible and puts lives at risk- sure, we all did "foolish" things in our youth ( thoughts of a 71 superbee doing 155 mph come to mind) but we also paid for it- if you want to roadrace, close the roads and do it responsibly

·
Registered
795 Posts
Depends on the cars. If you're talking about Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, and Porsche's etc they could well have someone in in the air spotting bears for them. They do get pulled over from time to time. I was driving home from the Historic Races at Laguna Seca back in 1984 and passed at least a six Ferrari's that had been pulled over in mass by the CHP. My GTI was a stealth bunny that day. It didn't get a second look.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
if he would have said vancouver, bc, i would have said the chinese car club was out for some exercise- they got mad money for cars there

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Depends on the cars. If you're talking about Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, and Porsche's etc they could well have someone in in the air spotting bears for them. They do get pulled over from time to time. I was driving home from the Historic Races at Laguna Seca back in 1984 and passed at least a six Ferrari's that had been pulled over in mass by the CHP. My GTI was a stealth bunny that day. It didn't get a second look.
that's debateable as to it's effectiveness- you can only spot marked units from the air- if you get somebody to "trip" the trap and take the ticket,you've tied up that unit while you blow through

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
During a recent holiday, I was driving on an interstate and saw a State Trooper pulled over, apparently writing a ticket. Suddenly, the car in front showed lights and went tearing off down the highway...it surely seemed like a trap for the sort of driver you mention--rather creative, IMO. I've sailed past numerous pull-overs, confident that the LEO was pre-occupied.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
shep854,

now that's DIRTY POOL!

yours, sw
I just hope he was after one of those gray Chargers, who try to use their resemblance to AL State Troopers to drive aggressively.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
in this league, money means NOTHING- it's all about bragging rights- the only way to even slow it down is to confiscate the car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts