Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
My local gun shop is having a S&W Factory sale. Two items caught my eyes.

S&W 811036 $580

S&W 811003 $760

These appear to be very good prices, unfortunately S&W website is out and I cannot link, the essential difference between the two carbines, the less expensive does not have a chrome bore and chamber. It also has a conventional front sight and a flat top and comes with a small removable rear sight. The 811003 has no sights included it's an Optic Ready model.

As an old Viet-Nam ERA veteran I'm allergic to un-chromed weapons. Is it worth $180?

Geoff
Who bows to net wisdom, and wishes he had disposable income this year. $90 MORE FOR CAR INSURANCE! GAAAAHHHHH! :mad:

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is from user Fabius on S&Wforums.

Sport v. OR differences:

Barrel - OR has a 16" 1:9 twist, 6R rifling, chrome lined barrel and chamber. Sport has a 16" 1:8 twist, 5R rifling, melonite treated (surface hardened) barrel and chamber. Both use 4140 barrel steel.

Upper receiver - Both use 7075 T6 aluminum and have flat top with T marked rails. Sport upper receiver has no forward assist or dust cover. OR has both. Both have casing deflectors. Sport (and I assume the OR) have M4 feed ramps.

BCG - Both have chromed lined bolt carrier and gas key. I suspect that the BCG's in both are identical, based on my inspection of the BCG in my Sport.

Flashhiders - appear to be identical.

Sights - OR has none. Sport has an F marked front sight base with an A2 adjustable sight post and a detachable dual aperture rear sight.

Lower Receiver - Both are forged aluminum. The OR has the straight bottomed hinged trigger housing. The Sport has an integrated bottom trigger housing that is enlarged and curved.

Stock - Sport has a six position telescopic stock. OR has a six position CAR stock. They look identical, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Hand guard - They appear to use the same hand guard, but the specifications don't state what type of hand guard either uses. They look the same in the pictures.

I think that covers all of the working parts. Not sure if there are any other differences.

link to the thread M&P 15 sport

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
IIRC, John Farnam has noted that the Sport version hasn't done well in his classes, but did not specify why he noted this. However, I expect these are high round count affairs. High volume of fire tends to erode plain steel barrels with startling rapidity. Depending upon your projected usage, the price difference is about what you'll pay to replace a burned out barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts