Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sen Fineswine, D-CA, pulled a slick one and by passed the committees with her SB2498 - a standalone extension of the "assault weapon" ban. The 11 co-authors are the usual suspects in crime. What surprised me is Sen McCain, RINO-AZ, isn't a co-sponsor yet. The bill is on the Senate calendar so call your Senators ASAP. You can get your Senator's DC phone number here
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_i ... rs_cfm.cfm

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
You can go to the senate site and see the actual bill --- here is the header of whom is sponsoring the bill

Mrs. FEINSTEIN (for herself, Mr. WARNER, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. DEWINE, Mr. LEVIN, Mr. CHAFEE, Mr. DODD, Mr. JEFFORDS, Mrs. BOXER, Mrs. CLINTON, Mr. REED, and Mr. LAUTENBERG)

the url for the search area on the senate site is: http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legisl ... e_home.htm go to this link and put in the SB2498

Mike

·
Registered
855 Posts
Re: Sen Fineswine Gets AWB on Senate Calindar.

csmkersh said:
Sen Fineswine, D-CA, pulled a slick one and by passed the committees with her SB2498 - a standalone extension of the "assault weapon" ban.
I think this is probably good news. The fact that Fineswine introduced it as a standalone bill means she probably believes she can't get it added to something like an annual appropriations bill. Tom DeLay is not going to let a companion standalone ban bill reach the floor in the House. About the only real hope the Brady Bunch had is holding an appropriations bill hostage by demanding the ban be included, and then trying to prevent it from being stripped out in the House-Senate Conference Committee.

I would not be surprised if this bill does not even come to a floor vote before the election. The Dems know that gun control is a losing issue on the national level. It helps specific candidates in specific areas, but it was a key factor in Al Gore's defeat. The pathetic showing of the so-called Million Moms last month is further proof that the electorate (even many of the liberal therein) are not fired-up about the ban sunset.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I agree with the counselor; looks like a desperation Hail Mary move to me. Nevertheless, I've voiced my opinion to both Warner and Allen.

·
Registered
973 Posts
WaltGraham said:
Nevertheless, I've voiced my opinion to both Warner and Allen.
Looks like Warner is one of the sponsors. A perfect example of someone out of touch with the majority of the Commonwealth's voters.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
A perfect example of someone out of touch with the majority of the Commonwealth's voters.
That is exactly how I feel with Senator TURD Byrd our senior Senator from WV. When I called his office yesterday and voiced my opinion, I made the comment, "I wanted the senator to know what a constituent's view is even though he usually does not care and will do what he wants anyhow"
The assistant who had answered the phone asked me, "What makes you say that?"
I responded, "Well, during the Carter administration when the US gave the Panama Canal back to Panama, they had done a poll and over 95% of West Virginian's were against giveing it back. Senator Byrd was on 'Meet The Press' or 'Face the Nation' and when the moderator asked him how he could support something so strongly that such a high percentage of his constituents were against, and Senator Byrd's response was 'I am not just a West Virginia Senator, I am a NATIONAL Senator!'.
The woman thanked me and said she would let the Senator know my views on SB2498.

Mike

·
Registered
973 Posts
mikegunner said:
A perfect example of someone out of touch with the majority of the Commonwealth's voters.
That is exactly how I feel with Senator TURD Byrd our senior Senator from WV.
I have the impression that as long as Senator Byrd keeps bringing home the pork, he could vote to give Texas to Mexico and still be re-elected.

I remember during the 1994 campaign US Senate campaign in Tennessee, an otherwise conservative businessman expressed concern when it looked like Bill Frist would defeat James Sasser. The fellow disagreed with nearly everything Sasser stood for, but thought it was better to have someone in office who could direct more federal dollars to this state.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Y'know, Mike, stuff like that could be avoided if we went back to the original Constitutional model for Senators: they are appointed by the various state legislatures, and are answerable to the governors of their individual states.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Actually JR the problem with Senator TURD Byrd has not as much to do with Pork as it does to do with him being a Democrat. Here in our state, the Democrats outnumber the Republicans about 4-1. Satan could get elected if running on the Democrat ticket. Even in the rare case we do elect a Republican Governor, the legislature is still over 90% Democrat.

I have always been involved in politics (working on campaigns etc...) and I could just go on and on with stories. But, so as not to bore the heck out of everyone I won't get into those!

Mike

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, Alarmed, do you think Fineswine had it staged?

AS to the AWB, the sunset date hasn't come and gone just yet. There's a budget that didn't get passed that's just begging an amendment so the House Rs can sell us out again like the Senate Rs did in 1994 and again this past March.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't necessarily think the upstanding :bigpuke: senator from Kalifornia would be foolish enough to do such a thing. However, there are true believers out there that would to make a point.

It wouldn't suprise me to see 2 or 3 more such incidents to occure in the next month before congress takes a summer break.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts