Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: OK, so which one is best? Some people say; ‘Gas’ and others say; ‘Charcoal’. I’ve had a gas grille for, about, ten years now. It’s certainly easy to use and quick to clean; but every time we go over to my brother-in-law’s, his wife insists on using a charcoal barbeque grille. I got ‘a admit her food tastes pretty good, too. I’ve noticed that it’s a real pain to shuffle all those dirty little briquettes around; and it, also, seems to take forever for the fire to heat up; but, like I said; ‘Her food is pretty tasty!' :eek:

I think I can give my sister-in-law a pretty good, ‘run for the money’ with my gas grille; but, quite frankly, I’m an old backyard barbeque chef from; ‘way back’ and I know how to use every trick in Steven Raichlen’s outdoor grille book: Typically, I’ll use a spray bottle loaded with beer, ceramic briquettes, and water-soaked mesquite chips to improve the flavor of my gas grilled food. I understand, ‘When’ to turn my meats, too. (I watch for the top side to start bleeding and the edges to change color.) I, also, marinate most of my barbeque meats in vacuum-sealed vinaigrette bags in order to cut marinade time and improve flavor penetration. I’m not above cheating by using a kitchen timer; and I watch the cooking thermometer, too.

After last year’s grilling season I’m, just, wondering if my sister-in-law knew all of my tricks would her charcoal grilled foods taste any better than my gas grilled fare? It’s about time for us to buy a new grille; the gas models are pretty pricy; but a high-end charcoal model may be had for less than 200 bucks. So, what do you think? :cheers:

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
That’s a tough one. I’ve done more cooking on gas than wood or charcoal. The gas is by far the easiest to get started and easiest to maintain a steady cooking temperature. With a decent grill you can add wood chips for that smoked flavor. Charcoal works and does impart a different flavor to the food. The best choice of the three is wood. You can get a real good flavor with a decent wood fire. Downside it takes the longest to get started.

When I’m cooking for the immediate family the gas grill is the best option. It’s quick and easy. If we are entertaining and need to cook a bunch of stuff, then a lot of wood in a fire pit is my preferred choice. It may take longer to get started, but I’m always looking for a good excuse to light up a cigar anyway.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Arc Angel said:
:?: <SNIP>
After last year's grilling season <SNIP
Season? When is it not barbecue season? I've been known to dust a couple inches of snow off the grill.

But back to your question. I like both. Gas for convienence and charcoal for the more traditional feel and flavor. Charcoal is just very messy, especially in a wheelchair where you carry everything in your lap.

If you're in a hurry or have an especially large group to feed go for the gas. If you have no hurry and and a small group go for the Webber Kettle.

The gas grill is more convenient however for cooking foods at different temperatures at the same time.

Ed

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gas vs. charcoal? Hmmm... According to Marshall and Sanow's statistics, gas has 72% one-shot-stops as compared with charcoal's Fuller Index of . . . oops, sorry, wrong forum. I think I lapsed into "9mm vs .45" from too many years of reading the gunzines.

But seriously...

I prefer gas for most grilling. As Fernando notes, it is much easier (and quicker) to get started. As somebody who does a good deal of indirect-heat cooking on a grill (e.g., roasts, whole chickens and turkeys, etc.) the ability to regulate the temperature on a gas grill is very important to me. The use of mesquite, hickory, and other wood chips gives me the flavors I want. FWIW, I use a Weber Genesis Silver B.

I use charcoal (not briquettes, but real hardwood charcoal) and hardwood chunks in my Weber smoker. I am new to this, and so far it has not been easy keeping the wood smoking and the temperature where I want it. Hopefully with some trial and error my smoking skills will improve.

And as for "season" -- I'll second Ed's comments. I've grilled year round for the last couple of years, even making the Thanksgiving turkey, New Year's Eve steak and lobster, and an Easter roast on the grill. Rain, shine or snow -- I grill.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I used to use charcoal, but now am a gas griller all the way!! We are putting a patio enclosure on the back of our house and a new deck --- and I have my eye on one of those behemoth stainless steel gas grills at Sam's Club to replace my old gas grill.

Mike

BTW: Kingsford has a charcoal manufacturing facility near us in Parsons WV ---- have sold them steel for maintenance --- but I still use gas! <G>

G

·
Gas or Charcoal - This question is most asked, and has replaced "To be or not to be?", in the age of the Common Man.

Having researched and studied this question for approximately ¼ Century I have come to the conclusion that for BBQ, Grilling or Smoking the proper way to prepare a Jules Winnfield "Tasty Burger" (or steak, or rib, or fillet, or etc) is with Charcoal! Period!

While gas does have its place and benefits, Charcoal is what the Backyard Culinary Experts recommend. Utilizing Charcoal takes years of study to perfect, and some never achieve it, hence the reason for gas.

Gas is easier to set up, cooks faster and with less attention, and clean up is a breeze. But with the proper techniques and tools Charcoal will out perform gas any day. There are many aspects to grilling with Charcoal from getting the coals lit, through distributing coals for proper heat, attending to the meat, use of wood chips, and clean up to go into here. These secrets are normally held close to the chest and past down to from Parent to Child.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Schmit ---

How did I know what your answer would be before even looking at your reply???? For any that are not familiar --- Schmit and Fire are things that should be kept seperate if any other human being will also be present! <G>
One image that I will never forget was at Charlie Petty's house for Prodigy SSBB Gunstock 98 when Schmit was in full nomex suit -- for those who dare to see -- click HERE

Mike

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Yep, I figured Schmitt was going to tell us how to heat up a c-ration with C-4 :twisted:

Ed

G

·
Of course, Mike would only show the starting of the grill... one small detal of the overall Grand Grilling Scheme... and make no mention what so ever of the Tasty Burgers that were created.

Maybe someone else, who have tasted my Grilling, will chime in and give a big picture review of the Culinary outcome. (Fernando? RAJ?)

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Oh, the food tasted great, but you and fire still instill fear in most who know you! <VBSEG>

I seem to remember seeing a picture of you lighting off some powder during your Triton days ---- I looked up Pyromaniac in Websters -- and your picture was beside the word!!! <LOL>

Mike

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
New Avatar

Mike, is that Malcom McDowell from A Clockwork Orange?

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Ed ---

Yes -- it is ---- just found it this morning whilst browsing in the Amback Avatar files. A Clockwork Orange is one of my all time favorite films!! Tho old avatar of "Scotty" was chosen because if you took off his mustache, it resembled me -- I could be like some here online and post an actual picture of myself, but I know how much I hate looking at someone's ugly mug scowling/smirking at me everytime I look at their posts -- and I did not want to subject anyone to looking at my pic!! <G>

Mike

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I don't mind real pictures (I like seeing what people look like) but a simple smile would definitely help!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Not much difference from the real me, We both eat too much. But my facial hair is getting more salt than pepper these days.

Oh Yeah, Tucker has a nicer smile too.

Ed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D Grilling food over a wood fire? I don't think I'm that smart! Besides, it brings back too many bad memories from those weekend trips with the Boy Scouts when I was young. (Childhood trauma is soo &#8230; hard to forget!) Cooking over wood sounds intriguing; but, I still have visions of all those: burned marshmallows; blackened, half-cooked hot dogs, cold nights; and badly singed sleeping bags. (You know, the ones with the foot-sack burned out of them.)

Last year I, almost, got one of the guys at our local gun club to build me a rotating spit out of an angle iron frame, half of a 55 gallon drum, masonry wire, and an old electric motor; but, he backed out of the project at the last moment - Oh, well! During the, (Ahh humm) 'season' our butcher, often, has suckling pigs in the case; and I keep thinking how great one of these things would be on a rotating spit. Now, THIS would have to be the perfect subject for Fernando's wood fire!

Truth is that I've been experimenting with charcoal for awhile, now. Our gas grille is on its last legs; and, after last summer at my brother-in-law's parties, I am starting to get tired of the taste of gas-grilled food. Problem is that my wife (Who thinks her first husband might have been Schmitt; although, she's not quite sure because of the hood.) is very leery of, both, charcoal grilles and guys who wear hoods. Seems that some fellow she used to teach with, once, squirted some lighter fluid onto a slow burning charcoal fire with disastrous results. The fire followed the stream of lighter fluid back to the can; and it went off like, 'napalm in Nam'. Well, to make a long story short, I told her not to worry; that this was a freak accident and would, probably, never happen again. (Wrong!)

So here I am, two years ago, the charcoal isn't really burning; and I give it a good squirt from the can. To my astonishment the flame suddenly reignites and starts following the stream back toward my hand! It was surrealistic! Everything suddenly became real quiet. Things seemed to be moving in slow motion; and, in true, 'slo-mo', before the flame reached me I tossed the can away and ducked behind a large tree. KaBoom! (Not Glock this time.) The orange flash quickly dissipated; I was shaken, but, unharmed; and, for a brief moment, I thought I was out of the woods. (If you're counting this would be two Wrongs!)

My wife came to the backdoor to ask; 'Did I hear something?' 'No!' I replied. 'What's burning?' quickly followed. 'Oh, just, some grease splatter.' I answered as I patted out my burning pant leg. She gave me one of her famous, 'suspicious' looks, and asked; 'You're not squirting lighter fluid on those coals - are you!' 'Of course not!' I replied. 'Do I look like I'm stupid or something!' :shock:

So the question, still, begs to be answered: Which is better, gas or charcoal? Personally I DO suspect that food tastes better over charcoal; (Or, maybe, even over wood as Fernando has pointed out.) but, for impatient people who suffer from suicidal, 'fireball syndrome' like: me, Schmitt, and Duncan, (You remember, the Major in, 'Last of the Mohicans'.) gas grilling - while it might not be quite as tasty - still appears to be a whole lot safer than charcoal. I mean, after all, in spite of how much your in-laws might enjoy an appetizer, gas grilling can save YOU from being, 'steak tartar' - right!

:hypercolor: Maybe this is the answer:

http://www.bigjim.freeservers.com/smokers.html

Or, perhaps, this:

http://www.webergrills.com/products/performer.htm

And, only, $425.00 at our local Ace Hardware. :thumbsup: (I, just, love it when somebody goes to all the trouble of naming a hardware store after me!)

G

·
Seems that some fellow she used to teach with, once, squirted some lighter fluid onto a slow burning charcoal fire with disastrous results. The fire followed the stream of lighter fluid back to the can; and it went off like, 'napalm in Nam'. Well, to make a long story short, I told her not to worry; that this was a freak accident and would, probably, never happen again. (Wrong!)
Aaaaa Ya see... there is a trick to squirting lighter fluid onto slow burning charcoal to get it flamed up again w/o causing a small maltoff explosion. I demonstrated this on Charlie's porch at the First NC Gunstock he held (and the reason I'm out in the front yard with the grill for the second).

I will eventually pass this on to my son... along with all my Nomex gear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great debate here guys. This one will probably go on until charcoal can't be bought anymore cuz some pc chick and her dogooder pals figured out it was dangerous (they are starting to hype on its 'carcinogenic' qualities already... :roll: ).

I use a Weber Genises gas grill in the backyard deck as I cook on the grill like three four times a week (I'm a big red meat guy - I'm going to die of clogged arteries anyway.... :shock: ). Works for me just fine and I can still manage the tool while in a tequila fog..... :? ) (My body is allergic to icepicks and flames.... :D )

But I use a Coleman charcoal grill boat camping, and it does make the meat taste better IMHO. Or maybe it is just that outdoors food thing. I dunno. Where did I leave my drink?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts