Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I originally joined when these were the Woolrich Elite forums, then renewed the account when it became the EOTAC forums, and now I'm back again... :D

Anyway, soon-to-be 37-year old Swede. Did a little bit of military stuff when I was younger (including some "quality time" in the Balkans), then came to the U.S. to learn gunsmithing at Yavapai College in Prescott, Arizona. Went on to work for McMillan Rifles (or McMillan Brothers Rifle Co. or McBros as it was known back then) after that, then went on for additional studies until I returned to my native Sweden in early 2004. Since 2005 I've been employed in the security and defense industry, originally as a gunsmith, but now as the Chief Operating Officer for a small company in that sector.

In my free time I spend too much time in front of the computer, but I also try to get to the range as often as I can. As AR15:s became legal for IPSC Rifle in Sweden over the past year, I've also taken the opportunity to exercise my skills on that weapon's system - something I'm very happy about - including the creation of an on-line "information bank" in Swedish (see my previous comment about too much time in front of the computer) to help bridge the knowledge gap we are experiencing here.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Welcome aboard... again, skullworks. Good to have a different POV.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Welcome from the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Was the sole reason you came to the US to learn gunsmithing? That's something I wish I could devote more time too (sigh).

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
...and from the Heart of Dixie. Glad to have you aboard!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Was the sole reason you came to the US to learn gunsmithing? That's something I wish I could devote more time too (sigh).
Yes sir. Before I volunteered for service in Bosnia one of my friends from the Swedish Navy told me about a gunsmithing school here in Sweden. Since that school was in it's first year of operation I decided that they needed to work out all the kinks before I would apply.

Then, when I got back from Bosnia, one of the first things I did was to buy a U.S. gun magazine (I believe it was Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement), and as is common for most magazines from the U.S., several fliers etc fell out. One of these was a large black and red flier that said "Learn Gunsmithing at Yavapai College".

I filled in and returned that flier, and a few weeks later I received a proper application package including a VCR tape. Doing my due diligence I contacted various other schools I could find on-line at the time (Lassen and Colorado School of Trades comes to mind), but none of these had as an impressive application package as YC. So I applied for (and no big surprise) was accepted to Yavapai College.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at YC, and I learned a lot. I also made friends with people such as Dave Berryhill (who was in my class), and my studies there were directly related to me getting my job at McBros

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have an M86 McMillan rifle that they built for me years ago, before Gale died. It's a wonderful rifle. The barrel is so finally made I almost never have problems with copper accumulating in the bore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gale would pop by the shop from time to time, and the workbench I used was borrowed from Gale's garage. Unfortunately Gale passed away during my time at McMillan, and he is sorely missed.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Gale would pop by the shop from time to time, and the workbench I used was borrowed from Gale's garage. Unfortunately Gale passed away during my time at McMillan, and he is sorely missed.
Two of the best posts I ever read on the newsgroup rec.guns were written by Gale. He took the mall ninja sniper wannabees to task for ignorance over long distance shooting. I have a copy saved somewhere. If I can find it, I'll see if I can post a link to deja-news.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts