Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this browsing around for fodder. Thought you all might like it. This gun has the potential to meet New Jersey's new requirements and hence set the three-year cycle into motion. Luckily it isn't quite ready for production yet, but the article makes it sound like it could be ready soon. :banghead:

My "favorite" quote
"The device is designed to empower a country's authorities with absolute control over the gun's life history"
GOD HELP US ALL

Click below for the story.
http://iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=iol1047630378830C416

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joke or not, if they can produce this, some asshole in NJ will sell it. Once that law goes into effect, the reprocussions to the gun industry in America could be huge. Just look at California and cars - Cali deciced to enact tougher emission standards for cars and all of a sudden more cars start being manufactured with them. No manufacturer wants to make two sets of products.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Thankfully there are two things going against this concept: 1) cost to produce the firearm, 2) the ammunition.

In order to bring that kind of technology to a mass produced firearm the end cost of each unit will be prohibitive, no matter what the designers are hoping for. The ammo is another story. The concept is great in a lab or controlled test environment. However, in the real world shit happens. I’ve seen conventional ammunition not hold up to the abuse of the consumers, much less high tech ammo.

Some gun designers are completely out of touch with reality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another biggie against this...

...is the fact that ALL technology can be overcome.

Anything encryption device created by man can be overcome by another man; some hackers just live for things like this. I don't care how much this guy goes on about the "fixed memory that can not be changed", believe me, there is some guy out there that will do it and as soon as he does this gun will become a thing of the past. Think of all of the computer codes that have been broken, the DSS satellite technology that is circumvented day after day, etc and it will be evident that this will not stand the test of time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize that... after all, I am the programmer here. ;-)

Lest we forget, there is such thing as the DMCA in america. Granted, that goes for copyright infringment and preventing folks from overcoming security measures designed to prevent copying, but that law in itself has been used MORE TIMES for non-copyright related issues, that it could very well be a SERIOUS CRIME to overcome the security measures, even without additional legislation.

·
Registered
723 Posts
As far as NJ goes... they don't have to work, and they don't have to sell either? They just have to produce one and offer it for sale?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mike, that's about right, as I recall. Commercial availability was the key factor, not performance. Hopefully no US company will import this junk from South Africa so they will not be commercially available in NJ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts