Gunhub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
i dunno, i don't have one, but i looked at em alot for a while, i'm still deciding. the reticle is revolutionary. period. BUT thats what your paying for, the reticle. supposedly the actuall scope is kinda trashy as in light transmission reliability and over all quality. really tears me uup because the bausch and lomb i bought from casual spoiled me with it's disgustingly pretty optics. frankly, someday i'll most likly break down and buy a shepherd, but im really waiting for leupold to copy there reticle. that'd be the day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always had Nikons and Leupolds, but i was curious about that reticle system too. I didn't know if the glass was not as good or overall quality of the scope was bad or what. Thanks for some insight. They seem like they are proud of them anyway. I read the testemonials and a few seemed far fethced.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've got four of them and I do like them. They work as advertised. I have one on a M1A, one on a Savage tactical, one on a Remington 700 and the other on sporterized 1903A3.

I have the P-2 models. they are calibrated for a velocity range of 2,600 - 2,800 fps. The glass in these are excellent. I use mine for hunting, and tactical shooting events at the club I belong to.

You will see in other sites or posts where people say they are flimsy, but mine have worked perfectly for a number years and rounds fired, and other people I have met who have them, haven't had any problems either.

·
Registered
542 Posts
do you truly believe they are worth seven hundred plus dollers?

or is it more of a supply and demand, were the only ones who do this so we pick da price kinda thing??

·
Registered
645 Posts
The varmit version is around $700.00, the regular version is $625.00 I believe. The upper class Leupolds cost as much or more. If you do, or plan on doing, a lot of shooting at known or unknown ranges out to 1,000 yards, then the Shepherd scope is worth the money. I think the glass in them is excellent.

·
Registered
542 Posts
cool, maby i will GET ONE, i'm scope dumb, it'd help me to zero.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have one on a 270 wthby mag works great a little confusing at first but the system works.I shot 5 rounds into a 1" paster at 600 yrds so the glass is really clear and holds zereo.used it at 1000 and it worked clear as a bell used the reticle to get on paper first shot.Don't know what else to say except they are decent scopes for the price.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
you have to be looking at some very low-end scopes to get bad "glass" these days.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm a big fan of stadia lines or other visual holdover reference, and I like the Shepherd concept (but not at the price). Burris will give you a visual reference for 1/3rd the cost. On the high end, Premier (http://www.premierreticles.com) will put a custom reticle in Leupolds which is tuned to the trajectory of your specific load data for $255 -- and it doesn't void the warranty. Thus, you can choose different slugs, BCs, velocities, etc., and you can do it with Loopy optics, and can even add other reticle features. Other interesting systems are Horus Scopes (http://www.horusvision.com/index.cfm) and the several moving stadia type.

I did a lot (maybe 2000 rds) of experimenting with a .22LR a while back (Dr. said no heavy recoil while my eye was in recovery). Using a visual holdover reference could get me in the ballpark quickly out to 380 yds (which surprised the heck outta me for a .22 which is subsonic for most of the way). I will likely only buy scopes with stadia wire holdover reference from now on. Probably a Burris next, but the notion of the Premier custom is very attractive... I imagine if a bunch of people were to get together and order a specific custom reticle to do what Shepherd does (but maybe without all the busy-ness of all the circles on the vertical crosshair, and with some horizontal marks for windage estimation) we could probable get a superior reticle at a good price....

-- cw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts