Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was cranking 45's out of my lil' blue reloading machine and suddenly something wasn't right. STOP! The feeling told me that the primer wasn't seating. It happens mostly when the machine fails to decap the case, but this time it was something else. When I got the case out of the priming station, to my surprise, what I had was a case with 45acp dimensions but with a SMALL PRIMER POCKET.

Headstamp reads: WIN NT 45 AUTO. This is a first one for me. I thought the only small primed 45 auto case was the GAP.

Any info on this? Mr. Petty?

Thanx in advance,
Nemo

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
You have a cartridge case from their line of "non-toxic" ammo. They used a lead-free small pistol primer instead of the large pistol primer.

Charlie can fill you in on the details as to why they did that.

Lead-free primers have been a curse to the industry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dammit!

Gracias Fernando,

Guess I'll have to inspect all my brass before trying to stuff it in the machine! :x

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Fernando is right. Both Federal and Winchester have gone to a small pistol primer for their non toxic .45 ACP ammo.

Both companies also advise against reloading the brass. My experience is that it is much more trouble than it's worth for primer pockets have to be reamed and loading data is not interchangeable.

I agree with the advice to not reload not for safety as much as it's a PITA. Better, I think, to inspect the cases first and chuck any with small primers.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
And then there was…

…Hansen & Hansen back in the mid-to-late '80s who were, not of their own choosing, it was stressed to me, importing a whole slew of centerfire rounds from what was then Yugoslavia (their rimfire rounds originated in Portugal) where their .45 ACP rounds all had small primers… Gawd but they looked weird!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Lordy what a memory...

The problem there was that the manufacturer didn't know they were supposed to be large. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts