Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does one go about scoping a Garand, can any rifle be used or does it need to have a M1D or M1C barrel?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Easiest way would be to buy a used receiver that has already been drilled and tapped. They're not scarce and go for fairly cheap as it destroys any collector value of the rifle.

Getting an M1D barrel and mount would be the most expensive way to go. The M1C used the same barrel as the M1, only they were hand picked.

Ty

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have to agree with 30Cal. The D model conversion is rather expensive. I changed my gun over to a D model years ago and am now in the process of rebarreling to make it a standard garand again. I was cheap and purchased a reproduction barrel and mounts and have had trouble with it almost the entire time. The reproduction barrels would be great as a display piece and can be had with scope mounts and the modified front handguard for around $250. I'm shure the original D model barrels are much harder to find and a bit more expensive. I did all this before finding the great advise on this website. I spent roughly a thousand bucks to do this conversion not including the original price of the rifle. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
vf1000ride said:
...I was cheap and purchased a reproduction barrel and mounts and have had trouble with it almost the entire time...
Don't sweat it--the USGl M1D parts aren't much better. The original design was pretty marginal in the first place. Mine is always looking for an excuse to shift around.

A single thumbscrew and two kinematic points is not a good way to make a solid mount.

Ty

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I wasn't aware that the original barrels had trouble also. Never really looked into it. Mine has a problem with the bore not aligning correctly with the threads at the end of the barrel. I have broken 2 flash hiders from bullets hitting the inside of it. I never had trouble with the fit between the scope mount and base due to the fact that I custom welded and then machined the surfaces into true (well, no trouble after fixing the bad fit). I love the look of the rifle with the scope and all the goodies on it but I'm starting to want more accuracy than my current settup can give.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The easiet way is to buy an S&K mount. Very easy to put on and quite solid on the rifle. Does not alter the rifle.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yep, the s&k mount is the way to go. It is very sturdy and cost about 100 dollars. It's kind of a pain to get sighted in but when you do, the zero stays.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can't see it from the picture but the scope is offset to the left and the clips go in and out with no problem at all.

There is also a small peep sight in the regular position for those times when you want to still use iron sights.

A nice mount and setup.

I have a spare. if you are interested PM me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bigswin;

I tried to reply twice to your PM but it doesn't look like my messages are getting out for some reason.

PM me with your email address and I will shoot you an email.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Garand scope mount

I saw a S& K mount on e-bay yesterdayCHEAP, but do not have the URL handy---a search for Garand scope mount should easily turn it up HTH
Semper Fi !

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the S&K mount and the ejecting clip. I put one on my DGR upgrade with a Burris ballistic plex scope. Since you can't rotate the scope to get the knobs out of the way and have the yardage marks mean anything I had Burris switch them. easy fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts