Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's lots of information on the IDPA website about the dozens of holsters that are okay for the competition. However, I don't want to buy 10 to find one that I like, of course I'm willing to buy several over time. There's no selection in stores around here, so I'm looking for specific ideas. Please be kind and suggest a few below 50 bucks since I don't want to spend a fortune before the first (IDPA) competion in October.

Thanks for any specific suggestions,

John
Carrying a Taurus (Compact 9mm) PT111, Millennium.

·
Registered
183 Posts
CCW or IDPA?

John,

Is the holster you're looking for ONLY for competition or would it be used for daily carry also?

If for competition only I'm 100% in agreement with Dean, get the Uncle Mike's injection-molded plastic holster and one of their plastic double mag pouches. That setup should serve you very well for IDPA for less than $30.

However, if you intend to also use the holster for daily carry, the Uncle Mike's belt loop system is not belt-friendly (hard to thread and take off the belt) and makes the holster ride to far away from the body.

Comp-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/) and Predator (http://www.predator-holsters.com/products-page.html) holsters, both make not too expensive kydex paddle holster that I would use for daily OWB carry and for the practical shooting games.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Nemo

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
I thought that the idea behind IDPA was to use what you carry. Has it devolved into gamesmanship too?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Always...

Of course it's a game... As long as your targets don't shoot back, it's always a game :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Csmkersh,

It was my understanding that the only IWB holsters used in IDPA were by law enforcement that use the IWB holsters on 'The Job.' My choice on the street is IWB. Since I'm a corporate pilot, it's not carried during work, though I may have misread the rules of IDPA on what is permitted to wear during competition.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Call me Sam if you prefer. The CSM is the rank I retired at. Considering my propensity to say what I'm thinking, it's a wonder I didn't retire at PFC.

John, I'm not trying to pick on you - I honestly don't know the rules. I don't know if IWB holsters are cop only "on the job" deals. Other than a shoulder holster or a rare strong side belt rig, I use nothing but one of Milt Sprks IWB holsters. Goes from a Summer Special to a the newer Heritage. I'm going to take Dean's and Charlie's advice one of these days and buy a Rosen ARG.

I'd be thoughly POed if I was told no IWB if I was going to shoot at a IDPA event.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sam,

IDPA has their approved list, and includes lots of IWB type holsters on 'the list.' Mostly there are paddle type or belt type - 'pancake' holsters worn outside. It was interesting trying to find answers to basic questions such as types of belts, or belt widths or other 'particulars' in terms of not wasting money on things that would be rejected by an official at the first competition for a new IDPA competitor, namely me.

The reference to "daily wore holster" on the IDPA website appears to be a typo and probably should read 'daily wear holster.'

Just received in today's mail, a new leather Bianchi IWB (model 6), with open top for concealed carry, paid 9.49 incl. shipping - ebay. That's less than 10 bucks and was delivered to my door. :lol:

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
csmkersh said:
I thought that the idea behind IDPA was to use what you carry. Has it devolved into gamesmanship too?
Though it may not satisfy the purest of the
purists, I think that an OWB holster--worn
in the same place that one wears one's IWB
holster--is just fine for matches. On the street
one will draw once and be done with it.
In a match, one usually has to do several draws
and, when using an IWB, one's shirttail can tend
to migrate out and spoil the show. At the very least,
it slows down the line to have to keep tucking
everything away properly.

As to the Uncle Mike's mag pouches; the doubles
are serviceable, but bulky. Their singles are very