Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
:censored:

Okay....if you watch it long enough it's revealed to be fake, a effect achieved through traveling matte composite technology.
OK, mark me down as a soft-hearted wimpy tree-hugging animal lover. I don't care. That video put my heart in my throat.
Yeah. I love cats. So sue me; it MUST be a crime.
The company that made the video got a lot of complaints....I suppose some of them sound like something I might say. So I guess I'll just "own" it.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
TommyGunn,

LOOKS PHONY to me. and YEP, my family are all cat-lovers & feral cat-feeders.

Oddly enough, even if it was TRUE, rather than "computer-generated", most of the cats would have been UNHURT. = See the book, ALL OF MY PATIENTS ARE UNDER THE BED, by the late Dr Louis J Camuti, DVM for an explanation of WHY that is.
(It's called the SKYSCRAPER EFFECT = Believe it or not, the FARTHER a cat falls from a high balcony/roof the LESS likely that a cat is to be INJURED! - the EXACT reason for that phenomena is UNKNOWN but Cats which jump or fall from more than 20 stories are SELDOM injured, from their "flight".)

BTW, the book is a "HOOT".- Sandra, Noemi & I all laughed our way through the book!
(An article in CATS magazine of some years ago by Dr Camuti tells of "The Case of the Mysterious Disappearing Cat". It turns out that a large Siamese had figured out how to open a LOCKED briefcase & get inside to "get away from the excitement" in the home. - The couple, who were OWNED BY the Siamese, were getting a divorce & constantly engaged in SCREAMING MATCHES & routinely THREW OBJECTS at each other. The cat was SMART enough NOT to "participate in" those "fun & games".
(BTW, Noemi reminded me to tell everyone that: NOBODY actually OWNS a cat. Instead we are OWNED BY them!)

yours, sw

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
stand watie said:
Oddly enough, even if it was TRUE, rather than "computer-generated", most of the cats would have been UNHURT. = See the book, ALL OF MY PATIENTS ARE UNDER THE BED, by the late Dr Louis J Camuti, DVM for an explanation of WHY that is.
(It's called the SKYSCRAPER EFFECT = Believe it or not, the FARTHER a cat falls from a high balcony/roof the LESS likely that a cat is to be INJURED! - the EXACT reason for that phenomena is UNKNOWN but Cats which jump or fall from more than 20 stories are SELDOM injured, from their "flight".)
Actually, since you mention that, I do recall reading an article that supports what you say. It was exactly that--cats living in tall apartment buildings. Cats that fell from a few stories high died or were horribly maimed while the cats that fell from real high apartments survived. Bizarre.
I would NOT want to test the effect -- even though it seems to be true from your experience & mine from what's been printed.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The theory according to something years back on the Discovery channel, was if the cat stabilized at terminal velocity, set itself up for maximum air resistance and landed in the optimized survival configuration, the cat had a better chance of survival. Injuries still happened.
Geoff
Whose cat is elderly and doesn't jump much any more, nor explore the tops of the bookcases.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See the book, ALL OF MY PATIENTS ARE UNDER THE BED, by the late Dr Louis J Camuti, DVM
I read that book decades ago. Camuti was among the few vets who made housecalls. The cats somehow knew he was coming and were always hiding under the bed.

I never for a moment believed the video was real. It was the thought of skydiving cats that gave me a case of the giggles. What next? Base jumping cats.

Here's a video of cats on the vomit comet.
Weightlessness on the Vomit Comet - YouTube

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I am not really sure I'd want to be in a vomit comet zero g test with animals that have long sharp claws and pointy teeth.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

But the cats seem to survive the effects A-OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts