Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now every knows I'm all Flash and Glory, but next to my (imaginary when I win the Lotto) early 70 Vega Station Wagon with a mid-engine LPE small block 427 this has to be the ultimate Sleeper car!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Now that is just sick and wrong. That's like something I'd do.

I like it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to do this, guys, but it's only a 4 cylinder. That's it. If you gotta have a roof, doors, and 4 wheels, go for a V-8. Do you want to be seen in a car that goes "blahahahahahahatt" or "Vrooom" like a mans car?
Now, a nice '68 Barracuda fastback with suspension work and a built 340/360- now that's a real car.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You don't get the concept of Power to Weight ratios do you?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, I do. Absolutely. That's why most of the time I'm out on my Triumph Daytona. 150hp and 423 pounds. It will supposedly loft the front wheel easily in every gear. Not my kind of thing, as I don't heal as well as I used to, but it's great fun. It makes my supercharged '97 Mustang seem very slow.

By the way, Ogre- best of luck with your Bronco project.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Schmit said:
OK, now every knows I'm all Flash and Glory, but next to my (imaginary when I win the Lotto) early 70 Vega Station Wagon with a mid-engine LPE small block 427 this has to be the ultimate
Schmit, several years ago, a friend of mine who is a machinist for the University of Delaware did almost that. He put a 350 in a vega, using corviar rear springs for the front and a Vette suspension for the back. When he was done with it it looked like a mini Z28 and was Hell on tires. All he had to do was let it idle and it would attract the curious. "Man what you got in that thing?" He sold it and did an even nicer job on an old Sedan Delivery.

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It would be tough putting a 302 into a Cooper Mini.

But you could do it.

I put a Caddy V8 into a Honda CVCC. (behind the driver's seat).

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a friend from high school who put a 350ci. in a pontiac fierro :shock: I knew that it could be done but wow! I also seen a 351windsor in a late 80's ford ranger too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
icormba,
I have no idea how he did it, all I remember is in 10th grade he bought the car and started talking about putting the 350 in because his dad did the same thing a few years before that and by my senior year he had it in. He put the 350 in the front of the car and then ran the battery and radiator in the back with 2 electric fans, I don't remember how he pumped the coolent up to the motor, I don't even think that he had a heater core hooked up to it, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the best example i saw of that kind of conversion was a friend of my dad had a short boxS-10 with a 454 in the damn thing! holy crap would that thing go! it had all reinforced front spension, it was a street rod rig, and althought i would never do that to my s-10, (i love 454's, but i like them in K20 and K30's) a 305 would be nice...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ok, you'll love this one. It's the ultimate straight line getto sleeper. Get a late 80's dodge colt 4 door wagon. A late model 4 wheel drive ram 50 and the engine from a turbocharged eagle talon. The motor from the talon with a little work will make 250 horse at the wheels, combined with the 4 wheel drive from the truck and it will actually all fit in the colt chassis. You end up with a 250 horse all wheel drive colt wagon with a cruddy paint job that will eat almost anything for breakfast. A buddy of mine is building this thing and hopes to have it roadworthy by spring. :roll: :shock:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Or you could just find a used Eagle Talon TSi which was already all wheel drive. That way you can also use the Talon's better suspension components as well. That would take that old Colt and and really make it move... not just in a straight line either.

Saw something similar at an SCCA Rallycross meet out in VA a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My buddy was originally going to do that but he ran into problems with the viscous coupling setup that the talon uses. The colt wagon and pickuptruck both use a solid rear axle design that makes the swap easier. The second issue is the viscous coupling itself, the talon had a tendancy to blow these things up with a stock motor let alone one that has an extra 50 horse. He figured the standard tranfer case that the truck has would be a more durable unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts