Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched Sons of Guns and they made a kill stick for alligators. A basic 410 shotgun zip gun.

Would this not fall into the illegal category for zipguns or a shotgun with too short of a barrel

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
KG5388,

actually, if it is a "fairly typical bang-stick" it is perfectly lawful. - in point of fact, several commercial diver supply companies sell them to kill sharks/swordfish/etc.

i know that the rulings of BATFE (aka, the jackbooted thugs) doesn't make sense but they are part of the government & much in the government makes NO commonsense. - that's why i am & have been almost since the beginning a TEA PARTY member/coordinator.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I expect the hairsplitting difference is in the designers intent. The bang stick requires that you ram the device into the target to fire it. Kinda like the various powder actuated systems used to install various fasteners.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
WilliamR.Moore; all,

imVho, (and as a retired LEO) the REAL ANSWER is that the BATFE is staffed largely by FOOLS, anti-gun IDIOTS/bigots & DUNCES. = the WHOLE [email protected]#$%^& agency should be DEFUNDED, ABOLISHED at the 1st available date & replaced with NOTHING!

yours, sw

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
without being marketed as a pistol as there is no grip but it has a crude trigger but no stock would this not fall under a shotgun? It has no stock and a short barrel would this not fall under the minimum length for a shotgun?

why not just use a 410 shotgun or a Taurus judge with a good grip and more than one shot?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm not sure that I would trust a Taurus "Judge" to three-hole-punch typing paper, much less to kill alligators.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Many years ago we used bang heads on stuff while diving. Some work better than others. Those that work with a fixed firing pin and a sliding chamber, not so good. Those that had the trigger be the sleeve around the barrel much better.

Because of the contact nature of the shot, all of the powder gases enter the fish. I believe this does just as much damage as the pellets. To the point that I'd consider making one simply charged with about twenty cubic feet of air compressed to 3000 psi like a dive tank. Jab a big needle in and then hit the trigger and fill them full of air.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'd consider making one simply charged with about twenty cubic feet of air compressed to 3000 psi like a dive tank. Jab a big needle in and then hit the trigger and fill them full of air.
From my diving days, I vaguely remember someone with just such a device. It was commercially produced.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Charlie Petty et.al.,

fyi, "regular firearms" don't work very well under water, especially at deeper dive distances.

fwiw, the IDIOTS/thugs of BATFE don't seem to care about "shark-killers" for UNDERWATER use, provided that the devices are NOT "concealable".

my "homebrew shark-gun" (of 40+ years ago) was single-shot & 12guage. - it worked well. = it "took the starch out of" LARGE sharks IMMEDIATELY upon firing & had an 8' "handle" to keep my frail body away from sharp teeth/fins/tail-whips.
(fyi, one end of a large shark is about as deadly as the other! = fwiw, i was "tossed about" painfully by a >10'/500+ pound blacktip in 1972 & i've NOT forgotten the bruises, scrapes & PAIN that being "tossed into the transom" got me.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stand watie said:
Charlie Petty et.al.,

fyi, "regular firearms" don't work very well under water, especially at deeper dive distances.

fwiw, the IDIOTS/thugs of BATFE don't seem to care about "shark-killers" for UNDERWATER use, provided that the devices are NOT "concealable".

yours, sw
This was not for underwater use it is for pulling an alligator up and dispatching it or if one suddenly woke up in the boat and decided to eat everyone.
It was about a foot long and they even had a kydex holster for it.

I watched Swamp People last night and they just used rusty old 22 rifles to kill the gators.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a Remington Flare Gun,12 ga,that was just about identical to their bang stick.
It was in the early 70s when I had it,but it looked new at the time.

tc

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I kind of wondered why they didn't just go buy a bang stick, but as Charlie said it wouldn't make good TV. My concern about this show is that someone watching it who doesn't know about guns and the law will think you can just drop into a gun store and buy a machine gun, suppressor or rocket launcher. They barely mention paperwork and never mention the hoops you have to go through to buy one of these items.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Funny you guys should mention this. About ten years ago I bought a box full of gunparts at an Estate auction. In it was a 'Bangstick' (Tradename) chambered for 44magnum. You unscrewed the barrel or tube, dropped the round into it and screwed it back on. Had a spring on the bottom surrounding the firing pin and the tube would move back. There was a groove in the tube that caught the rim of the case. You then put a piece of Electrical tape over the muzzle or a balloon and taped it in place. Came with a three foot rod(That part was missing). After loading you screwed it onto the rod and jabbed the Shark hard with it.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Retmsgt,

fwiw, i've tried the "pistol caliber" Bangsticks & they will not RELIABLY "take the starch out of" a BIG shark.
(say over 500# or so)

12 guage is THE ANSWER.
(sharks have SMALL/"easy to miss" brains. otoh, the massive trauma of a 12 guage round going-off most anywhere in the main part of the body will work well.)

fyi, i do NOT wish to be "tossed about" again. = it was "UN-FUN"!

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Roger that SW! I don't want to be close enough to a big Shark to use one!!!!!!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Retmsgt,

fyi, i'm a "shark eating man" & longtime shark fisherman & i want a bangstick that will RELIABLY dispatch a BIG shark EVERY time.
(some of the best eating out there is shark, provided that they are dressed IMMEDIATELY upon landing. - if it is to be eaten, we dress/ice-down the shark within 10-15 minutes.)

fwiw, i "know" that there is a world's record shark out there that i'm destined to take. - fyi, my largest to date was a 600+ pound blacktip that i got in, tagged, measured & released.
(she was full of pups.)

yours, sw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts