Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in 'loading mode', before my garage becomes a 5,000 degree oven. I have been loading 41 Magnum with mixed brass. All was going well until I began loading with virgin Starline brass.

I am using a new carbide RCBS die set. The sizing and decapping die is set as low as it can go. After I size the case it will not fit into the cylinder. It is just the last little bit which will not slide in; even with some force. All other brass that I use works perfectly. This same problem happens with Starline 45 Colt brass.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Will the virgin brass go into the cylinder before sizing?

If it is loaded ammo check the crimp.

I use a lot of Starline brass and haven't had any problem like that.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Charlie,

Yes, I can get the unprimed case into the cylinder. The case measures to the same length as the other brands that I have been using. The crimp is the same also. Maybe I should try to reduce the crimp on the Starline brass???

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Try measuring the case mouth of one of your Starline loads and comparing it with something that will chamber. Chances are the brass may be just a tad thicker and slightly more crimp will fix it.

I've gotten to the point that I try the first round in the chamber before loading more... especially if there is a component change.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try in the next couple of days and let you know how it worked.

By the way, I also try to chamber a couple of rounds when I begin to load, however apparently I tried to chamber on a different brand case. All other will work, Starline will not. I will increase the crimp.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
When I was having a similar problem I got a Lee factory crimp die and it did the trick. Some guys don't like them for some reason. Worked for me.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Joe I generally get by with the normal die, but if I really care about the ammo I used the Redding profile crimp.

The biggest problem with cases like .41, .44 and .45 Colt is the variation in length among the different brands. If it is something important I try to start with new brass...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In measuring the loaded Starline v PMC case at the crimp, the measurement is the same 0.43" (I am using a plastic measure, so it may be as accurate as I need). The PMC round slides in the cylider, the Starline will not.

I have not segregated and individually seated cases by brand in a very long time, however maybe in the instance of Starline this will be necessary. I will let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
When I was having the problem everything measured within limits and was very consistent. It was something with the particular bullets I was loading. 225 gr. TC lead. They were the same diameter as all the others that chambered. It might have been a combination of feeding as well as chambering. I tried everything from more crimp with the regular die to changing the seating depth. The Lee die worked. I'm not saying that the others wouldn't have worked. The Lee is what was available. Ended up with 500 rounds of ammo that has yet to give a problem. Originally I couldn't get even the first round to go bang.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set up my dies specifically for the Starling brass and measured as I went. I just loaded 6 cases and had to report my findings so far:

**The brass will easily enter the cylinder prior to sizing
**The brass will easily enter the cylinder after sizing
**The bullet seats properly and and stronger crimp has been adjusted
**The first 6 completed cases will enter the cylinder with a little effort (push at the end)
**Removing the loaded case from the cylinder requires a push from the ejector rod
**RP & W/W cases slide in easily using the above set up and do not require the 'push'
**RP & W/W cases do not require the rod to remove the loaded round from cylinder

I am hopeful that the additional crimp has solved the problem. Apparently, the problem manifests itself after the case bell or the bullet is seated (my gauge is not accurate enough for me to tell definitively). The case bell is adequate to accept the LSWC that I am using. I try to bell the case just enough so that the bullet enters the case and there is no shaving of the lead.

I have about 300 Starline cases left in .41 Magnum and another 500 in 45 Colt (unopened box). I was going to toss them, but will now load the remaining 41's. When I try the 45 Colt brass I will report if any problems are encountered. I will order additional RP or W/W to finish my loading for the season. They load much easier with much less effort on me and the press. It takes considerably longer to load with the Starline brass.

I will let you know if any additional problems arise. Thanks to all for the support. You were great!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have had it (and I do not quit easily). I went back to reloading the 41’s and the problems with primer seating and case belling which seemed like small problems previously have put me over the top. I have been reloading for over 30 years and have never experienced these problems - ever. My arms are sore, and I can load other cases three or four to one over these. I called a friend told him what has happened and he will still take them off my hands.

Thanks for the help, guys. I really do appreciate your support. Time to move on.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Sarge I really don't know what to say.

Obviously the problem is somewhere in expanding or crimping unless somehow the bullets are oversize which I doubt since they work with other brass.

Starline has a really nice young man named Hunter Pilant who does technical support. I suggest that you give him a call since going back and forth via e-mail is too slow. 660-827-6640. Tell him I referred you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts