Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a friend, far away…
So we are up in the mountains at about 0100 hrs looking for a bad guy that we thought was in the area. Here are ten of us, pitch black, crystal clear night, about 25 degrees. We know there are bad guys in the area, a few shots have been fired but no big deal. We decide that we need air cover and the only thing in the area is a solo B-1 bomber. He flies around at about 20,000 feet and tells us there is nothing in the area. He then asks if we would like a low level show of force.

Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes.

The controller who is attached to the team then is heard talking to the pilot. Pilot asks if we want it subsonic or supersonic.

Very stupid question.

Pilot advises he is twenty miles out and stand by. The controller gets us all sitting down in a line and points out the proper location. You have to picture this. Pitch black, ten killers sitting down, dead quiet and overlooking this about 30 mile long valley.

All of a sudden, way out (below our level) you see a set of four 200' white flames coming at us. The controller says, "Ahhh-- guys-- you might want to plug your ears." Faster than you can ever think, a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our heads, blasts the sound barrier and it feels like God just hit you in the head with a hammer. He then stands it straight up with 4 white trails of flame coming out and disappears.

Cost of fuel for that disolay: Probably $50,000

Hearing damage: For certain

Bunch of ******** thinking twice about shooting at us: Priceless

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Goodness gracious, it's been either 40 or 42 years since I heard my last sonic boom, and that from an F86 Super Sabre (I think.) What I wouldn't give to hear one again, especially from something THAT big.

One cannot help but wonder about the color and dryness of the pants worn by the bad guys after that little display...

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
Goodness gracious, it's been either 40 or 42 years since I heard my last sonic boom, and that from an F86 Super Sabre (I think.) ...
F-86 Sabre

F-100 Super Sabre

Ed

·
Registered
183 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!

That may not cause an impression on the aliens from "Independence Day" but surely had the camel-riding terrorists thinking more than twice on how brave they were feeling that night!

Isn't it the coolest to be on the side with the best toys?

Nemo

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
Thanks, Ed. I get confused sometimes on those two.....and I was only 6 or 8.
I'm a couple years younger but I was a fanatic about fighter planes when I was a kid. 8)

The Sabres and some MIG's were involved in the first "all jet" dogfights over Korea.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those who've had the opportunity to visit the Great Pine Barrens Range know that it's situated on the perimeter of a large WW II-era aerodrome which was re-mobilized during the Korean Conflict (which is what it was deemed at the time).

What was flown there in the early-to-mid '50s were, first, the F80 "Shooting Stars" followed by the Sabre jets, ultimately the F86D (fittingly yclept "Sabre Dogs") until the interceptor squadron transitioned to the F94s.

End of the month was always an exciting time back then, because the pilots who traditionally spent the first 27-28 days flying a barstool at the nearby Skyway Lounge and trying to mate with our women, needed to play catch-up to get in their required flying time. Those two-to-three days were always rich with the roar of the jet engines and the D-class after-burners virtually on a 24-hour basis.

And here's the rub: many of the lads in the flight suits had absolutely no compunctions about pushing the Mach barriers… you gotta remember that this was all still something of a novelty then as Yeager had only first hit that level in October '47.

What was especially disconcerting to this adolescent lad was that when I was almost shaken out of bed by a big window-rattling BOOM circa 0700-0800 hours, I never was certain what caused it 'til I'd raced downstairs and checked the kitchen to see if my dear ol' granny was sitting with her back against the washing machine, a dazed look on her face, singed eyebrows and her dentures on the linoleum. (If that was the case I'd have to remind her: "Nana… first the match, then the oven knob, okay?!?")

But that, happliy, while always a possibility, was more often than not w-a-a-a-a-y secondary to the flyboys forrays into transonics.

50-55 years ago, thanks in part to my wonderful WWII Aircraft Spotters Handbook, I knew every flying machine in the immediate universe. But that period is over, and I don't know diddley no mo', and haven't been all that interested. But about 13-14 years back, one Sunday afternoon on the range, one of the crew came back from the flight line gedunk and reported that there was a B1 about to depart, and that he'd been talking with the pilot who was going to give us a special "goodbye" overflight.

I wasn't impressed, or really even all that interested, 'til it happened… and then I was awe-struck! It was a thing of beauty, and while it didn't break any sound barriers, when it went from "idle" to "pedal-to-the-metal," I might just as well have been hit with a sonic BOOM! It w-a-s awesome in extremis. Haven't been that impressed, and humbled, since I saw my first John Holmes film!

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Shock & Awe

Even in these days of the supersonic jets, my most awesome memory having to with planes was when I was at a local airshow as a kid and some guys (Confederate Airforce maybe?) did a VERY LOW flyover in two P-F1D Mustangs. Those props sure could make some noise and a rumble when you were close enough and they were "hitin it."

Ed

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
My most favoritest aircraft close encounter came about 10 years ago during a show at NAS Norfolk. A pair of F-15 Strike Eagles executed hammerheads which ended with them diving straight on my position. A humbling and puckering experience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Several favorite aircraft moments for me...the AV-8B Harrier taking off the the flight deck and flying right over my head (no I was not on a carrier...it was an LPD) on my '99 deployment...The Blue Angels whenever they came to Miramar (my Navy Housing was just south of Miramar)...but my all-time fave happened just a few weeks ago right here at NAS JRB Ft. Worth...the Lockheed F-16 facility is on the other side of the base, and we share the runway with them. I was out doing morning checks to get the field open, but was told by the tower to "hold short" before entering the runway...I didn't know why...until I looked down the far end. There was a ferry flight of 10 brand-new F-16's leaving the factory...full afterburner for takeoff...about an hour before dawn...and they rotated airborne no more than 50 ft in front of my van...talk about the Sound of Freedom!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's the best part of being at a Joint base...I think I've seen almost every aircraft in the military inventory here...for a Wing Nut like me, it's like a junkie with an endless supply!

Dave

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Summer of '75, I was lucky enough to be able to see Bob Hoover do his thing in his P51. It was canary yellow with the black North American Rockwell logo on the tail. The most impressive stunt to me was when he did an 8 point roll at 50 feet off the taxiway. Straight as a laser beam, with each point hit and locked in for one second, then on to the next...awesome.
He also got an Aero Commander ariborne in less than 300 feet. The man must have had ice water instead of blood....

·
Registered
973 Posts
At an air show in Knoxville, Tennessee, about four years ago, a B-1 made a low level pass at a "high subsonic" speed, setting off car alarms throughout the parking lot.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
At this years Toyota Gotor Bowl in Jacksonville FL the Navy had a flyover with four F16's and a F18. They could not have been more than a thousand feet over the field. There was not much advance warning, so I did not have time to cover Jared's ears --- and he almost crapped his pants when the sonic boom rattled the stadium. All kidding aside, he was still shaking at the end of the first quarter :( Needless to say, it did not do alot of good for my tinnitis either :shock:

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts