·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is good news.

Ruger® SR1911® Centerfire Pistol Models

On the spec sheet, one weird thing stands out:

Polished titanium feed ramp.

Not sure why they would feel the need to do that. Yeah we've all heard stories of damaged feed ramps, but I've yet to see it on a newer gun with more modern aluminum. My S&W LW Commander has nearly 9k rounds through it and there's hardly even any wear on the anodizing.

Personally I've been very impressed with the manufacturing quality of the Ruger 1911's; not that that's any surprise. They make frames and slides for Caspian, so my expectation was that they would be excellent; and I wasn't disappointed.

My bet is, this one will be a winner for Ruger. I never did warm up to the silver top half on a black frame, tradition makes me want it the other way around. But that's going to be a nice gun.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

Fwiw, "2-tone" firearms leave me COLD. = Make mine black/black or stainless/stainless.

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Yeah we've all heard stories of damaged feed ramps, but I've yet to see it on a newer gun with more modern aluminum. My S&W LW Commander has nearly 9k rounds through it and there's hardly even any wear on the anodizing.
What kind of followers do you have in the magazines that you are using? Skirted followers reportedly do well, but I still hear reports of split followers dinging the feed ramps.

Fwiw, "2-tone" firearms leave me COLD.
I don't object to 2-tone guns, but this one is opposite the traditional 2-tone scheme. Of course, so is the Kimber CDP line, and that's probably who Ruger is copying.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of followers do you have in the magazines that you are using? Skirted followers reportedly do well, but I still hear reports of split followers dinging the feed ramps.
Most of my shooting has been with ACT MAG's. The gun came with two and I picked up two afterward because they have become my favorite 1911 magazine. But I also have a stack of Shooting Starts that have split followers that I use from time to time and no problems there.

On most aluminum frames I've seen with ding-ed or damaged feed ramps, someone has polished through the anodizing.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This is good news.

Ruger® SR1911® Centerfire Pistol Models

On the spec sheet, one weird thing stands out:

Polished titanium feed ramp.

Not sure why they would feel the need to do that. Yeah we've all heard stories of damaged feed ramps, but I've yet to see it on a newer gun with more modern aluminum. My S&W LW Commander has nearly 9k rounds through it and there's hardly even any wear on the anodizing.
So are they adding a layer of titanium to the aluminum frame at the feed ramp? Hmmm. I have no idea, but it seems like that could be a costly addition to the manufacturing costs.

I know that I have had no issues with my Colt (only about 1,000 rounds through it. And the Kimber Supercarry Pro I had did show a scratch or two on the feed ramp, but I couldn't feel them when I rubbed a fingernail across the area. I did switch to Wilson 47d's exclusively, and still use them in the Colt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts