Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get an idea of what y'all like in a 10/22, personaly i have mine decked out in the factory wood stock, heat sheild, nad ghost ring sights, looks like a M-1 Carbine, very nice only thing that throws off the look is the front sight, hooded H&K MP5 SMG style reminds me of a SKS rifle though, but aside from the lack of a flash hider and no bayanot lug...its good no, what i'ed like to know, which is your own favroite costom or factory version of the good 'ol Ruger 10/22 (.22 LR or MAG)?

·
Registered
113 Posts
These guys are making a pretty neat .22, cant wait to see how they shoot.

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/[url] [IMG=left]http://www.rhinelandarms.com/mainpics/r2d2e.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
757 Posts
I like one of the most common variants: the 10/22T with the SS barrel. It didn't quite make sense to buy a rifle and throw away the stock, sights, and barrel to make something else. Costs more, but you get a nice heavy laminated stock, a good SS heavy target barrel, a better trigger, and not much more stuff to buy other than a scope and mount. And it isn't homely like its older standard sibling. They do still need the standard set of mods: a recoil buffer (essential), an automatic bolt release, an extended mag release, and oversize receiver pins. And this one must have a scope (no irons). I just wish Ruger would deliver them with tighter headspace and a better chamber.....

As for what I'd like to see, I'd love an M1A or Garand-type stock and GI-type sights for position shooting practice. I already use the T for standing and sitting practice, but no iron sights available for it.....

As for wilder variants, I'd love to see a decent laminated wood stock bullpup kit, but the only one available isn't that impressive.

-- cw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guess I like mine quite well. Mainly a bargain Ruger 10/22. Bought a used ne from a pawn shop many years ago and almost forgot about it over time. Midway had a special on a Fajin stock and a Midway (A & B I think) .920 barrell. Installiation was simple and out of the box could shoot better than 1" groups from a sandbag rest. Then I got serious, friend bought a rugger hammer forged 10/22 and got lousy groups so he sent it into Ruger. They replaced many parts including barrell & Stock but he still could only get 1-2" groups so he returned/sold it Ruger allowed my to buy his old stock for $30. Which gave me the laminated stock and still had slightly more than $200 in the rifle. Next was a trigger job from the local gun shop, $30. Next my 4X Simmons scope broke (couldnt adjust it , crosshair adjustment came loose) so sent it back and they were kind enough to replace it with a 4x9 variable. Over all I have about $225 in a very accurate and nice looking Ruger 10/22 that shoots better than 1" groups. Remember that this is an excellent shooter for a small cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have my stock 10/22 target with a bushnell sportview 3-9x32. I love it, good balance and plenty accurate for my needs.
[IMG=left]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vf1000ride/ruger1thumb.jpg[/IMG]

Oh ya and the 50 round mags. :D 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll revive this post I guess :D

[IMG=left]http://members.cox.net/cruffler/images/1022-2.JPG[/IMG]

Green Mountain 20 Blue Fluted Barrel and a Zero Green Camo Laminate Thumbhole Stock.

The scope is a Simmon (M1048) 44 Mag Series 6.5 - 20 x 44mm with adjustable Objective and Target Turrets.

Internally I changed out the following parts:

Volquartsen Target Trigger
Volquartsen Target Hammer
Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release
Volquartsen "Exact Edge" Extractor
Volquartsen Extended Magazine Release
Ten22 Bolt Buffer
Dakotan Hex Stock Screw
Power Custom Scope Base
Burris High Rings
JB Weld Trick to reduce trigger creep

I also glass bedded the reciever and the first few inches of the barrel, the rest is free floated. I have a set of KIDD Receiver pins coming to help tighten up the trigger group in the receiver as well.

I have too much money in this thing but it's nice getting such small groups. I bought most of the different components over time so it wasn't a real big hit on the pocketbook all at once :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Blackwater said:
Then what is the point in having a "heavy target" barrel? I thought it was heavy to increase accuracy?
It does increase accuracy, that's the point in getting a heavy barrel. Since you need a heavy barrel (.920") for the best accuracy you can also try to reduce the weight by getting it fluted. I think it looks nice too.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I like the heavy barrel on a rifle. I wouldn't mind adding a few more ounces to the end of my barrel. I find it helps with my stability and aiming. I have read several reports that from a locked down rest, the factory heavy barrel doesn't shoot any better than the standard thin profile barrel. The difference comes into the better handling and balance of the rifle that helps the shooter become more accurate with their gun.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Blackwater said:
Then what is the point in having a "heavy target" barrel? I thought it was heavy to increase accuracy?
Don't like the answer so you change questions? Should I hollor "Troll Alert?"

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dont think he was trolling... it was a legitimate Q and it got a legitimate A. :) I was kinda wondering also since i went and bought a synthetic stocked brand spankin NIB 10/22 yesterday and i am interested in hotrodding it a little bit. :D

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
One thing that I have always found when dealing with 22's is that barrels can vary widely. High speed production barrels in standard or heavy contour will usually shoot with about the same accuracy. It is just a feature of the high speed production. That seems to include all of the factory ruger barrels. When I mentioned the light barrel shooting as well as the heavy barrel this is what I was talking about. When you step up to a lower production higher quality barrel you can definatly get better accuracy from it over a standard barrel. Some of the reasons the heavy barrel helps are that the barrel is very stiff and doesn't resonate as much when fired. The rifling can be made more accuratly because the barrel outer walls will not distort under the presure of cutting or button rifling. Once rifled many manufacturers will cut the flutes into the barrel to then lighten them back up to a reasonable weight. You keep the advantage of a stiff barrel with accurate rifling but get to reduce the overall weight of the barrel. Some of the most accurate barrels are made by Anschutz, most are an inch thick or more and weigh a ton. Those things are low production, hand tuned and horribly expensive. I just wish they would make one for the 10/22, I would have one on my rifle in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.