Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of using the S&W Model 908 as a CCW. Is this a good weapon. It esentially is a S&W 3913 blued. It uses the same magazines and everthing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yup.

For a few extra bucks you can get the 908S in stainless. It is a sharp-looking pistol, especially considering that is supposedly a "bargain" gun. I've always thought the stainless S&W pistols were prettier than the matte blued guns.

If you don't need an ambidextrous safety (like on the 3913) the 908S is a great choice. It's nice and flat and reasonably lightweight.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good. Now what holster? And how on earth do those inside the waistband holsters work. Do you buy a bigger waist size for you pants? Doesn't the gun dig in?

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
I have always been fond of Mitch Rosen and Kramer holsters. They both make top notch products that fit better than a glove. If you are going to go with an inside the waistband holster, you need to order a larger belt. If you let the folks at either company know what holster you want and what your current waist size is, they can help you to decide the best size belt. I highly recommend that when you do buy a holster, buy the belt too.

If the holster is made right, it should not dig in anywhere.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The 908 is a reliable, compact, no-frills pistol from the S&W Value Line. It is somewhat more blocky than the 3913/3914, and the finish is basic black, but it does the job.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how would you guys carry it. Hammer down saftey off? IWB OWB? Shoulder rig?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decocked, saftey off,

A round in the chamber? Is this pistol drop safe. I believe it is, I have a friend with a 3913 who is convinenced it is not.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Tell your friend to read the instruction manual which explains all this in detail.

It is safe to carry with a round in the chamber as long as the operator is safe too.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I carry a 908 regularly. I have a Milt Sparks IWB and it disappears. I carry it with a round in the chamber, decocked and safety off. It is very safe carried like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 908 is a good pistol. The main differences with it and the 3913 are that the 908 has a single side decock/safety, has a different finish, and the slide hasn't been refined as much. It may or may not fit the same holsters as the 3913 depending on manufacturer.

This pistol is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber with the decock lever in the up/fire position.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like to take advantage of the stock safety & carry it on safe like it was designed. The draw doesn't take any longer and this has saved lives when thugs took the pistol from their intended victim. The factory can change the stock safety & decock lever to the decocker only version if you want.

My blued 908 began rusting bad along the left front of the slide due to my body sweat during our 90 to 115 degree summers, and I hardchromed it. Today I'd buy the stainless version of this reliable, accurate, and handy 9X9 (nine rounds of good 9mm.) A great little 9mm.

[IMG=left]http://img58.exs.cx/img58/5775/M908.jpg[/IMG]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts