Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gun is now "official" - I just saw part of a video Michael Bane made with it at Gunsite. Have any of y'all seen a specimen yet? Any idea of the price point. This gun interests me.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Yawn. Someone wake me when Ruger makes a stainless M14 clone that undercuts Springfield Armory's price by 25 or 30 percent. Now THAT would be something to get excited about!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops...did a little more looking and found the price myself - MSRP $799. Id expect it to actually sell for $625-675. Sounds good.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Snake45 said:
Yawn. Someone wake me when Ruger makes a stainless M14 clone that undercuts Springfield Armory's price by 25 or 30 percent. Now THAT would be something to get excited about!
Hell, yeah! I think MSRP for a "standard" M1-A1 is close to two grand! I mean...Jeez!

I bought one used, with a Springfield Armory scope that had a lighted mil-dot reticle mounted. This was 7 or 8 years ago, and it still cost me over a grand. Great rifle, would shoot under 1 MOA from the bench with match ammo. Shoulda kept the durn thing, but I figured out it was just too heavy for any practical use, so...(hindsight sucks!)

If I could find one now for a grand or a little less, it sure would be tempting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm interested. I've wanted a good 1911 at a good price for years. Bought a new Springfield a few years back, but it was a piece of jammamatic junk, even with an all-hardball diet and even after a trip back to the factory. I trust Rugers and this is one shooter I might save my pennies for....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
bestseller92v2.0 said:
Well, I'm interested. I've wanted a good 1911 at a good price for years. Bought a new Springfield a few years back, but it was a piece of jammamatic junk, even with an all-hardball diet and even after a trip back to the factory. I trust Rugers and this is one shooter I might save my pennies for....
That's a shame about your Springfield. I've owned two, and both were good pistols. Hope the Ruger works out for you!

·
Registered
814 Posts
You've really got to wonder what is going on inside the offices of Hartford. The closest Colt I can find to the new Ruger lists about $300 higher, and it has a crappy grip safety.

Its a wonder they aren't just slitting their wrists when they think about how the 1911 market has changed in the last 20 years.

Joke about the recall if you like, but I'd wager the delay from SHOT to NRA was just so they could wring some bugs out, and pump a truckload of ammo through some test guns.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ruger keeps coming out with new guns that interest me...the LCP, LCR, LC9, SR556, the Scout rifle and now the SR1911.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The guns I saw at Gunsite were the very first production and were destined to go to Ruger people for a bunch of rounds. I shot around 500 in two days and had no stoppages and didn't see other people having trouble either. The only problem was with a gun one of the Ruger guys was shooting and we fixed it at the range.

I asked about the delay and was told it was a marketing strategy. Oops... gotta go now the tooth fairy is at the door... :)

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I asked about the delay and was told it was a marketing strategy.
Is there a name for this marketing strategy--delaying introduction until tax deadline day? :?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
You've really got to wonder what is going on inside the offices of Hartford. The closest Colt I can find to the new Ruger lists about $300 higher, and it has a crappy grip safety.
I've always felt that Colt was their own worst enemy. They had the 1911 market as a private pond but they kept raising prices and- IMO- lowering quality- and they created the market for Springfield and other aftermarket parts.

When S&W was at the crest of the .44 Magnum wave Colt certainly had the ability to make something in their revolver line but it was like 10 years before they did.

They totally abandoned the small revolver market to S&W so now Ruger is competing very successfully there.

The name alone is going to sell a certain number of guns but that seems to get smaller every day.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I heard people blame Colt's problems on union contracts, not investing, or being able to invest, in modern manufacturing methods and other issues. It does seem that the majority of their problems are the result of a management team (or teams) that put more value in a brand name than in producing quality, marketable goods at competitive prices.

So sad. I would love the opportunity to put a newly manufactured 6" blued Python on lay-a-way. (Hey, USFA puts out a beautifully finished SAA for around $1100, using modern CNC machining and outsourcing the finishing to Turnbull...don't you think a Python could be made and sold for $2000? Just sayin')

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the name Colt and all the history behind it. But, to be honest, in a practical sense I love the name Ruger even more. Since its inception Ruger has produced reliable, tough as rhino nuts guns at prices the everyday man and woman can afford. And I respect the Hell out of that.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Irish Cop; all,

what i'd like to see is an "old school" style .38SPL DS and/or Cobra from Colt, that is nice as the 2" Cobra that i had stolen out of my truck in 2000! = looked all over & have found ZILCH at the gunshows.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
+1 on the Colt Cobra (and the Agent and the Dick Special). These guns, priced competitively, would SELL!

Now on Ruger, I agree that their product line was/is usually balls-up tough. The one thing that bothers me is the Mini-14...a straight up Mini costs close to $900 MSRP! You can about get an AR-15 for that. And the AR is generally MUCH more accurate.

The Mini is supposed to be a bang-around-in your-truck-(or car)-and-drag-it-out-if-you-see-a-coyote-or-other-annoying-critter-kinda gun. Sorry, but not for almost a grand after sales tax. I'll pick up Marlin or Winchester .30-30 for that job.

Now Ruger does offer variants of the Mini 14; tactical, target, and so on. Those are all close to or over a grand MSRP. Are manufacturing costs that high, or are we being gouged?

Here's another link to Ruger. Check out the prices yourself.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14/index.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts