Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Looks kinda cool. How long has this been on? This is the first I've heard of it, and I spend a lot of time on the History Channel.

I like the part where the guy is saying how much she loves her job - shooting guns, riding in haftracks and blowing stuff up. A guy off camera says, "you could join the army." The daughter replies, "Yeah, but those guys are shooting at you!"

Common sense is a wonderful thing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked as several of the clips. That would be a nice job. Of course, having worked retail in a gun shop in Vermont, there are always downside, but that is why it is called work.

Walt, now you need to get a Master Key added to one of your AK's. You can bet Seth would want one for sure!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It's brand new

The first one I saw had a supressed shotgun (yes they did it) and shooting a civil war cannon. DVR material

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean Henderson said:
I looked as several of the clips. That would be a nice job. Of course, having worked retail in a gun shop in Vermont, there are always downside, but that is why it is called work.

Walt, now you need to get a Master Key added to one of your AK's. You can bet Seth would want one for sure!
My AK is just right, but you are correct, Seth will want one.

Seth wants one of everything that burns powder... :lol:

And I think that I heard it mentioned that Will of Red Jacket was formerly one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

That would explain some things...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They played the first two eps back to back last night 1/27/11. I saw it on the schedule and went to take a look and stayed for both half hours.

Geoff
Who suspects it takes longer and costs more everywhere..

·
Registered
921 Posts
I caught the rerun on Sunday afternoon. Found it mildly entertaining.

They do say "Don't try this at home" like the guys on Mythbusters, but for the most part, trying out the stunts on Mythbusters isn't illegal . . . sometimes foolish and occasionally dangerous, but not actually against the law.

On the other hand, cutting down shotguns and fabricating suppressors like they did on Sons of Guns without a manufacturer's license or a completed Form 1 will get you a stay in Club Fed. It won't surprise me at all if someone, somewhere, is already messing with a cut down suppressed shotgun in his garage as a result of what he saw on the show, despite the "don't try this at home" disclaimer. The comment about "ATF paperwork" probably slipped by most casual viewers.

(Also, did anyone notice that while a shotgun is good for breaching doors, it's useless against bad guys once the door is open - the officer has to transition to sidearm or rifle? It's on TV, so it much be true. :roll: )

WaltGraham said:
. . . And I think that I heard it mentioned that Will of Red Jacket was formerly one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

That would explain some things...
Indeed it would. :lol:

G

·
I enjoyed the show... I was hoping to be impressed with something 'new and cool', but I'll just have to wait and see...

whats was it? 145 Db? for the silenced shotty? thats sorta loud... IMHO..... I would have given them the :thumbsup: :shocked: :thumbsup: if it was at or under 100 Db

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't think they said what the bare gun did, but their first supressor effort gave ~165 so the second one was a big improvement. I'm having brain fade at the moment, but I know that dB measurement is on a log scale and I think a reduction of one dB is a 10% change

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The customer seemed happy with the result and perfectly willing to part with his money.

That would seem to me to be the primary determination of the efficacy of the work done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As far as the shotgun is concerned as an entry weapon...(sorry but, I believe I read the term "useless") it is most decidedly a contender. While the breacher has the option to transition to his "primary" weapon, in this case an M4 or an AR15 derivative, the 12 gauge at entry distances is devastating and still being used by many departments. As far as being useless, I seriously doubt ANYONE here would want to be on the receiving end of a 12 gauge under any circumstances.

In my opinion, anyone who says they want a suppressed shotgun because it's "easier to shoot" is full of it. It is nothing but an ego stroke in my humble opinion.

The Master Key is not new, it's not a novel idea, it's been done before but, it's cool to see them do this in what can only be considered a "purely" entertainment based show on what can be done with a little money and imagination.

I think that the players in the show have watched waaaay too many episodes of American Pickers, West Coast Choppers, Orange County Choppers, and all those shows who's formulas work really well but are becoming just a bit blase! It is too hammed up for me as far as the "real life" interactions are concerned... that being said, still quite entertaining.

I'm sure that all the fabrication work is being done under some kind of FFL license or else yes, it would be completely illegal to manufacture such weapons. The BATF does NOT have a sense of humor when it comes to these things.

All-in-all, I'll keep watching until it completely bores me or I can't handle the "for the camera realism" any longer but so far it's been interesting.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think folks are thinking a bit "Hollyweird" here. The shotgun breaching weapon is full of breacher rounds, because in real life (TM) it may take more than one shot to take out a door or a second door etc.

In my salad days I was a Small Arms Repairman and Inspector (hey, I didn't know any better) therefore in a Maintenance Unit I got assigned "Special Weapons" the M-16A1 / M-203 "over and under." The 203, a temporary expedient while a real weapon was developed, has been with us ever since, at best, it works, usually.

The transition to a weapon with more rounds and better accuracy is a great advantage.

Geoff
Who would have found a way to brace against the magazine well...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My initial thought when the requirement for transition from the shotgun to a rifle or handgun was stated was that a more precise tool might be needed after entry.

A shotgun might be a prohibited choice for engaging a bad guy in close proximity to to a hostage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our department still has 10" 870s with the stock sawed off to a pistol grip in use for entry and is used at the team member's or team leader's discretion based on intel relating to the specific warrant.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The more I think about a surpressed shotgun for home defense the more I like it. If I have time to grab the gun, but not the hearing protection, hummm.
Food for thought.

Geoff
Who has more pressing needs for that kind of money...sigh.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The suppressed shotgun appeared to have a lot of slots cut into the barrel, for most of its length . . . sort of like some .22s with integral suppressors. The difference is, switching to HS ammo in the .22 still gives you high subsonic velocity. Any guesses as to what velocites will be in the shotgun if you start bleeding off gas just ahead of the chamber?

I've often thought that a suppressed SMG would make a good firearm for home defense, but given the dearth of transferrable HK MP5SD's (and their prices!) a suppressed SBR might be nearly as good, and FAR more affordable. ($200 for the SBR stamp and $200 for the suppressor stamp, right?)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
It's brand new

The first one I saw had a suppressed shotgun (yes they did it) and shooting a civil war cannon. DVR material
If I remember to take my camera to the range tomorrow night, I'll take a few photo's of a fully suppressed 20ga shotgun - literally all you hear is the "click".
One of the few advantages we have in the UK is ease of access to suppressors or sound moderators. No fuss & no fees if you think ahead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts