Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let's hear it guys; who loves their snubbie?

Over the years I have owned some truly outstanding compact autos (believe it or not, there is such a thing). Walther PPK's, my current favorite the Astra 3000, Mauser HSc…I could go on and on. But I always come back to the snub nosed revolver; every time. They're perhaps the hardest handgun to learn to shoot, but they are light, compact and extremely good for what they were made for.

And a .22 snub gun is an outstanding training tool; if you can hit with a snub, you can hit with anything.

If we were ever told we had to turn in all of our guns or go to prison, one of my snubbies would very hard to part with.

And then there's the chance to look like Frank Drebin

What about everyone else??

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I must agree...

My all day- every day- gun is a J frame although for purely scientific reasons there is a S&W 380 in the other pocket

Sometimes it's hard to cut through the bravado or BS but among people who really are serious gun toters I bet we'd find a bunch of Js...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Sometimes it's hard to cut through the bravado or BS but among people who really are serious gun toters I bet we'd find a bunch of Js...
David Blinder, an Atlanta-based instructor, once said most of us talk about .45s, shoot 9mms, but carry .38s.

I keep reading that police departments like the NYPD (and maybe the FBI) that do not authorize revolvers for off-duty or back-up carrying. Instead, officers must carry the issued pistol or a similar compact version. There may be some provisions grandfathering revolvers for those already carrying them.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
The only snotnosed revolver I've ever owned is a 2.5" Smith 19 Combat Magnum. Haven't shot it in years, maybe decades, but it's finally risen to the "top of the list" and is scheduled for a workout my very next range trip (possibly tomorrow).

Dunno if these qualify for you, Kevin, but I have a pair of the limited-run 3" Smith 66s. That extra half-inch of barrel makes them so superior to the 2.5" version in every way (except, of course, availability) that I consider them in a class of their own and call them "midlengths." They are closer in handling and utility to the 4" 19/66s than they are the 2.5" ones.

All the rest of my revolvers are 4" to 6.5" in length.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
S&W M340 is my all day gun. It's got some serious wear... And close to 2K of .38 Special through it. I picked up a M64 Smith (round butt, 2 inch barrel) on a whim and was very surprised at how easy it was to shoot. Not sure what the total is, but I have several 2 inch and 3 inch K frames.

Years ago I met a Killeen Texas PD Lieutenant who had a rather high body count. His all day gun was a M36 S&W and his serious gun was a M10. While everyone else in the department was carrying autochuckers of various flavors, he stuck with the 158 LSWCs as they had worked well for him. According to the locals, he shot 50 rounds every week to stay sharp.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
My one and only snubby is a mid-70's S&W model 49, the all steel one. It's beat up a little, but slips into my front pocket nice. It is sometimes the only gun I carry, especially when I'm sent on an unscheduled errand by my better half. Sometimes I just don't feel like slipping on a holster and mag pouch for my .45 (or finding a cover garment in 100 degree plus weather). A couple of speed strips loaded with 5 each and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
With me it's particularly S&W Centennials. As I type this, there's a 640-1 behind each hip and a no-dash 640 in my left, front pants pocket.

I make no claims of being the world's best marksman and I don't know that I wouldn't go to the safe for something larger if I were challenged to some sort of marksmanship test* but these are the guns that are always with me, day in, day out.

Some may enjoy the story of what drove me to spend my range time on these guns, instead of the guns that are more fun to shoot.

* The last time I recall seeing a fairly sharp front sight was the last time I was shooting my five-inch pre-Model 27. For some reason, I could see that front sight better than the one on my six-inch Python.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I only have one snubby left and my daughter has eyes on it. its a flat latch 36. I do have several 3 inch J frames and find those far easier to shoot and for me, who never pocket carries, just as easy to holster up and carry. I have 2 .32's, one a Square butt with adjustable sights, and one a plain fixed sight model both in 3 inch. I also have one 36-6 full lug adjustable sights that is a great hunting gun companion, as well as a pair of regular earlier model 36's one RB the other SB. What I really want to find is a nice 34 in RB but they're really hard to find.

I found one year when work was slow that fur prices were up so I was running a trap line on the land we have in Central Mn and on a few really cold nights, the .22 I carried would not fire reliably. (beating a leg hold Coyote to death with a big stick is NOT fun) So I started carrying a single six i have in .32 H&R and discovered how useful the .32 can be. A single ought round ball over 2 grains of powder drilled a perfect hole, went off no matter how cold and killed yotes and other trapped critters just perfect.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
I do have several 3 inch J frames and find those far easier to shoot and for me, who never pocket carries, just as easy to holster up and carry.
The longer I do this, the fonder I have become of three-inch barrels on revolvers, regardless of frame size (although I still love the 3½" barrel on the M-27).

If I were setting up my carry system today, I'd carry a pair of three-inch 640's on the waist, instead of the 640-1's.

I notice that S&W has recently introduced a few 2½" J-frame models and I think they're missing the boat by not offering the three-inch barrel on more of these guns.

(I'm not certain where the limit is on calling a revolver a snubby but I'm inclined to do it at three inches.)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I've only owned two snubnoses,an abbreviated Model 15, and the 66 I had. both very fairly accurate. Although, with the K Frame-size, they're a little larger than the norm for pugs.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I tried to look at Armscor's site to see if they still make the D-frame clones, but Google told me--not once but twice--that their website might be unsafe and could damage my 'puter. I'm skeeered to click on it. :(

The idea of an inexpensive, utility-grade D-frame has a lot of appeal to me. I'd have to actually shoot one of the things before deciding to pull the trigger on a purchase of such a possibly sketchy item, though. Junk is no bargain at any price. :?

·
Registered
361 Posts
No "Snub Nosed" guns in my collection. By my definition a snubby is 2 inch or less barrel. I do have three S&Ws. Two are three inchers and one a 2.5 inch.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My wife, Jean (you know: the one I keep concealed in a burkha), has the snubbie in our family, an S&W Bodyguard. She acquits herself well with it, but sometimes she carries our Kel-Tec P3AT instead because it's easier to hide.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Mushinto;
...That US Arms belly gun (made by Iver Johnson, I believe) seems to have a much shorter barrel than standard.
It was cut down, I think. True?
It's .38 S&W caliber, I think. True?
Did it come to you in that configuration, or did you bob the barrel?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It was cut down, I think. True? True.
It's .38 S&W caliber, I think. True? Yes.
Did it come to you in that configuration, or did you bob the barrel? A friend of mine had just closed a large gun shop and I was going through his vault when I spotted it, as is. It was so ugly, I had to have it and $40 later I did. It's guaranteed to do two things; a) Keyhole a .38 bullet at five-yards and b) Win any internet "Ugliest Gun Contest." I love it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
An M49 (a REAL Bodyguard :ek: ) is my standard pocket buddy. There's also a Taurus .44Spl snub in my safe.

I've had a number of .38 snubs over the years, including Rossi and Taurus. Both were perfectly serviceable guns. I kinda miss the stainless Rossi, it would be handy for a snake gun on hot, sweaty summer days. Heck, I miss them all! :ehsmile:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Since I bought my Ruger LCR it has become my constant companion. It fits my pocket perfectly and shoots very well indeed. I know a lot of people think the LCR is ugly. but ugly is as ugly does and the LCR is beautiful to me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Mushinto said:
It was cut down, I think. True? True.
It's .38 S&W caliber, I think. True? Yes.
Did it come to you in that configuration, or did you bob the barrel? A friend of mine had just closed a large gun shop and I was going through his vault when I spotted it, as is. It was so ugly, I had to have it and $40 later I did. It's guaranteed to do two things; a) Keyhole a .38 bullet at five-yards and b) Win any internet "Ugliest Gun Contest." I love it.
I asked because I had one almost exactly like yours, and it shot exactly like yours does. Mine had a barrel about a half-inch longer, and had been cut down from (I swear) an eight-inch barrel (with the same round grip and all).
Yes, you win, yours is even uglier than mine was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts