Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that went to Shot Show is the Industry progressing or just rehashing old stuff or copying each other?

Was there anything that made you go WOW this is new and I want one?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Re: Shot Show is the industry progressing or just rehashing

Airsoft training equipment. Here is Zach P from Gator Farm Tactical with one of their replicas.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

Airsoft? I have been SORELY tempted by one of those $140 M14 airsoft replicas that appeared a couple years ago. If I knew one would stay inside, say, 3/4" at 15 yards (the length of my basement) and penetrate common paper (target), I would HAVE to have one.

Have yet to see one in 3-D. Would LOVE to shoot one and then decide. That's a hella good price for something that shoots well, but WAY too much for a "play with it while watching TV" toy (and I can use my PolyTech for that).

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

Snake45 said:
Have yet to see one in 3-D. Would LOVE to shoot one and then decide. That's a hella good price for something that shoots well, but WAY too much for a "play with it while watching TV" toy (and I can use my PolyTech for that).
Bless you, Snake. I've been telling the wife for years that I wasn't the only guy who did that. Now I have PROOF! I feel exonerated! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

IrishCop said:
Snake45 said:
Bless you, Snake. I've been telling the wife for years that I wasn't the only guy who did that. Now I have PROOF! I feel exonerated! :thumbsup:
How do you think I've become so adept at lowering the hammer of a 1911...one-handed...with either hand? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

Good skill to have. Saves on TV replacements and roof repairs! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

I saw a couple of things that I want for stories but there was only one thing that made me say "wow". That was the reproduction of the original 1911 done by Cylinder & Slide.

It looks just like the very first 1911 and made by many of the same processes and finished the same way. Parts that were originally heat (fire) blued are done that way and are truly spectacular. The gun will sell for $5000 but the cool part is that original quality parts will also be available. Gotta have one of those fire blued triggers for an old gun I have that was "improved" by someone by putting in a two piece trigger.

If I had to come up with a concise description of the show it would be: "me too".

Perhaps the best example of that is the S&W copy of the Taurus Judge
:argh: (there used to be a "barf" icon but I couldn't find it)

But we have to keep in mind that we are consumers in an industry whose technology was "new" around WWI. To be sure we have had improvements, but the industry is evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

Charlie, Turnbull"s is offering one as a commemorative model for about a grand less. Don't know about parts availability.

'Course for a world famous gunriter... :wink:

Here's a link to his website...

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

The difference is that he is refinishing a new gun to look right whereas C&S is made from scratch.

They even have made the weird little mag catch retainer without the screw slot. Laughridge really knows the trivia about them.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

Gotcha, Charlie. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

That Kel-Tec twist on the Neostead looks kinda interesting... then again, I dream of building guns that just the mere concepts of them would drive the Brady Bunch into permanent strait-jacket-and-rubber-room territory.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I guess the polymer frame was about the last big thing to happen to the gun industry along with scandinum and titanium.

Revolvers are almost the same as you see in the old catalogs just bigger and longer and it's a shame the deep beautiful Bluing from the old days is gone.

The Daisey caseless 22 ammo and the Dardick revolver were new and ahead of their time or just crappy and fell by the wayside.

if I remember correctly Taurus used to copy S&W on old S&W machines and now S&W is copying the Taurus Judge.

This grease is better than that grease or better than so and so's oil or just use mobile 1.

After John Browning and David Marshall Williams has there been someone that has designed from scratch something new that changed the world of firearms that had not already been done? or do they just improve what's there?

I hope I have expressed myself well enough to get my question across correctly.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

"How do you think I've become so adept at lowering the hammer of a 1911...one-handed...with either hand? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:"--Snake45
Yes, but how many TVs died in the process? :p
----
"...then again, I dream of building guns that just the mere concepts of them would drive the Brady Bunch into permanent strait-jacket-and-rubber-room territory."--Diamondback
Do it! Do it! DO IT! :twisted:
----
"After John Browning and David Marshall Williams has there been someone that has designed from scratch something new that changed the world of firearms that had not already been done?"--kg5388
Gaston Glock could fit, since he made polymer work successfully with high(er)-powered ammunition. Love or hate his product, he turned the firearms world on its ear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Gaston Glock....I don't have a Glock and while I don't own one, I think it is a very capable Pistol and would not feel under protected with one.

The Glock and the Berretta don't fit my hand like my other pistols do and I have a problem with getting consistant trigger pulls since I had my stroke.

But did Gaston Glock do anything more than make a frame out of a different material? Was it more of a scare of the pistol blowing up in the shooters hand or getting through metal detectors that caused all the attention?
Colt came out with the light weight commander using a different material for the frame and S&W made the airweight J frame would that not be the same or maybe different because they used metal?

I think Charlie said it best
"But we have to keep in mind that we are consumers in an industry whose technology was "new" around WWI. To be sure we have had improvements, but the industry is evolutionary rather than revolutionary."

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

and it's a shame the deep beautiful Bluing from the old days is gone, KG

The bluining you are speaking of is not totally gone. Take a peek at a US Firearms revolver with the blue and case hardened finish. It's amazing.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

bearcat6 said:
and it's a shame the deep beautiful Bluing from the old days is gone, KG

The bluining you are speaking of is not totally gone. Take a peek at a US Firearms revolver with the blue and case hardened finish. It's amazing.
A big +1 on that, Bearcat. And there are seveal other shops that specialize in high quality re-finishing.

It's just really sad that the major manufacturers (S&W, Colt, etc) don't offer that kind of finish on at least some of their products. Of course, they would charge extra for it. But they charge extra for laser grips and other options on handguns. I personally would pay more for a finely finished handgun; I did for my USFA premium - about $200 more.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Kg, I note that in my eagerness to say something, I missed that you had already brought up polymers. :oops:
Given that "plastic" was new, and considered totally unsuitable for a CF firearm until Glock did his thing, I would count him as revolutionary. The potential of Al and the other lightweight alloys was known for a long time. A "plastic" gun in something besides a .22??? A real laugher, until Glock did it. 8)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts

The secret to that lovely old blue was the polishing done before blue. Back in the day the polishers were the highest paid workers in the S&W plant and it was a joy to watch them work. Sadly most consumers are not willing to pay the extra that would cost.

I agree that the USFA single-actions are close to works of art

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Was watching the History of the M16 and it fits in the new from scratch section also.

From wood and steel to aluminum and plastic with a new design different from any other rifle.

I think the M16/ar15 has more options and more clones than any other firearm out there.

Does any other firearm in history have as many different manufacturers at one time?
Such as WW2 with the 1911 or the M1 Garand ?

Wonder if in 20-30 years we will trying to build M16/Ar15 with all correct parts?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

I know this isn't the 'High-Priced Spread' but I have been trying to find out more about the 6" RIA Railgun with the Bomar-style sight. Based on what I've gotten from my RIAs it's got to be a very accurate pistol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts