Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a primary carry piece. These will be fixed sights on a semi-auto. They will have tritium inserts. I've already settled on one or two manufacturers. Most rear sights seem to have slot width of .125". Many of these, such as Heinie offer "race" options of wider widths around .145"-.155", others retain the .125" rear and narrow the front blade to achieve the same effect of more visible space or light between blade and sides of slot. This is not going to be a target pistol, and my inclination is to go with the widest rear slot and standard width front blade. Does anybody care to offer their thoughts, based on experience, about this? Thanks in advance--Geodan

·
Super Moderator
13,174 Posts
geodan said:
my inclination is to go with the widest rear slot and standard width front blade.
You are truly on the Path of Enlightenment, young Jedi! :wink:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sam--how do the AO express sights do lining up longer shots?

As I practice I do about 10% of my shooting from 5 yards, 80% from unknown distance between 5 and 20 yards, and 10% quick but carefully aimed shots at 30-40 yards. I know most defense encounters take place at conversational distances but I try to keep in practice for these longer shots and have felt that having a full notch to work with is what makes these 40 yard hits not just possible but probable, especially if I'm supported from cover, like leaning against a telephone pole while shooting around and using for cover. Our IDPA club almost always includes at least one scenario which requires using cover in this manner. Now I really need to work on my miserable off-hand skills....

·
Registered
10,804 Posts

They should do just fine at 30 plus yards but be slower. Like express sights on an African rifle, they're intended for fast and close work. FWIW, with my bad eye sight at 70 plus, I just pay attention to the front sight usually. My daily carry has no real sights, just a tritium dot and bar combo cut into the slide. I find I can still hit coke cans at 20 yards, so the Ashley Express should work even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
An assailant at 30 to 40 yards is no immediate threat. Shoot somebody, no matter how evil they are, at that distance and you go to jail.
IDPA is a recreational shooting game not practical self-defense practice or training. Leaning against a telephone pole is not cover. It's not concealment either. An IDPA course of fire with one in it, makes the game fun, but practical it ain't. Maybe if you're shooting prone and shooting around a pole, but not leaning against it.
In any case, your sights need to be highly visible. They come in sets, front and rear. Mixing them doesn't work well. If you want tritium, buy a matched set and quit worrying about the size of the rear sight 'slot'.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Go with the wider rear sight notch. When I first got my BHP Mk 2, which had a 0.1" front sight and a 0.145" rear notch, I intended to change the sights. After breaking the weapon in, my 1911's got a session in the milling machine. Looking THROUGH the sights is much better than looking over them.

I happen to prefer a tritium insert in the front sight only. Simplifies the sight picture and if you need more than the front sight in the dark, you've no business shooting at it with a pistol.

Sunray, you're entitiled to your opinions. However, the post brings to mind Ortega y Gassett and his comment about printing presses.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah--more responses to the thread. While I'm intrigued by the express sight concept, I have settled on the Heinie slant pro, with the .155" rear slot.
Sunray---I never considered mixing and matching fronts and rears. Heinie, and others, offer different slot widths as options and they have reasons for doing so. I know IDPA is a game, but it is one game that endeavors to throw a few situations at a contestant that develop skills that may well have real world applications. I take your point that a telephone pole isn't the ultimate in cover, but if you don't believe it amounts to any sort of cover, I'd disagree with you. More importantly I think, IDPA conditions one to certain very useful real world practices such as seeking cover when it is available, not moving between cover points with an unloaded firearm, etc. And you would never convince me that it would be a detriment to know how to hit with your primary defensive pistol at 30 yds, even if shooting an assailant at 30 yards would get you unwelcome legal scrutiny. 2 questions come to mind: Don't you think being able to hit at 30 yards increases your ability to hit at closer distance? And if someone was shooting at you from 30 yards away, would you shoot back, or take one in the chest to avoid being the target of subsequent legal scrutiny?
While I would never initiate a shooting action without imminent mortal danger, I don't think any particular # of yards of separation would make any difference to me if someone were shooting at me.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
They're all gimmicks. Just get a set you can see, and practice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts