Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
MSRP is $749

It has a standard front sight with bayonet lug, flat top receiver with "Rapid Deploy" rear sight.

barrel is 16.1" with 1:8 twist

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
quite frankly, I don't see the point of dicking around with all these different twists- this is another 1/8 inch- my 89 issue a2 has a 1/7 and that's what the boys at testing settled on-forgive my ignorance, but is colt the only one offering/capable of offering a 1/7 twist?
or is it " I got to be different " thing- btw , the change in bullet weights doesn't wash either- granted the 55's are a little wider group than what the 62-70 grain pills do, but I don't run that surplus crap ( I reload, so it's just about as cheap if not cheaper)- so why doesn't everybody make a 1/7 and standardize on that- if and when I do get another ar it's going to be "custom' b/c nobody but colt makes one to suit me

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My SWaMPy Sport has a lug, but with the legal barrel and the short gas tube, a standard bayonet isn't going to reach. Wears the finish on the flash hider anyway.
Geoff
Who was an Autorifleman in a maintenance company many years agone.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
You can find from 12 to 7. All the original Colts had the 12 twist.

I've shot all and 8 seems like a good compromise. 7 is too fast for the lighter bullets and 9 is too fast for the heavier ones.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
You can find from 12 to 7. All the original Colts had the 12 twist.

I've shot all and 8 seems like a good compromise. 7 is too fast for the lighter bullets and 9 is too fast for the heavier ones.
maybe too slow?-the heavier the pill, the faster the twist should be- greenhill formula

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That is true, but I have tested one of Les Baer's ARs and it had an 8 twist and shot the lights out with Federal 69 & 77 gr. loads,

I also tested one with the 7 twist and it didn't shoot 50 or 55 gr. loads for beans.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
IIRC, the 1-7 twist was to stabilize a tracer round someone thought was necessary.

I do believe Daniel Defense does 1-7 barrels, some other folks probably do also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts