Gun Hub Forums banner

Springfield M1A s/n X004 ?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DarrellWallace 
#1 ·
hi all,
thank you in advance for any help.

I have run across a Springfield Armory M1A (TRW bbl/bolt) with the serial number X004. Can anybody help with any information about what this might be?

thank you!
dale

See less See more
#3 ·
Since I last posted, I have been in correspondence with the owner of M1A serial numbers X001 and X002. He supplied several photos and some information related to the previous owners. Dale, if you have access to serial number X004, please send me a PM.

Without going into a lot of detail, IMO, the X prefix serial number M1A receivers were manufactured in 1983. The dimensional geometry of receivers X001 and X002 mirror M1A receivers made in 1983.

#5 ·
There were some M1 Garand receivers modified to accept M14 magazines and given a bolt stop by Elmer Ballance dba L H Gun Company before M1A receiver production started in the fall of 1971.

I believe I know what serial numbers X001 through X006 are (the purpose of the X prefix serial number) but I would like to get better photographs of the underside of at least one of them to confirm my suscipion.

#8 ·
I believe that I remember you from years ago and we have some mutual friends. Do you still have your M14 website up? You had a picture of my X006 rifle on there for years. I still have my copy of The History and Development of the M14 Rifle. The last time we spoke several years ago, you mentioned that while visiting Springfield Armory, you had been told that all the X00? rifles were made for one particular person and eluded that they were politically recognizable and wanted to remain anonymous? You would remember me as "Seacowboys".

#7 ·
I have heard that some of the early M1A's were GI receiver re-welds. If the process is done right, you can end up with a receiver that is every bit as good as it originally was. Just not real easy to pull that off.

No idea on that particular one, but what a cool rifle to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.