Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there still a purpose in this community, or are we just an archive with added ads that nobody ever sees?

I mean, yeah ya gotta pay the bills somehow, but when the ads outweigh the actual content... :(

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
It means we haven't started enough flame wars and rehashed the classic disagreements.
Geoff
Who notes changes in format tend to silence the majority, at least for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
It is so very sad.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did try to open a discussion to start serious planning on a 1911 I've been doodling ideas for since before my first day here... unfortunately right now it seems like most spring manufacturers neither understand nor are interested in the particular spring needs of a .45 Super meant for EDC.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Did you try asking Wilson or Nighthawk or one of the big smiths/shops?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually went straight to Wolff and Sprinco. Since I'm building a Longslide, Sprinco went to the canned answer of "just use a single heavy spring and a longer plug," and Wolff won't even bother trying to figure a spring weight on their Longslide springs. I may have to combine the longer plug of Sprinco's reco with the longer spring of Wolff for my 7" project, but I still have concerns about frame and slide battering. Doesn't help that the only 7" I know of right now is Fusion, and even with name-checking my FFL/gunsmith who's advising me on this project they haven't replied to my email requesting suggestions.

Remember the old way-back-when discussion about the creation of .45 Super and .450 SMC? That's the cookbook I was trying to work from.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Doesn't someone make a longslide 10mm? What are they using for a spring?

Also, if you're worried about frame/slide battering, use a shock-buff. Just check it every so often to make sure it hasn't fallen apart and the crumbs are jamming up the works. That happened to my house gun--luckily I discovered it before it was a problem.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC, Wolff recommends their longer #1 for 6" 10mm's. Not sure what they'd recommend for a 7" 10mm like an AMT Javelina; I think the recoil sets Ace Custom used were proprietary to them.

Reason I'm reluctant to hit Wilson or Nighthawk is that, right or wrong, my perception is that they're more likely to go straight to "send us a check and have us build it for you" rather than wanting to help a student smith with his first pistol build. Admittedly that's only a perception, and it can easily be wrong and we won't know unless and until I reach out to them and see what they say. Back in the day Deb Else at Springfield's custom shop was very good as a mentor, but she hasn't been there for many years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts