Gunhub.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you tried loading and shooting the Sierra 110gr hp out of your M1A's ? Any problems with the feeding out of the mag??

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've loaded the 110gr fmj for the carbine in 308 cases for my M1A. I used surplus 4895 and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
one or 2 of the guys that shoot my HP matches use the Speer 120 HP's with no problems..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have my first garand on the way from the CMP and have been reading up on the reloading particulars for this weapon . Does anyone know what the actual pressure is supposed to be at the port to prevent OP rod damage ? I ask this because if I run a proven " Garand safe load " through my QuickLOAD program I can adjust different load combinations to match that pressure curve and the pressure at the port . Example , if the port pressure is supposed to be 12,000 psi and the port is at 18" ( I'm not sure of this 18" as I don't have the gun in my hand to measure where it actually is ) I can adjust the pressure curve to match . ______________

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ran some calculations and a load of 46 gr IMR4895 , under a Sierra 150 gr MK #2190 , OAL of 3.250 , est. vel. 2433 fps , gives a pressure of 17,238 at 14 " in the barrel . 46 gr of IMR under a 168 gr Sierra MK#2200 , OAL 3.285,est. vel of 2412 fps , gives 17,652 at 14" . This would lead me to believe that a load of 39 gr of H4227 under a 110 gr Sierra HP # 2110 , OAL of 3.100, est. vel of 2798 fps and only 15,166 psi at 14" should be safe to shoot in the old Garand without fear of OP rod damage . Here is one I think I'm going to load . 42gr of H4198 ,Sierra 110 gr HP , OAL of 3.100 , est vel . of 2702 , pressure at 14" is 15,580 . Maybe start with a couple rnd's at 40 or 41 just to see what the cases look like . Then go to 42 or 43 .

·
Registered
700 Posts
I shoot speer 125 TNT's every so often in my garands for the short line stuff. Its a good bullet!

Caveman - nice to see someone else who uses QL. Do you use the Optimum Barrel Length calculations too - I can't get those 2 to jibe on a gas gun (garand or M14) :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't found anything like that yet . Just change the barrel length on the cartridge dimension window accordingly . This thing does more sh&* than I can ever use hahah . Great program .

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Don't think I'd use H4227 in a Garand. It's a magnum pistol and small case capacity rifle(like .30 Carbine) powder. Too fast for the '.06. Hodgdon doesn't list it as a .30-06 powder either. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/30-06.php
Stick with IMR4895, H4895 or IMR4064 with 180 grain or less bullets. Get a manual and follow it religiously. You're getting over complicated with your QuickLOAD program.
Begin with the 'Starting load', load 8 rounds(normally it's 5, but it's easier to just use clips to keep them separate and keep a record of what load is in which clip) then go up by half a grain, loading 8 of each, until you get to the max load. Then go shooting. Shoot slowly and for group only. Allow time between clips for the barrel to cool. When you find the load that shoots best out of your rifle, you're done. If you change any component, you must start over.
Mind you, in 30 some years of shooting, I've never seen or heard of anyone damaging an op rod by using heavier bullets. I never heard of this until I saw it on the 'net. The 220 grain Silvertips I used long ago didn't bother my rifle. Not a steady diet of 'em, but they did not bother my op rod.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have used IMR-4227 in the Garand served under 147 FMJBT M-80 ball. It wouldn't cycle in Semi or even move the bolt a hair at max charge in the Lee Manual, what ever it was.

Got a question that might be interesting. Will the Mil pulled 110 gr FMJ for the 30 Carbine work Safely in the Garand and Cycle in Semi-Auto useing IMR-4895? Also what is the min load for the Garand with 147 gr FMJBT served with IMR-4895 will Cycle in Semi?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might try H4198 . It's in between 4227 and 4895 . I would suspect the 4227 is peeking suddenly and dropping off too fast by the time it gets to the port . The 4198 being a bit slower would keep more pressure longer and should cycle . As for the carbine bullets , I don't know . Why don't you load some up and let us know . : )

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well looks like my standard M1A dont like to feed the 110gr hp's, about one out of 5 or six will jam into the Ramp area? of the barrel. Wanted to use this load for varmit hunting, OAL was set per the Sierra loading manual at 2.60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts