Gunhub.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smith and Wesson has initiated a "recall" of the Performance Center Model 329's that were Distributed through Lew Horton Distributing of Westboro MA.

There were two models produced (a PD style with black finish and a stainless finish). The problem with the gun stems from the fact that they mated a one piece stainless barrel onto the Scandium Frame and they had to torque the barrel into the frame -- they say there is a chance that the barrel may go flying down range if it had been over torqued.

NOTE: This recall does not affect the standard 329 guns that had a two piece sleeved barrel.

I know about this because I got a call about my serial #77 in both guns --- I declined to send them back because their solution to the recall is to send a PC tuned 329 w/the sleeved barrel and without the special serial number.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
The Smith & Wesson Automatic Barrel Swap System.

Remove your barrel with no tools! Simply fire a cylinder full of ammo and on the last round, poof! Barrel is gone.

For a new barrel, simply send the revolver back to S&W with proof of purchase. The revolver will be returned with a new barrel within 4 to 6 weeks.

:wink:

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fernando Coelho said:
The Smith & Wesson Automatic Barrel Swap System.

Remove your barrel with no tools! Simply fire a cylinder full of ammo and on the last round, poof! Barrel is gone.

For a new barrel, simply send the revolver back to S&W with proof of purchase. The revolver will be returned with a new barrel within 4 to 6 weeks.

:wink:
Wish it twere that simple --- If you blow your barrel off, and send it back, you would receive a replacement 329 PC without the one piece barrel. I would be interested to know how many of the low serial number gun owners have refused (like I did) to send their gun back. The woman from S&W said she was sending me out a warning letter to put in the gun box so if I ever sell my #77 collection, the new owner would know of the barrel concerns.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mike
just me bein nosey, but why take the chance like that?
is some number on the gun worth risking your life over?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
If the only reason he has it is because of the Serial Number, it seems like a simple matter not to shoot it.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
I don't think Mike shoots any of his "77" guns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Barrel No Barrel what the hay,, go ahead A N D Shoot them
I know your in love with the 77's but Sometimes you do what you gotta Do...Ha.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim Burke said:
If the only reason he has it is because of the Serial Number, it seems like a simple matter not to shoot it.
csmkersh said:
I don't think Mike shoots any of his "77" guns.
Actually, I have shot one of my #77's, a S&W "Shorty Forty" that I carried for a year or so.

And, my reasoning for not returning the gun are:

1) I do not plan on shooting it. I have plenty of other guns I could fire before needing that one. I think that keeping the guns in 100% NIB makes the collection of #77's that much more valuable

2) The recall is not because they HAD any failures as of yet, it is that they believe (because of problems with another gun with a scandium frame and 1 piece barrel) that there is a chance that some guns may have been over torqued, so to be on the safe side, they initiated the recall.

3) By keeping a gun that has been recalled, that makes the limited number on the street even lower, which in turn makes it a tad more valuable as a "collectible"

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda long story, but I will give short version --

#77 is my lucky number. Around here, "elimination drawings"(reverse raffle) are very popular. About 20 years ago I won a drawing with ticket #77 (if 7 is lucky, then 77 is "double luck"). Since that first win, I have won other drawings with #77. I adopted it as MY number of choice.

When I built my house, I had to build a road to the house, and of course I chose #77 as my house number (77 Georgian Manor).

When I got my FFL and started serious collecting, I got hooked up with Lew Horton's and put in a standing order for any serialized gun with serial #77. I have my salesperson at every distributor I deal with on notice that any special editions that are serialized, I would like number 77 -- I have not recently counted exactly how many firearms I have with #77 but I know they fill 3 shelving units in my vault.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Cool! I was hoping you weren't going to say "that was the year I was born!" :eek:

Ed

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SpecialEd said:
Cool! I was hoping you weren't going to say "that was the year I was born!" :eek:

Ed
TSK TSK TSK Ed,

You have read in other threads where I have mentioned things that I remember from the 1960's like Black & White TV etc...
I was born in 1961

1 - 12 of 12 Posts