Gunhub.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Richard,

When's SC getting CCW reciprocal with Florida? Yours is the only state in the block that is not.

I ask because I'm going there the last weekend of April for the Area 6 USPSA championship. Will you be there? It's in Summerville.

Have a very good shooter friend in Columbia, Jack Suber. You know him?

Later!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Grass Roots SC is working on serveral issues right now. We just recently found out about a part of the law that's never been enforced, and are working to rememdy it first.
It seems that if you go to your Uncle Joe's farm to do a little shooting with him, and he says, "Here, try my little S&W M60," and you do, two laws have been broken. He's not supposed to let someone else shoot HIS gun, and that's a misdemeanor. By asking you if you wanted to, and you agreeing, that's a felony crime of conspiring to commit a misdemeanor. So far, we're making good headway with remedying that.

As to reciprocity, what GRSC has in mind eventually is not reciprocity, but reconition instead. IOW, if you've got a CWP from your state, you're legal in SC. How's THAT?!!

As a note of interest, and a matter of pride, I founded GRSC. AT the time, I was very active on the boards and in my gun club, both as a shooter and politically so. I had seen something about GRNC on the 'net, and when our club had a monthly meeting where it was announced that it looked like the "shall issue" law was going to pass, I mentioned GRNC and its mission. A short discussion ensued, with the result that the club, Mid-Carolina Rifle Club, start its own GRSC for the same purpose, and they appointed me head of it, and gave me a small amount of club funds with which to rent a mailbox and get things started.
Unfortunately for me, it was shortly after this that some serious financial difficulties cropped up which prevented me not only from fulfilling my duties to GRSC, but also prevented me from being able to rejoin the club at all for the next several years (this was in '95, IIRC.) As a matter of fact, it was only 2 months ago that I rejoined the club, and will be rejoining GRSC next month (($15 annual fee ain't too bad, and $100 annual fee for MCRC membership is more than a bargain, it's a steal! GREAT facility!)

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I'll be shooting the Area 6 on Friday.
Linda Chico, formerly of P*, is the statistician for the match.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!

Tim,

Why are you shooting Friday? Will you be RO'ing on Sat and Sun? If you stay for the weekend we may get to meet.

Linda is the statistician and overall match organizer extraordinaire!!

See you there!

Nemo
aka
Nelson Colón
TY 32791

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Re: Great!

Nemo said:
Why are you shooting Friday? Will you be RO'ing on Sat and Sun?
No, it's just a lot easier to get a kitchen pass for one day, than it is to get the whole weekend off.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Tim, Linda's a great gal. When you see her, tell her I said hello, and tell her I might be coming back to do some IPSCing soon.

SC's state IDPA match is next month, and if the dates don't interfere with my grandson's birtdays and party, I'm thinking of entering. It's going to be held on the 24th, but the financial considerations might hold me back. We shall see. Got a lot on the plate.

Patrick "Buckshot" Grant will be 2 on 4/15, and Jayden "Birdshot" Grant will be 1 on 4/21. A Chucke Cheese party is planned on the 17th, with 14 invited kids guests, but we're expecting extended adult family members numbering somewhere between 35 and 70 to attend. (My Sister's youngest son, Edgar, will also be celebrating his 23rd birthday on 4/21.)

Hope I'll see you there! (Edit added: Tim, I hope I'll see you at the IDPA match...duh on me.)

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
Patrick "Buckshot" Grant will be 2 on 4/15, and Jayden "Birdshot" Grant will be 1 on 4/21. A Chucke Cheese party is planned on the 17th, with 14 invited kids guests, but we're expected extended adult family members numbering somewhere between 35 and 70 to attend....

Hope I'll see you there!
Richard you are a braver man then I! So far I've been able to avoid Chucky Cheese but I don't know for how much longer...

Ed

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ed, I'm really looking forward to it! I'll have my digital video cam, my digital cam, and my Canon EOS Elan 7 ready to rock 'n' roll! I'm set up to burn CD's and DVD's on my present computer, and I've got a feeling that I'll be tied up for several weeks after the party editing and burning. (Note to self: get extra batteries for EVERYTHING, and extra 35mm film and MiniDV cassettes.)

We already gave Patrick his present, on St. Patrick's day. It was a Radio Flyer 1956 Classic tricycle. His Dad and I assembled it in the garage, and then had the rest of the family gather in the kitchen. When I came in with the trike in my hand and said "Patrick, this is your birthday present from Grampa and Grammie Debbie," he literally and audibly gasped; his eyes got real big, and there was the most beautiful look of wonder in his eyes....

I now know why they call them "Grand"parents: it's the grandest thing in the world!

I love Jesus.
I love my wife.
I love my daughter.
I love my grandsons.
I love my sister and her fiance.
I love my nephews (one is married.)

I'd gladly give my life for any of them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brother Richard

AMEN!

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Well Richard, it sounds to me like you are a man who's got his priorities in order!

Kids never cease to amaze me with the things they come up with and say...

Enjoy!

Ed

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thnk you, Ed. I've only just recently gotten my prorities right. It took nearly 49 years, but I know I'm on the right track now.

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
Thnk you, Ed. I've only just recently gotten my prorities right. It took nearly 49 years, but I know I'm on the right track now.
Amen Brother! I'm pushing 45 and learning. (Kids will do that to you)

Ed

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
SpecialEd said:

Ed
Man, wait until you become a Grandaddy! That'll do it to you even more!

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Richard Jefferies said:
SpecialEd said:

Ed
Man, wait until you become a Grandaddy! That'll do it to you even more!
I have a long way to go there, (if I make it) My boys are 9 and 6.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Update on SC

THe SC legislature has passed a repeal of the one-handgun-a-month law that was passed in 1975. It will go into effect immediately upon signing by the Governor, Mark Sanford. Sanford will sign it, as he's a pretty good supporter of RKBA.

Of course, the Brady Bunch is moaning about it, but that's not being noticed much except by the blissninnies. They seem to ignore the fact that SLED (State Law Enforcement Division) Chief Robert Stewart nailed it on the head when he said that the law, originally passed in 1975, had failed to do what it was supposed to do. At that time, 10% of guns used in street crime in NYC were traced to SC. After being in effect for nealy 30 years, the law has served no purpose except to be a hassle to law-abiding gun owners. Stewart quoted a report from the U. S. attorney's office dated 2002 that showed that 12% of guns used in NYC street crime were still coming from SC.

Keeping in mind that NYC has had a drop in crime rates which had nothing to do with any other state, it seems that we are finally getting it right.

If those damn Yankee NYCer's can't handle their own crime problems, don't point the finger at other states. Your problems are yours; don't make them ours!

The repeal faced very little opposition.

Next stop--Vermont style carry! Hooray!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm pretty sure he did sign it not too long after it was passed, although I do not KNOW that for sure. Some checking is in order. Will get back to you on this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep, he signed it some time ago. BTW, GrassRootsSC is a great organization. Their list of accomplishments for SC gunowners is truly impressive. I've been a member pretty much from the start. Thanks for your efforts, Richard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. I just bought a 1911 today, and that line of the form had been marked out. And thank both of you for what you're doing with Grassroots. I just found out about it not long ago, and I'm going to join soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts