Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me anything about SAK barrels compared to TRW on quality, cost, and availability? Which one is more desireable in GI contour chrome? Here is one I found, so any info about this particular one would be great.

SAK-7790130-12-69-D-6845

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
The SAK marked barrels are standard contour USGI chrome-moly NM barrels. They are not chrome lined. IIRC, SAK also made some medium weight barrels in the 80's, but I think those are marked with General Dynamics cage code as Saco-Lowell had been bought out by GD by then.

TRW made both chrome-lined barrels & chrome-moly NM barrels.

Both the SAK & TRW NM barrels are very nice, the problem is finding one in new condition.

EDIT: Oh crap, I r dum. As Jeremy said, they did make both. Sorry for the error. Pretty sure they did make the medium weight barrels in the 80's though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That barrel is a std chromelined Saco. They also made non-chrome std profile NM barrels in the mid 70's. In the 80s they made the last run of std wgt chrome lined barrels.

·
Registered
366 Posts
SAK standard chrome lined barrels will be marked 7790190 and they also made standard non chrome NM barrels marked 7791362.

In the mid 80's, General Dynamics (SAK) made medium weight barrels. These ones are said to be the finest quality USGI NM barrels made. I have a new one and am trying to decide if I want to use it now or go with a standard barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts