Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen alot of questions about scope mounts. I had the 3rd gen Springfield (aluminum) mount. I had another mount i bought out of shotgun news (steal) which was better than the spingfield it wasnt even a brand name is was like TSA or something. and now i have settled with the ARMS mount. the Arms mount is awesome. I have 3 different scopes I can put on this thing and take them off and they all hold zero. (tried it at the range swapped out 6 times just to make sure). it is rock solid. The aimpoint i use usually sits in the safe until hunting season rolls around. and this year i took it to the range and fire 2 shots to check zero and it was there. the Arms rings and mounts are excellent. the best feature is that if you want to use iron sites you cant even see the mount. its like it aint even there. if anyone looking to scope thier m1a out this is the platform you want to go with. cant swing the Arms? just as long as it is steal and not aluminum you will have a solid base.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Excellent report. When you remove your scope do you remove the mount or leave the mount on the rifle and remove just the scope/rings? I've been thinking about getting one of these myself.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I won't argue with you. But I use the 1st generation mount that came with my M1A and have had the same results. The scope/mount sit in the safe until I decide to use the scope. I install at the range, torque it snug, and it is always within 1" of dead center, which is enough for hunting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the ARMS rings are "quick throw lever" they work like a cam and not only sqeezes the mount but pull down. the base is just like any m1a scope mount. replace stripper clip guide and mount.

I had the mount that springfield put out and i would torque the mess out of it because it would always vibrate loose that is why i started to looking for a steal scope mount.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Kantuky Rebel said:
I had the mount that springfield put out and i would torque the mess out of it because it would always vibrate loose that is why i started to looking for a steal scope mount.
I know this has been the common big complaint with them, but oddly, I have not had this issue in 15 years of use. I torque once by hand using a tool I made for the thumb screw slot. I re-check torge after 10 -20 rnds, but it never seems to back-off. The aluminum mount does deform where it contacts the rifle lugs, but this is better than the lugs on the rifle deforming. The deformation is enought that I removed the D-ring retaining the the thumb screw to the mount, because the D-ring was contacting the rifle receiver and starting to wear the finish. When the time comes, I will get the 3rd generation mount but I won't use the stripper clip mounting.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
you may have to use the stripper guide replacement - the aft end of the 3rd generation doesn't line up with the receiver the way the second/first generations do but sits out a little ways - or at least mine does- it's also dished inside to mate up with that aft screw- if you try to use it with just the fore screw, you can't get it tight enough to torque properly or the mount itself starts to cant over- i'm using an original springfield circa 61 ( not an m1a) or the screw may break in the hole due to torque- then you're really in trouble- i had this happne and had to use an easy out -

·
Registered
402 Posts
t-star said:
you may have to use the stripper guide replacement - the aft end of the 3rd generation doesn't line up with the receiver the way the second/first generations do but sits out a little ways - or at least mine does- it's also dished inside to mate up with that aft screw- if you try to use it with just the fore screw, you can't get it tight enough to torque properly or the mount itself starts to cant over- i'm using an original springfield circa 61 ( not an m1a) or the screw may break in the hole due to torque- then you're really in trouble- i had this happne and had to use an easy out -
Thanks for the info, I will need to get a better look at a 3rd gen up close before I decide to buy one to replace my 1st gen. From the exterior, the 3rd gen looks identicle to my 1st gen, except for the snd thumb screw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts