Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people here are probably "dog" people. Well, I like dogs as well as anyone (my sister has a black lab which is a REALLY NICE dog) but I have always been a "cat" person.
When I moved to Alabama in 1994 I picked up a cat from the local pound, a tiger-stripe cat with calico, black, and a little white in her markings. She was then so small she fit in one hand. I named her "Tisiphone" after one of the three "furies" in Greek mythology.
Of course she grew up and became an adult...
About mid March she became very un-interested in her food. She was not only eating less but drinking water like crazy. Which was NOT like her. She normally inhaled her food. In fact she liked human food; liverwurst was a favorite. She like potato chips. She would raid potato chip bags while I was away if she could get to them.
Back in March I took her to a vet, who ruled out diabetes and kidney problems. The vet gave her an injection and provided me with some pills, none of which helped, At that time she was 5 lbs 3 oz.
That was two and a half weeks ago, and since then she's gotten worse. Today I took her to the vet and she was down to 4 lbs. 11 oz. The vet could not provide an extensive diagnosis without in depth blood tests, but Tisiphone was nearing 17 years old, which is old, for a cat, in decimated condition. There was no hope for her getting better, and if her condition deteriorated further it would become painful.
I had her euthanized today.
I've had to do this before .... and I've seen pets come and go in my life before. I'll get over this .... eventually I will rescue another cat from the pound ....

This was Tisiphone:

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Dogs, cats, hamsters, whatever, pets are family. Sorry for your loss Tommygunn.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Sorry for you loss, Tommy. I'm still not completely over the loss of my little poodle mutt Daisy, and it's been over a decade now. :cry:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, I'm a "cat person" too, and I've also lost a favorite lap warmer, so I understand completely. But you still have 17 nice years to remember and enjoy in retrospect.

I hope that another, with equally lovely eyes and a comfortable, loud purr, shows up in your life very soon.

(I'm married to a "dog person" who is allergic to cat dander, so I can only share the neighbor's cat, and only outside the house.)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry for your loss Tommy.

We had to put down our yellow lab back in November. General Sherman was 13 1/2, old for a lab. I know you miss your cat. We miss Sherman greeting us every time we got home. I still expect him to be at the door each time we open it.

As has been said, you'll get another cat but this one you won't forget. Pets do that to you.

Bob Mac

·
Registered
107 Posts
I feel your pain. My cat Beaker took a sudden turn for the worst after a 2 year battle with a condition that prohibited him from gaining nutrition from what he eats. I wa forced to watch him decline. I was out of town on business when my wife called to say he was really bad. I didn't make it home before he passed. He was 21 years old and was my best buddy. But as fate would have it, within a few days, I found a small stray under my bushes who was the sweetest, most adorable little girl, who has captured my heart. I couldn't live with out my kitties. Sorry for your loss! :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sympathize and empathize.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
TG, I'm just back from Puerto Rico again, with The Continuing Saga, a very complex mess of law, finance, real estate problems, also sad issues re Dad's estate, got in yesterday. Was gone for nearly 35 days, and Make Ready was THE ONLY internet web site I could not access with my new Dell laptop with mobile broadband. E-mails to a neighbor got El Jefe working on it, but could not get on at all. As you know also, I'm a cat person. Sum yall may remember that my last cat Maxine, ate tainted Chinese cat food from the brands that made headlines, went through a bad last two years, and died at 20 in the summer of '08. I am very sorry for your latest loss. They are all very special, every pet, all family, and I had cats for all but five or six years of a recent 42 year period.

As a nomad for the next several years, and maybe for the rest of my life, it means I'll probably never have another house pet, but none of us "cat peoples"' cats nor any pets are ever forgotten, indeed.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your input Bloofington, I appreciate it. I do recall your cat and the problem with the tainted food.
Monday the 9th I went to the local poound and looked at the cats they had. Some looked real promising, but I am not quit ready to get one right now but it's fun looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts