Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's no joke. I have two friends working in Springfield Illinois and haven't heard from them in awhile. These deep freezes can be lethal to the unprepared.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
or a walk in the park for CANADIANS-take a look at nova scotia , Ontario. or newfoundland weather sometime for snow dumps, or Saskatchewan or alberta for cold and wind- I say phfft and grow some- tonite we're down to -12- 21 wcf- wind chill- and let's not forget about Thompson Manitoba- it gets to be -60 up there- and lord knows the wind-we don't plug our cars in until it hits-15

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Personally, after moving about a foot of it from my driveway, I've had about enough for this year.

On the upside, it got up to about 50F today, so not so bad.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Here in Western Oregon the daffodills are blooming and it was 65 the other day. We usually have rain this time of year but it's been bright and sunny.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To All,

I talked to my "sister of the heart" today who lives in damnyankeeland & Eva has about 11 FEET of snow in her back yard. The high temp today was 6 degrees F.
BRRRRRRRRRR.

Fwiw, she sang me a few lines of DIXIE, focusing on "I wish I was in DIXIE-----" & then said, "IF I could get to San Antonio by plane, I'd BE right on down."

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in Union County, NC the kids are enjoying their fourth "snow day" of the year. Our total frozen precipitation to date? One inch, spread over three storms.

The problem, of course, is that there is almost no equipment to treat the roads, so even a dusting means they don't want to risk running the school buses. Generally the winter here starts about New Year's Day, and the first flowering trees pop shorty after Valentines Day. It actually reminds me of the way King Arthur describes Camelot:

A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.

Except for July and August getting a little toasty, and summer lingering 'til Halloween, that about describes it. We shoot twelve months.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
"I know it sounds a bit bizarre."

Grew up listening to that - and singing it.

My sister was into show tunes.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
i'm beginning to think we should change our national athem from "O CANADA " to "the immigrant song" from led zeppelin- look at the lyrics:.
we come from the land if ice and snow,something about cold winds blow, etc- we got whole colonies of Norwegians between the lakes in Manitoba- and they don't speeka de englishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts