·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumors EPA may ban lead entirely from ammunition as well as fishing weights:

http://weeklystandard.com/blogs/epa-rev ... ed-bullets

NRA reaction to the rumor:

http://politics.usnews.com/news/washing ... m-epa.html

As it is just getting possible to find ammo again with regularity I hope it is just BS. I could joke about it being another sales bonanza but if they really do it, it would suck. Especially for the re-enactors. Surplus ammo all over the world would suddenly be off limits as well and deemed an environmental hazard.

Also the part about lead in fishing gear would be terrible. Especially for the folks who fish as a serious matter for a little extra food every week that saves shopping money, who are more numerous than the DC types realize.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Re: Rumor EPA may ban lead in bullets - Bull roar or real wo

I have heard that enviro-whackos are trying to pressure the EPA to ban lead bullets because they believe that there are other materials bullets can be made from, which are "non-toxic," and that the NRA is resisting because these bullets cost 2X as much, and that the EPA is legally prohibited from banning ammunition. This last should put the kabosh to this idea, but in the age of Obama, I'm not sure I'd put all my stock there ..... :?:
Lead = "toxic."?????
Yeah..... if I was shot by a .50BMG I'm pretty sure I might think it ..."toxic." But I suspect I'd have other concerns, albeit briefly. Very very briefly. :shocked:

·
Registered
156 Posts

TommyGunn said:
Lead = "toxic."?????
Very.
It causes brain damage, cancer & birth defects.
Thing is; lots of other elements do too.
How & where it is used is the real issue & I seriously doubt that the small amounts used in bullets & fishing weights are an environmental problem, especially as the lead is in its metallic form.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

I spent much of my working life studying and anazlyzing all sorts of toxic stuff in water and wastewater and the stupidity involved in setting limits on same. Yes lead is bad, but arsenic is lots worse and it is soluble in water... lead ain't.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Charlie, I think lead once exposed to the elements takes on a coating of some sort of chemical that actually seals the surface. This may be the white crystalline coating on the surface of lead that is once left out in nature for a period of time. c

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Joe Forte said:
Charlie, I think lead once exposed to the elements takes on a coating of some sort of chemical that actually seals the surface. This may be the white crystalline coating on the surface of lead that is once left out in nature for a period of time. c
The big thing years ago was people worried about lead shot and birds eating it as gizzard stones.

Other lead slugs, etc. don't seem to be as much of a concern. Sinkers too, though I have heard people say lead split shot may be banned for the same reason as lead waterfowl shot was. Not many birds are going to hork down a 2-3-4 oz. lead pyramid sinker!

I'm glad this petition seems to have misfired, as it were.

David

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

Joe Forte said:
I have a Uberti Walker I keep in a wood display case and there are some pure lead bullets for it I keep there. The bullets have developed a white coating over time.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

My second paying job in life was sanding and painting boat bottoms. we made our own paint. Two bags of red lead powder, one bag tin powder, five gallons of boiled linseed oil and some cobalt based japan dryer.... stuff worked, to the point that all the area around the docks was devoid of plant life....I am still amazed my children are college types, not just relegated to a life working the Midway area of a traveling Carnival.

·
Registered
156 Posts

DavidE said:
Joe Forte said:
The big thing years ago was people worried about lead shot and birds eating it as gizzard stones.

Other lead slugs, etc. don't seem to be as much of a concern. Sinkers too, though I have heard people say lead split shot may be banned for the same reason as lead waterfowl shot was. Not many birds are going to hork down a 2-3-4 oz. lead pyramid sinker!

I'm glad this petition seems to have misfired, as it were.

David
Here in the UK, lead cannot legally be used for split shot larger than #8 up to weights of an ounce. Smaller or larger are currently legal to use.
This is despite a recent admission that the shot found in waterfowl digestive systems that triggered the legislation in 1986 didn't have splits in it.....

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

the white crystalline coating on the surface of lead that is once left out in nature for a period of time. c
That's lead oxide which if I remember chem 101 is somewhat soluble in water... which would be undesireable. But IMO that does not form on lead in the ground (no oxygen).

Lead metal in water isn't a big deal either unless the water is acidic (see acid rain)

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts

Gary Roberts made a great point on the subject. Folks touring 18th century battlegrounds can still find lead projectiles that weigh the same as their original specifications. You wouldn't expect that if the lead was leaching into the ground water for over a century.

One thing that tickles me is when model legislation is passed around from state to state without removing state-specific information. For instance, the state of Washington's proposed lead bullet ban noted the need to protect the California Condor. As far as I can determine, there aren't any California Condors in WA today outside of captivity.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

As far as I can determine, there aren't any California Condors in WA today outside of captivity.
There has to be. The government is there to see to it!

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts

Maybe not, but there are a lot of birdbrains and old goats!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts