Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked before, but... is there any information on garand serial #'s out there that give an indication of what units a Garand was issued to, where and when.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sorry, no.
There is a collectors site has had VERY limited info on a very few individual US military rifles that have something about them historical and was reason to retain that info.

However, the military had no interest in where a rifle had been or who it was issued to.
All they care about is where a rifle is NOW and who is responsible for it.
Once a rifle was turned in and reissued, the old records were destroyed, since they were of no use or interest.

Since rifles were shipped to a depot then out to whoever needed them, you can't even be sure where in the world or which service it was sent to.
You might be able to determine a rifle was sent to the Marines in the Pacific, but the rifle made just before it may have gone to the Air Corp in Alaska, and the rifle just after it may have gone to the Army in Georgia.

Bottom line is, since no records were kept, there's no way to determine the past history of a rifle.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shadowdiver,

IF your garand was modified by the (AMU) Army Marksmanship Unit, there MAY still be some record of whom it was "accurized" FOR but otherwise the answer above by dfariswheel is generally correct.
(at one time, the MP Museum at Ft McClellan had some records of garands that were issued to a particuliar "designated marksman" but i think that even those records were disposed of when the museum moved to Ft Leonardwood. - you might call the curator & ask.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. The Army only keeps records for 7 years at the most if your lucky. I was only wondering if there was a resource for research into that area. But it would really be cool if we could find out where our rifles were sent to and if they ever saw any use in combat. The world may never know...:dunno:

Many thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. The Army only keeps records for 7 years at the most if your lucky. I was only wondering if there was a resource for research into that area. But it would really be cool if we could find out where our rifles were sent to and if they ever saw any use in combat. The world may never know...:dunno:

Many thanks guys.
I have an M-1 Carbine my father brought back from Korea. It has some nicks and dings in the wood .... sometimes when I look at it I wonder what the backstory is to some of those marks.
There's no way of knowing, really.
Just part of the "lore" of these old service weapons.;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stuff legends are made of...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts