Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola from relatively sunny and warm Las Vegas where me 'n' Schmit and, yeah, Fernando are doing the floors of SHOT Show 2004, visiting vendors, collecting information, and sayin' "Hi!" to old friends in the Industry and the gunzine game.

Lotsa new products from H&K where I spent a good amount of time Thursday afternoon, the main feature of which is a gas-piston operated AR-15. Pretty trick! My buddy Chuck Karwan observed, as we were walking around the "consolidated" law enforcement section, "how is it that everyone can make money with the AR15… except Colt's?!?" Just so! (But then as Charlie Petty's late boss, George von Rosen, said to me a dozen years back, "Now that the cowboy craze is taking hold, why is it that everyone seems to have a Colt's SAA… except Colt's?!?")

The four of us (including BOFH) found the most trick "pocket light" in the history of hand-held illumination yesterday afternoon, and unless some unforseen disaster strikes… always a forseeable possibility in any matter in which Fernando is involved… it'll be an AmBack product within the next 45 days.

More later…

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
H&K 1911?

Hey Dean thanks for the report. Has H&K introduced their 1911 model yet?

Have fun,

Ed

·
Registered
183 Posts
P.I.D.

Dean and Fernando,

Give us the details on that P.I.D (personal illumination device or pocket illumination device) to start looking for the info and be ready toplace the order as soon as they are in the Amback inventory.

Look forward to hear from you guys soon... it's been awfully quiet here lately...

Cheers,

Nemo

·
Registered
517 Posts
Greetings GunZone from the trio, BOFH (Chavous), Fernando, and Schmit waiting... impatiently... in the Las Vegas airport, dreaming of making it to the Glock or Outdoor Channel party. Schmit is sitting here giving his parody of dean - "Some skinny chicken "stewardess" is going to get HIS face cut this evening if I see HIM!"

Basically some male "stewardess" (no, I didn't get that wrong) told us that security was REALLY bad, even for the red-eye we're on, and that we HAD to get to the airport 3 hours early.

So here we sit... Schmit and Fernando are sitting here laughing about something - they won't tell me what - something about leaving someone in somewhere. I think they've had too much to drink. My buzz from the Margaritas wore off some time ago, so now I'm pissed - stuck with them... sober... in the airport... for the next three hours... when I could be consuming much free alcohol at one of the parties. I think I'm going to join Schmit if we see that little piece of @#$% on this flight.

Fernando is refusing to sit with us on the flight. He's going to try to sit with the pilots so it will actually be quiet.

Now Schmit is mumbling something about being bored and having to entertain himself. I offered him the use of my computer and cell modem, but he refuses to check his email because everyone who emails him is either at one of the parties, or sitting HERE IN THIS AIRPORT. Fernando offered to send him an email... I'm getting scared.

This could get ugly - and we still have two-and-a-half hours to go.

·
Registered
517 Posts
T-2h 15m... The Amback Trio are still stuck in Las Vegas airport...

The discussion turns to "the most interesting thing from the trip and the show."

Schmit's contribution is below.....

Attachments

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Made it home in one piece. Need coffee....lots of coffee!

Airport security cut the lock on my checked luggage. Don't know what they were looking for but nothing was missing. Surprised that the cigars were still in there.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Fernando -

Glad you made it home OK... I am still not - as I visited w/ some family in Atlanta and now am currently sitting in the MAJOR TRANSPORTATION HUB known as the Augusta Regional Airport... and I thought Columbia's airport sucked. As I said before, I have to pick up my mother, who is ALSO flying in from parts-of-the-country-unknown today.

Still waiting to get home............................................
T-1h 14m and counting until her flight arrives...
T-3h 14m and counting until I arrive at MY door...

Remind me next year that I hate traveling BEFORE I book my tix. :)

Chavous/BOFH

G

·
0 Posts
OK so we split up in Atlanta to catch our connecting flights. Mine is supposed to leave at 0820. At 0810 they announce it is going to be late. Great! I make a phone call alerting ground transport in Orlando. The plane finally arrives at about 0945.

While sitting in the Second Class Citizen Lounge (Smokers Area) a (real) stewardess comes in and was talking about all flights into FL being delayed all weekend. Something about the CAP (combat air patrols) holding up the air space. She said that her flight was held on the tarmac in Philly for almost 1.5 hours because only so may flights could be in "the zone" at a give time. Now, if my sleep deprived mind remembers correctly, the CAP flights had something to do a Colt Commander and a S&W 500 being uncovered in Daytona, or something like that.

Anywho, my 1.25 hour flights turns into an almost 2 hour flight. Needless to say by the time I make it to my ground transport I was wiped!!

Ground transport to the house was non-eventful. I get in and give Cindy her Valentine's gift (that most trick "pocket light") which she received half-heartedly. I then hand out the kids shirts (No Fear - LV for Colt & Remington, #16 - Vegas Girl for Sig & Olivia, and Vegas Hottie for Tiff). Tiff asks Cindy what she got so I go into the bedroom to get it and return and toss it to Tiff. Tiff's boyfriend then asks "What is it?" to which Tiff replies "A pocket light" which Cindy give him a "Great Gift…. NOT!!" look. Tiff's boyfriend then says, shocked "That's it?" I respond with "That is a way kewl light! Oh…. And then there is this!" as I give her her other gift - a heart bracelet.

None of the above was planned or rehearsed, hell, I couldn't have set it up. I then asked Cindy "What was that look you gave Jerry?" (she didn't realize I saw it! ) Her face turned the color of a Valentine's Day Heart! It was then off to bed to try and catch up on some sleep.

I'll be working on a "Complete - The Real Story*" SHOT report over then next few days (with a few photos) and will post it…. Stay tune.

*old SSBB members might remember these.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
currently sitting in the MAJOR TRANSPORTATION HUB known as the Augusta Regional Airport
You know, when I lived in Augusta we would sometimes arrange to fly out of Columbia to save a connection. I never knew anyone to come from Columbia to fly out of Bush Field. Augusta Regional Airport... is that what they are calling it now? Or did they build a new airport?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tim Burke said:
I never knew anyone to come from Columbia to fly out of Bush Field.
They now have a direct flight to Newark, NJ, which is where she was going. Continental runs it, but they share it w/ Delta and US Scare.

Tim Burke said:
Augusta Regional Airport... is that what they are calling it now? Or did they build a new airport?
It is still Bush Field... just they don't tell you that. One sign on the interstate will say Bush Field (namely the one on I-20) then one sign on I-520 will say "Augusta Regional," then the actual airport exit says "Bush Field" then the directional sign for after you get on the exit ramp has an arrow pointing one way and a plane pointing the other. You follow the plane, not the arrow.

Thankfully her flight came in early...

Time to crash... later guys!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Someone please remind me how much I hate Las Veags... especially their bloody airport.

Took me 2 hr. to get through security and then the plane sat for an extra hour waiting for all the other idiot passengers who didn't allow enough time. 3 hr. is just about right on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charlie Petty said:
Someone please remind me how much I hate Las Vegas... especially their bloody airport.
Someone please remind me how badly Peter Pi deserves a thorough beating the next time I see him… this year's gunwriter graft included, within a shrink-wrapped package, a pen, a notepad, and a nice little CorBon-engraved knife! That was 20 minutes out of my life with TSA this morning!

·
Registered
517 Posts
DeanSpeir said:
Someone please remind me how badly Peter Pi deserves a thorough beating the next time I see him…
I'm sure it would make Fernando's day to remind you... ;-)

Just remember to give us tickets to the fight.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, good reports from McCarren Aeropuerto, Chavous… in the finest tradition of Hunter S. Thompson… something about Las Vegas must inspire both of you. The soon-to-be-former-Mrs.-Rak and I both enjoyed them immensely.

·
Registered
517 Posts
DeanSpeir said:
BTW, good reports from McCarren Aeropuerto, Chavous… in the finest tradition of Hunter S. Thompson… something about Las Vegas must inspire both of you. The soon-to-be-former-Mrs.-Rak and I both enjoyed them immensely.
Boredom will do that to you... and cause those around you to give you the material with which to do it. I couldn't make this stuff up! ;-)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ha!

Chris Edwards from Glock and I had late Sunday night flights out of Vegas...walked up to the ticket counter, zipped through security in about 5 minutes and had time for drinks and dinner!

Most frightening thing about SHOT was that Dean S. was wearing a tie at The Outdoor Channel party!

Michael B

PS: Going out to SHOT from DIA, the TSA "gun guy" hauled all his people around the ole x-ray machine when my bag went through so they could see what a composite plastic frame looked like. I pointed out that my gun was an STI LS-9, which is steel, steel and steel. In response, he started whispering, "See? You can clearly see the plastic frame..."

·
Registered
517 Posts
MBaneACP said:
Chris Edwards from Glock and I had late Sunday night flights out of Vegas...walked up to the ticket counter, zipped through security in about 5 minutes and had time for drinks and dinner!
Yeah, see, that was the problem... SO DID WE! :) Just dinner and what not was already done!

Chavous

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's always nice to see people I like... and Dean too :)

Schmit cleans up kinda nice.

Charlie, took me 15 to check in and 45 to clear sec. But, you are much more scary than me !

Dean, Nuuuhhh Uhhh... Don't blame TSA or Peter Pi... Did YOU check what you had on you ? Hmmmm. What happened to the knife ? I saw a few "mail it home" stands.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Good point, Jules. After all, don't they always ask you if any strangers have given you anything to carry on the plane? Do you know anyone stranger than Peter Pi?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts