Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WALLKILL, N.Y. - Authorities say a police officer's personal handgun discharged twice when someone tried to steal his jacket while he was in the bathroom at an upstate New York shopping mall.

The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that Lt. Paul Pratti of the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office had hung his jacket on a stall door in a restroom at the Galleria in Wallkill in neighboring Orange County last Saturday night.

Officials say someone reached over the door and tried to grab his jacket, with the gun inside. Police say the gun fired twice, with both bullets hitting the ceiling. No one was injured.

Authorities say Pratti was off duty at the time. Town of Wallkill police are investigating, while the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office is also conducting an internal investigation.

Source

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Anyone care to guess what make of gun was involved? ;):p:D

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Snake45,

can you say: G***K?

yours, sw
Ten years ago I'd have laid a $100 bet on it. Now there are so many "Glock-ish" guns floating around it could be almost anything.

But I'll bet it wasn't a DA revolver, a 1911, or an old-school DA automatic. ;)

Oh, and...twice? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Ten years ago I'd have laid a $100 bet on it. Now there are so many "Glock-ish" guns floating around it could be almost anything.

But I'll bet it wasn't a DA revolver, a 1911, or an old-school DA automatic. ;)

Oh, and...twice? :confused::confused::confused:
Mas once related a story of an officer hung his GM on a coat hook in the stall; when he reached for it, he bumped the trigger against the hook and it fired. When he jumped, he bumped the trigger again...:eek:mg:
:cluebat:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Those "self-actuating" guns are the most unpredictable. ;)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Mas once related a story of an officer hung his GM on a coat hook in the stall; when he reached for it, he bumped the trigger against the hook and it fired. When he jumped, he bumped the trigger again...:eek:mg:
:cluebat:
Let me guess he not only had the thumb safety off, but had a rubber band holding the grip safety down or is that in?

Geoff
Who was taught to keep it holstered until you needed it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If he was grabbing it from below he could have depressed the grip safety himself.

Shades of Tim Conway in McHale's Navy when he would go on holstered rampages....

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Let me guess he not only had the thumb safety off, but had a rubber band holding the grip safety down or is that in?

Geoff
Who was taught to keep it holstered until you needed it. :mrgreen:
I don't think so; Mas would have certainly made a point of it. Does he even lurk here anymore? It's been a while since I've seen him post.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Some folks have intense lives and just cannot post often. As we used to say on the old Cleveland FreeNet, "He had a near life experience and dropped off."
Geoff
Who notes his unlimited access to the internet and an HD cable package costs him $166 or so next year. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yep; I read his blog as he's surely not one for sitting still.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Snake45,

AGREED. Safety is ONE reason that I carry nothing concealed but my little Sig-Sauer P6/P225.
(In 1987, The German KRIMINALPOLITZI investigated a case involving a German police officer, who shot a civilian female "by accident", with his issued Sig-Sauer P6 duty weapon. After an exhaustive investigation that lasted nearly a year, the KRIPO "forensic techs" could NOT find NO way that the weapon could have been fired "by accident". - FYI, based in part on the forensic investigation's results, the "police officer" was tried, convicted & imprisoned for 6 years, for what we would likely call "murder without malice".)

The first 2 weeks that the DC Metro Police issued [email protected]#$Ks, they had a total of 9 REPORTED "accidental discharges".
(One wonders how many ACTUAL "accidental discharges" occurred but were NOT "officially reported"?)

FOUR issued pistols "went off", IN the holster, getting into/out of patrol cars. - Two of those "incidents" caused the LEO to be wounded with his own weapon.
(It was determined by the DC Police's investigation that the "department's issue holster" MAY have "contributed to" the "accidental discharges".)

As a direct result of those "accidental discharges" at DC Metro, I know of at least two "National Capitol Area" police agencies that bought/issued DA pistols to their LEO, to replace their aging S&W & Colt's .38SPL/.357MAG revolvers.
(I was at that time working as a USACIDC supervisior in the NCA & was carrying a BHP.)

yours, sw

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
The first 2 weeks that the DC Metro Police issued [email protected]#$Ks, they had a total of 9 REPORTED "accidental discharges".
(One wonders how many ACTUAL "accidental discharges" occurred but were NOT "officially reported"?)
And also in the first year, if I'm not mistaken, one of their officer's 2-year-old daughter managed to shoot herself to death with daddy's service Glock. (She MIGHT have been 3, but either way I doubt she'd have been able to do it with the DA revolver that DC had previously issued.)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
As Snake said, there are a LOT of Glock-like pistols out there nowadays. The incident in the mall bathroom? I call BS on that, I don't care WHAT kind of pistol it was. He shoulda been playing with the gun God gave him, not his department issue.

I just can't generate the deep down hate for Glocks that you run into sometimes. To be clear, I don't own one. Just don't like the way they feel. I have an issued Glock 22 that stays in my safe, as our current sheriff allows us to carry what we wish, within certain guidelines.

The death of that poor child? Blame falls completely on the head of that officer. I did have to carry a Glock for several years under a previous administration. I had toddler grandchildren in my house, so I bought a Blackhawk Serpa, reasoning that they wouldn't be able to activate the release, and kept the Glock, condition 1, in the holster making sure it was placed very high or locked up. I kept my home gun on me. Period. Leaving a loaded live pistol, of ANY type, laying around unsupervised with children around is idiocy. That poor child and the parents have paid and are paying a horrible price.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Snake45; IrishCop,

FYI, i do NOT "hate" Glocks. I just believe, based on expierience of the DC Metro Police & other similar LE agencies (who have had many similar "accidental discharges"), that they are just plain too hazardous for the average LEO to be issued, given the MYRID of safer handguns out there.
(As most LE "pros" KNOW, the average police officer is NOT a "gun fancier". - In point of fact, I found, when working in Baltimore, that many officers of the BPD had NOT actually FIRED their duty weapon in YEARS. = They were "qualifying" with a "model M1 ballpoint pen"! - Also, the majority of officers NEVER fire their duty weapon "in necessity" during their police career.)

In fact, I'll go a step farther: IF we went back to issuing REVOLVERS in .38SPL, with "exceptions to policy" being granted to officers, who could PROVE their COMPETENCE with & SAFE HANDLING OF a SA pistol (as the situation was, when I was a young officer), we all would be BETTER OFF.
Absent that return to the last century's policy on LE weapons, we should issue DAO handguns to our officers, as the DA semi-autos are as safe to handle as a DA revolver is.

just my opinion, as an "old but not bold officer", sw

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Back when we were first considering going to autos, the Washington Post ran a several part article on the DC Metro Police and the Austrian Wunderpistole they'd adopted some years previously.

In short, they'd averaged one AD/ND/UD (take your pick) a month for 12 years. The damage awards totalled double digit millions.

Then, there was the rampant lack of meeting qualification standards, or even trying to qualify officers for multiple years. The current chief got in hot water a few years ago when some investigative reporter discovered she hadn't qualled in 5 years, yet carried daily.

BTW, don't know if anything has changed, but part of the problem was that they didn't pay firearms instructors squat. They had vacancies that went unfilled for years.

In Re the OP, bet there wasn't a holster involved.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
As Snake said, there are a LOT of Glock-like pistols out there nowadays. The incident in the mall bathroom? I call BS on that, I don't care WHAT kind of pistol it was. He shoulda been playing with the gun God gave him, not his department issue.

I just can't generate the deep down hate for Glocks that you run into sometimes. To be clear, I don't own one. Just don't like the way they feel. I have an issued Glock 22 that stays in my safe, as our current sheriff allows us to carry what we wish, within certain guidelines.

The death of that poor child? Blame falls completely on the head of that officer. I did have to carry a Glock for several years under a previous administration. I had toddler grandchildren in my house, so I bought a Blackhawk Serpa, reasoning that they wouldn't be able to activate the release, and kept the Glock, condition 1, in the holster making sure it was placed very high or locked up. I kept my home gun on me. Period. Leaving a loaded live pistol, of ANY type, laying around unsupervised with children around is idiocy. That poor child and the parents have paid and are paying a horrible price.
When I first went back to work, I carried a Model 19 and a couple of speedloaders. It carried much easier than either a Glock or my full sized 1911. Didn't feel unarmed in the least. Did get a lot of questions from younger deputies though.

The adoption of hi-cap autos of all types by LE has just led to a spray and pray generation if you ask me. You just aren't tactical if you can't spit out 45 rounds in 15 seconds, whether you hit anything or not. And

Mr Moore is right. Our firearms instructors get no extra pay, it's just an additional duty on top of their primary assignments. We qualify once a year with a 50 round course. Mostly budget restraints, but there are other factors. It's pitiful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts