Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this once before, but has anyone tried the scout mount sold be Fulton's?

I want to scope one of my M1's but I don't want to make it perminent or harm the reciever. Also, if I do comit to it, depending on the feed back from you guys and gals, what kind of scope would be recommended for this type of set up?

My goal is minimum 300yds.

J

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Haven't tried the forward mount, but I love the S&K mount they sell. I hunt quite often using one on a 5 mil Springfield.

As for scopes, unless you have a match grade rifle, I suspect most mid-priced scopes will do. To test my set up out, I bought an el cheapo BSA Deerhunter for about $40, with no intention of keeping it on. It came with the dial markings on backwards :shock: . Well, the dang thing did so well I ended up leaving it on there. After 200 rounds, its still holding its zero, and the gun is shooting 2' groups at 100 yards (that's as tight as the rifle will group, scope or no). Since I'm only using it out to 150 yards, I decided to leave it alone.

But for 300 yards, I'd buy something of considerably higher quality.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure which scout mount Fulton sells, but I have the AmegaRanges scout mount on one of my M1's with a Leupold 2.5 X 28mm scout scope. It's a great setup with the only down side being the low power of the scope.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the burris 4-16x44 its good from the top mil dot to the last tic mark on the ballistic post. It wont work on the scout style mount but burris does make some scout scopes that you should check out!

Gun

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I agree with Cowboy. Spend no more than a couple hundred dollars on a scope unless you are going to really trick the rifle out to be a tack driver.

To throw in my two cents, I would recommend a fixed power scope. I have a variable power Leopold VX-II that I never adjust. I could have gotten more scope for the same money.

Here are a few things I would look for when shopping for a scope: What type of reticle do you prefer? Is the reticle illuminated for low light? Do you want that feature? Are the lenses coated for glare reduction? Do the adjustment knobs have audible clicks so that you can adjust them without looking? Is the finish shiny or matte?

Having said that, I have heard good things about the Bushnell Combat Elite 3200.

I have heard good things about both the S&K and the Fulton Armory. They are both similar designs and work well.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Cowboy said:
But for 300 yards, I'd buy something of considerably higher quality.
you mean like a $50 scope? j/k :lol:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, from the responces to my post I've decided to get the scout mount from Fulton. Might make a nice x-mas gift to myself, as for the scope I'm not sure yet.

thanks abunch,

J

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, I did it. I went with the scout mount offered by Fulton's. I got it in the door on Tuesday and had it on by that night. Very easy to install, now I'm just tring to find the right scope to mount on it. I'm thinking of a Wallymart special just to see what it can do this weekend.

The cool thing about it is that you can remove the scope and still use the iron sights. It's got a nice channel down the middle of the mount.

I'll post some pics when I get the scope, thanks guys.

J

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If you find the right rings, you will still be able to use the irons with the scope in place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Scope/Amegaranges rail

Hey, Shadowdiver--

I have read some VERY interesting things about the Burris ballistic-plex handgun scopes. There are two models, the 2-7 and the 3-12 (?). They have the required 12-14" of eye-relief easy-- but <bad> they are going to cost you $300 +/- new in box. But--you said that you were interested in 300 yard accuracy--the interesting thing with the Ballistic Plex reticle is that the ACOG-style stadia lines provide accurate holdovers out to 600 yards (!).

Google up Boston Gun Bible + Burris Ballistic Plex--found a couple board posts (real detailed)--and a guy in the Midway "product reviews" talks about how he scoped his garand with one.

Might be worth looking into--try to snag one used on one of the equipment boards. As I understand it, they come with a "forever" warranty. The rings I've heard recommended were the low Leupold Quick Detach (Pitcainny-style crossbolt--QDW? $50) so you could transition to back-up ironsights by popping off the scope.

Best of luck.

--David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts