1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News Update as at 17.00 hrs (IST)
Corporate
US handgun maker seeks to re-enter Indian arena

NEW DELHI: US small arms-maker Smith & Wesson, whose lineup includes the .44 magnum, made famous by filmstar Clint Eastwood in the cult Dirty Harry movie series of the early 1980s, are looking to re-establish their presence in India.
Go HERE for the rest of the story.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
LIProgun said:
Holy cow!
Ba dump bump!

I think the Dirty Harry franchise achieved a bit more than cult status, don't you?

Ed

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Adel Jamil said:
US small arms-maker Smith & Wesson, whose lineup includes the .44 magnum, made famous by filmstar Clint Eastwood in the cult Dirty Harry movie series of the early 1980s….

"We had done a quite of business in India until 1998, when we had to cease operations because of the restrictions imposed by the US Government. However, with the lifting of these, we are returning to India and anticipate doing a lot of business"….

"…we have come to know the .32 and the .38 models supplied to India have been much appreciated and now we offer our newer products….
  1. Dirty Harry was 1971, and three of the five in the series, which I submit was a tad more mainstream than "cult" (RHPS was cult!)… and thank you, Ronald Reagan!… had been released by '76. Good call, Ed![/*:1cnrpkl0]

[list:1cnrpkl0]
  2. Dirty Harry (1971)[/*:1cnrpkl0]
  3. Magnum Force (1973)[/*:1cnrpkl0]
  4. The Enforcer (1976)[/*:1cnrpkl0]
  5. Sudden Impact (1983)[/*:1cnrpkl0]
  6. The Dead Pool (1988)][/*:1cnrpkl0]
[*]What restrictions affected the trade with India? Rob?[/*:1cnrpkl0]

[*]The ".32?!?" I shudder to think which .32! The H&R Magnum, or the plain ol' garden variety S&W? Charlie?[/*:1cnrpkl0][/list:eek::1cnrpkl0]

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Probably had something to do with India continuing to provoke Pakistan with nuclear and missile tests. Just guessing though.

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Whoa. Talk about a customer base. That's a good move on S&W's part. They are going to make a mint.
Is it too late to invest?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hope S&W is going for the military and LEO market. I've spent a lot of time in India, and unless the laws have changed recently, it is illiegal for an ordinary citizen to have any handgun larger than a .32 caliber.

There was a booming business in smuggling Chinese Tokarevs (7.62 X 25) into India for years. It would be a great place to reintroduce the .30 Luger round to the public, as well as selling the .32 Magnum as a standard revolver.

Harvey

·
Registered
24 Posts
LIProgun said:
Holy cow!
LIProgun, "Holy Cow" was Harry Caray, not Dirty Harry... ;)

Aren't they worried about the flood of guns that might flow into the wrong hands?!?

THINK OF THE HOLY COWS! um, AND THE CHILDREN!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts