Gunhub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the ride with Quag to the South store this morning. We pulled up right at 7:30am and were 4th in line. Like Quag, I was able to snag one of the few FG IHC's they had. While it's a total mixmaster it did come with a nice LMR barrel with a TE of 2+ and a MW of 1. It alone made the trip worthwhile.
The main thing I was looking for was a low six digit serial SA. I didn't care if it was FG or Rack. Just wanted to find one that spoke to me. I did find a few, but ended up picking up a 25k serial grade "B" receiver. For $125 I couldn't go wrong. I have no visions of building it original, but it will be a fun build anyway.

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/brutaltuna/100_3410.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/brutaltuna/100_3411.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/brutaltuna/100_3416.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
You did good BT. I still want that receiver!! :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Great Scores!

You did good Tuna. A IHC alone made the trip worthwhile. If you look at that 5 digit next to the IHC receiver do you notice that the later IHC reciever looks fatter then the early one? I think they got fatter as the production progressed, early recievers are thinner in the heal area. What makes that reciever a grade B? It looks grade A to me. You have all four manufactures now right? Cool!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tuna, you did good. I also got one of the FG IHC's looks a lot like yours and is a total mix master. Which isn't all bad because the bolt is WRA, the trigger assembly is a new correct HRA, and the op rod is a new SA, put that with the IHC receiver and I have all four manufactures in one rifle! I really like your 5 digit, thats a good find but it would cost a fortune to make it correct. A good shooter looks to be in order. Were there any woodless Danes?
Bill

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I do have all four manufacturers. My one Winchester is a build up from a receiver I bought through the CMP (luck of the draw).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... d2d67d.jpg

It's a 100k receiver so my main mission for this trip was a low six digit SA to go with it. I guess the low five digit will have to do. :D
The "B" grade receiver has been reparked at some point of it's history and does show some pitting on the underside of the heel. There is just enough surface rust (although light) that I think I may have to strip it down and repark it again. Too bad since it is a nice color finish on there. In any case I won't try to build it correct. May just try to find a few early features parts like a grooved rear HG clip to set it apart. Any good sources for early parts?
No woodless Danes at all. It's a real shame cause I would have definitely come back with one or two if they had them. Those racks were filled with rack grade rifles. They did have HRA rack grades on the rack if anyone is interested. They had a good supply of the FG Danes. Probably a dozen or so with lockbars on them (they didn't last long). Still plenty of barrelled receivers. I was surprised that the serials varied from six digit up to 5.8 mil.
They had about 15 or so real nice Remington 1903A3's out and a good supply of 1903's. A bunch of drill rifles too that may be worth pulling parts off. The welds just broke my heart.
I guess the good news is that even if they are out of the thing you are going after, it's a safe bet that you will still be going home with something.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i didn't know the sotres had I.H.C. Garands. how much are they going for??
did you guy happen to look at the H&R rackers, wondering how they looked since i got one coming.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
corvetteed,
The IHC's were $750. I didn't spend a lot of time on the HRA racks, but I did glance at them. They looked to be in good shape. I didn't see any real ugly wood on them or anything. I think the bore/barrel condition will be the biggest question for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
How many IHC's did they have ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cops504 said:
How many IHC's did they have ?
They had about ten when we got there. Most sold that morning, but I understand they brought more out during the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts