Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a connection between the old Springfield Armory and the current new Springfield Armory that sells new 1911, M14, and Garands?
Is this the same company or did somebody buy the name when the old Springfield closed their plant.
The way they do some of their advertising you'd think it's the same company that's been around for 100 years.
Who can enlighten me on this?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
No connection. In a brilliant marketing move, a man from Texas bought the name when the old Springfield shut its doors. After several changing of hands, the company is now based in Ill.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ask cornbread, he will tell you!!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
SA closed their doors in 1968.

·
Registered
659 Posts
the REAL SA. The "new" SA inc is a whole different CO. I learned that here, as SA makes it seem like they are the same CO that made WW2 rifles.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I wish this board was in existence when I was trying to find out what a Tangent was! :roll:

·
Registered
125 Posts
You will note that the current company is Springfield Inc. DBA as Springfield armory. If I recall the real Springfield armory was owned and operated by the United States Government.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Shotar,

Yepper

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ltcboy:
On top of that-they also make tires.

MIke
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike , Are you tryin' to add a little confusion ?

Kelly
It's true though-- doesnt Kelly-Springfield make tires?

MIke

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes ITCHY Boy there the same only different!

Kelly Springfield is a tire manufacture owned by Goodyear and NO
connection to the gunmakers Springfield Armory Inc. in Geneseo Illinois who bought the rights to use the defunct Springfield Armory[name] that made guns for the U.S goverment since the days of George Washington up til 1968.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
This spread like a disease.

There's been at least two commercial "Rock Island" Arsenal's or Armory's, and several other uses of government arsenal names over the years.

There's even been use of former Confederate armory names.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I believe that Rock Island is also owned by the Reese family that owns SA INC.

Who knows, when it's all said, and done The Reeses, and Berreta will own everything in the gun industry.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
BSA air guns and scopes

Indian motorcycles

Armalite rifles

All have nothing to do with the original company.

Where are browning guns made? where were weatherbys made?

let it go. :roll:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Amen!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
SA INC with their "oldest name in American firearms" BS is misleading the general public.

They are making those that are not aware of the truth believe that they are the origional Springfield Armory and that is not right. They even make the claim "since 1798".

That is how they manage to sell that $1,200 POS Garand to most of the people that are foolish enough to buy one.

I know several people who would love to shove one of their "new" Garands up the butt of the ad guy who come up with this BS.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Ok, Ok,
Now for the REAL tuff questions~
WHERE did the ORIGINAL equipment from SA end up? OR even Rock Islands'????????????

Seems in my mind~ the owners of the that equipement (in whole or in part) today would have a better claim on SA's reputation.

Metalhead

1 - 20 of 208 Posts