Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I think about this product (which wasn't on exhibit, but roaming the aisles with Scott Camp), I like it!

Normally, I'm agin "mechanical safety gizmos," but the Safe Direction™ Ballistic Containment System (a mealy mouthful for a soft gun case with a hard-target mindset) is a good concept, and should be a required accessory for all attendees at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch who are staying in local accommodations… and all Glock-owners, especially those in the Brotherhood of the Blue.

BTW, while SHOT Reports are my present priority, I'm working on a new page which consists of an increasingly heated (on his part, not mine as I am, as always, the very model of calm sagacity!) E-mail dialogue with the progenitor of one of those "mechanical safety gizmos," an expanding bullet device. His parthian shot to me was "Please publish it all if you have the guts to show people who you really are."

I was looking forward to seeing him at SHOT, but I don't think he was exhibiting.

Stand by…

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Safe Direction™ Ballistic Containment System

Dean do you know the pricetag on that bag? I'd love to see a picture -- better yet, video -- of it being tested.

Ed

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Safe Direction™ Ballistic Containment System

Ed said:
Dean do you know the pricetag on that bag? I'd love to see a picture -- better yet, video -- of it being tested.
I dug up their contact info and have dropped a note to the guys who came up with this item, and asked then to stop by and give you more information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok...the older I get, the more natural my blonde becomes...

but the Safe Direction™ Ballistic Containment System (a mealy mouthful for a soft gun case with a hard-target mindset)
I'm not sure what this is, so perhaps you could describe it in more detail, please.

Regarding Gunsite, they already issue a pistol case-size box that has a mini-IPSC style target backed by bullet-stopping (or slowing) material of some type. They also provide a few dummy rounds to each student. The students are supposed to use these for dry fire practice after class, but methinks that mirrors and televisions still get shot with alarming regularity.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ms. Lace said:
I'm not sure what this is, so perhaps you could describe it in more detail, please.
Click on the name in the root post… it's a link to an image.
Regarding Gunsite, they already issue a pistol case-size box that has a mini-IPSC style target backed by bullet-stopping (or slowing) material of some type. They also provide a few dummy rounds to each student.
So I've just been informed by a certain Leprechaun-type… called a "Firesafe," I believe.

He asked "Didn't you get one at your 250??" Hell, no! Weidleigh, Horne and Young just told us to make sure no live rounds were in the room with us when we dry-fired!

Delighted to see you here, M'am.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is this man laughing?

[IMG=center]http://www.thegunzone.com/shot/images/bane-head.jpg[/IMG]

I'll bet that not even he can remember… Michael?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Kit! Glad to see you here too. After seeing the guys at SHOT, I couldn't resist joining the fun again. Us Colorado gals have to stick together, eh?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
TB: please tell me that isn't real.
Would that I could. Perhaps someone that was there picked up a brochure on the P2000 (although I can't imagine why), and can report definitively.
What I know is second hand. John Farnam puts out by e-mail on a semi-regular basis (a couple of times/week) notes from correspondents and observations. These are titled DTIquips, and after a few months find their way on to his web page.I am not on John's mailing list, but I have them forwarded to me from a mutual friend. They are also frequently cross-posted to different e-mail lists that I receive.
His e-mail titled: "[Dtiquips] 2004 SHOT Show in Las Vegas, NV," dated 2/20/04 contained the following statement:
H&K's glossy brochure on the P2000 plainly shows a magazine, right on the front cover, with rounds loaded in backwards! I wonder if anyone ever talks to anyone else over there.
I had read about this brochure somewhere else, prior to getting John's e-mail, but I can't remember where. Sometime Friday the URL for the image was posted on the API list.
That's what I know. I think it's real.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CeePee said:
I'm sure that the Teutonic mindset will allow them to blame it on the ammo.
In this case I suspect that someone will be frog-marched into a Virginian bog in the early dawn, and then massive opprobrium will be heaped up the missing person's memory.

"You still haff relatives in Churmany, yes?"

[NB to Welder Walt: thanks for the heads-up… the link is fixed.]

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Steve Camp was at the NTI. When he wasn't shooting, he was showing his his Safe Direction case and his rotating steel target.
List price for the larger case, which he had on hand, is $275.
Like Dean, I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that it will provide much in the way of safety. Most shooters are convinced that they don't need it, because they won't have an AD, so they won't buy it. If one of those shooters ends up with one, perhaps because their department buys one and mandates its use, they still probably will not use it. It might provide some departmental protection against liability, but I don't think it'll provide any safety.
Nevertheless, if while away from home one is ever going to dry fire, clear or recharge the pistol, having a safe direction is important.
I bought one.
I already had a knock-off of his rotating steel target.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts