Gunhub.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Garands needs to be repaired by a gunsmith. I would like to ship it from California to another State for repair. I was going to ship it in a CMP box thru Fedex. I was told that I have to be a licensed firearms dealer to do this. I don't have a C&R license either. How do I do this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
You will need to find a local dealer to ship and receive it for you. $20 to $30 is usually the going rate for a transfer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have shipped a rifle across state lines. I do not have a FFL or C&R. I did not need to have the gunsmiths FFL when I shipped it. The rules are as long as you are sending a rifle to a person that is a FFL holder and the same weapon is coming back to you a FFL is not required. When you go to the post office you must state that you have a rifle in the box and it is not loaded. Its safer to have the box open when you show up to prove your point. Make sure you do not mark on the box that it contains a weapon. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Per ATF Regs, you don't need to have a FFL or C&R to ship your own rifle for repairs and receive it when it is done. You only need an FFL to do an interstate transfer (of ownership). Mail it USPS 2-Day Priority. The USPS will accept unloaded long guns.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Today I shipped a carbine Priority Mail to a FFL holder in another state. I did not have to declare the contents of the package and I insured it for its actual value plus. It cost around $18.00 and USPS supplied the box and tape free.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can even ship it off to the manufacturer or importer and have them send you back a replacement with a different serial number.

Whoever told you this at FedEx isn't aware of the laws.

(B8 ) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(P25) A firearm is delivered to a licensee by an unlicensed individual for the purpose of repair. Is the return of the repaired firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law? Would the transfer of a replacement firearm from the licensee to the owner of the damaged firearm be subject to the requirements of the Brady law? [Back]

Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee's permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

·
Registered
388 Posts
FED-EX is NOT the USPS nor are they goverened by any of the USPS or ATF rules. For normal 'JOE' they will not send a gun.

I've shipped about a dozen rifles. USPS is the only game in town that will cooperate with me. I also send my rifles in boxes that don't scream 'GUN'.

Ship your rifle USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation. It clearly states in their DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) that you may ship as long as it is unloaded.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
FED-EX is NOT the USPS nor are they goverened by any of the USPS or ATF rules. For normal 'JOE' they will not send a gun.
Fed-X here in SW MO takes firearms shipped to an FFL or 'smith for repairs. I've done it several times.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Registered
301 Posts
travisaasen said:

I've shipped about a dozen rifles. USPS is the only game in town that will cooperate with me. I also send my rifles in boxes that don't scream 'GUN'.

Ship your rifle USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation. It clearly states in their DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) that you may ship as long as it is unloaded.

Good Luck
Are you NUCKING FUTS? FedEX is just as governed by the ATF as anybody else is. They are a "Common Carrier" as mentioned in B9. And yes, FedEx ships guns for normal Joes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Of course they are goverened by the ATF regarding the shipping of guns they just choose to make it impossible in my area. They will not ship them unless I tape my ffl and the recipeints ffl to the box. forget that! I can't meet those regulations. Remember: FEDEX is bascially a private company - they don't have to ship our guns.

If you print out the page from the DMM the United States Post office MUST ship the guns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
JAG06 said:
Per ATF Regs, you don't need to have a FFL or C&R to ship your own rifle for repairs and receive it when it is done. You only need an FFL to do an interstate transfer (of ownership). Mail it USPS 2-Day Priority. The USPS will accept unloaded long guns.
Ownership has nothing to do with a transfer. It is possession that counts. When you ship to a gunsmith, you are making a transfer of the firearm and it must be to a licensee. There is no requirement to ship from a licensee.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went to the PO to mail a C&R rifle to a C&R holder out of state last week. The guy at the counter asked me what was in the box and I told him it was a rifle. He said " You can't mail that unless you are a dealer on file with us". No one there knew the proper form to fill out, I left my name and number and they still have'nt called me!

So I went to FEDEX and shipped it for 50% less than UPS or USPS have been charging. I just shipped an SAR1 by FEDEX to Fla. with $400.00 insurance, it cost less than $10.00.

A couple months ago I went to a UPS sore and they say they are not allowed to ship rifles except for 2nd day service. They can not ship ammo either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Valkyrie0002 said:
I went to the PO to mail a C&R rifle to a C&R holder out of state last week. The guy at the counter asked me what was in the box and I told him it was a rifle. He said " You can't mail that unless you are a dealer on file with us". No one there knew the proper form to fill out, I left my name and number and they still have'nt called me!

So I went to FEDEX and shipped it for 50% less than UPS or USPS have been charging. I just shipped an SAR1 by FEDEX to Fla. with $400.00 insurance, it cost less than $10.00.

A couple months ago I went to a UPS sore and they say they are not allowed to ship rifles except for 2nd day service. They can not ship ammo either.
The guy at the post office was quoting the regulation for shipping handguns. All other firearms can be shipped by anyone with no requirement to fill out any forms. Tell him to check Section C024 of the Domestic Mail Manual.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just for the record I tried to ship a Thompson Center Contender barrel at a UPS Store a few days ago and they refused to ship it when I told them that it was a gun barrel - said it was company policy (I assume they meant for their particular store) not to ship any firearms or firearm parts from their store. They'd even given me some funny looks when I shipped some knives earlier. Needless to say, there are some UPS stores setting more restrictive policies on their own.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Post Office let me ship a pistol back to the manufacture for repair about 1 1/2 yrs ago and they are the ones that told me that as long as it was my firearm and it was going to the manufacture it was ok.They sent it back by another carrier.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When they ask whats in the box I tell them machined parts....it's none of their business....and I insure for what it's worth.

I had a problem with a UPS guy wanting to see the inside of the box. I took my business else where and will not use UPS even though a UPS driver is a good friend of mine who is more gun nuts than I am. I've used the post office as well as FedX. I had to use the PO to ship a rifle back to the CMP and I FedX'ed a pistol to a gun smith.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fedex will ship a long gun here but requires it to be shipped overnight delivery and charges you BIG bucks. UPS charges the same rate as anyother package. But the next time I send a gun it'll be done through the US Post Office.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
if they make you ship overnight use the overnight saver rate. it's less cause delivery is the next ady but not necessarily before 10am.

·
Registered
301 Posts
kidcop said:
When they ask whats in the box I tell them machined parts....it's none of their business....and I insure for what it's worth.

I had a problem with a UPS guy wanting to see the inside of the box. I took my business else where and will not use UPS even though a UPS driver is a good friend of mine who is more gun nuts than I am. I've used the post office as well as FedX. I had to use the PO to ship a rifle back to the CMP and I FedX'ed a pistol to a gun smith.
You're itching for a vacation at Club Fed. What you're doing is a federal felony.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What, to ship a rifle back to the CMP for repairs or shipping a pistol to an FFL gun smith for repairs? The guy I sent the pistol to is an up and up type of fellow who would not ask for something he could not recieve with me shipping it and not be in the letter of the law. 6 days later he shipped it back to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts