Gunhub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang:

I bought my first good scope (Leupold Mark 4) and will be using it on an AR15 and M1A. I have picatinney rails on each and will be using ARMS 22 throw lever rings (30 mm).

Should I bother lapping the rings? What do I gain doing this and how important is it? Do you?

Can you recommend a tool or method?

I am not a seasoned long range shooter. My goals are repeatability and RTZ on both rifles, hitting as close to POA at 100 yds as possible.

TIA,

Matt

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
Lapping of rings normally requires a tool, available from Brownells. If the rings aren't aligned, and of the proper i.d., they can place undue stress on the tube, leading to errors at distance. How much error can only be determined upon measuring for installation. Many times, the error is miniscule, but you'll never know until you check. :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sinclair also has the lapping kit for about $16.00 if I remember correctly. Phone is 1-219-493-1858. I was surprised just how much out of alignment the ones I have lapped were. They were all higher dollor guns/rings/bases. From what I have seen it is probably wourth the time and cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts